Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What Other Band Got You Into Sonic Youth?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Band Got You Into Sonic Youth?
Nirvana 26 36.11%
Pearl Jam 1 1.39%
Mudhoney 1 1.39%
Dinosaur Jr 0 0%
Neil Young 0 0%
Phish 1 1.39%
The Strokes 0 0%
Wilco 1 1.39%
SONIC YOUTH! 16 22.22%
Other (list in comments) 26 36.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08.14.2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe you're like me and you just discovered Sonic Youth randomly twisting the left side of the radio dial a long, long time ago (it was "She's in a Bad Mood", and I never turned back!) However, most people I meet were more likely turned onto SY by some other band dropping their name or touring with them. Nirvana of course were huge cheerleaders for them, but so have been other groups. So who, if anyone, got you into SY, and do you still like that first band as well?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 05:42 PM   #2
al shabbray

as I mentioned before: yes Nirvana
and I still like em, but definately do not listen to them often these days
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them on The Simpsons when I was about 11 and thought they looked pretty cool. At that time I took most of my musical tasting from TV, I didn't have the internet just yet.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 06:05 PM   #4
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The first I ever heard of 'em was courtesy of Pete Buck in a R.E.M. interview circa Fables.

An aside, but Confusion is Sex is the first one I got and I worked my way from there (eventually getting the ep).
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
DDN was my first, I recognised the cover. Then Dirty.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
The first I ever heard of 'em was courtesy of Pete Buck in a R.E.M. interview circa Fables.

An aside, but Confusion is Sex is the first one I got and I worked my way from there (eventually getting the ep).

I should have put R.E.M. in the poll. I forgot how much they pushed SY early on as well as touring with them in the '90s. Too late to change the list.
Old 08.14.2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I saw them on The Simpsons when I was about 11 and thought they looked pretty cool. At that time I took most of my musical tasting from TV, I didn't have the internet just yet.

Matt Groening would be very, very happy to hear that.
Old 08.14.2008, 06:34 PM   #8
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
The Hives. Hmm, not really, but I discovered Sonic Youth because they played the Nevermind (what was it anyway) video at the Virgin Megastore I was in to buy The Hives' albums. I was fascinated by that music, and that's how I discovered the band
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i think the first band that made me think "hmmm, maybe these art fags are actually doing something interesting" was thursday.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 07:31 PM   #10
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
My older brother brought back his album collection that he gathered from being away at UCLA. I was a high schooler starving for new music at the time so I grabbed them and listened. Daydream Nation was among them.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 07:33 PM   #11
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
goo had a cool cover and was used.
i bought it and my life was changed.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I remember seeing the video for 100% on MTV once when I was too young to even care about music. (It was around the time Dirty came out so I couldn't have been more than 6 years old). What got me into Sonic Youth was a progression from The Velvet Underground and luckily finding DDN one day.
Old 08.14.2008, 07:46 PM   #13
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I had to go w/ Nirvana, but I do remember first hearing them on, Welcome To Hell the Toy Machine skate video. The great artist/skater, Ed Templeton had, "Titanium Expose" as his music.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 08:04 PM   #14
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Wow, that's awesome! Fables came out in '85 too. Really neat that Peter was into that period of SY.

Anyway, uh, I got into the Yoof through the Pixies. I was looking for similar bands and someone recommended them to me. They weren't really similar at all, which led to my initial disappointment, but I've learned to love them over the years, even more than the Pixies.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
It wasn't another band that got me into them, but rather a guy I went to high school with. He sat next to me in biology and used to wear SY shirts a lot. I remember asking him about the band, and he let me borrow a couple cds.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 08:25 PM   #16
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Wow, that's awesome! Fables came out in '85 too. Really neat that Peter was into that period of SY.

I think I read the same article that Atari did, though I was already into SY by a few months. The one I read was in Pulse magazine (the magazine put out by Tower Records) and it had Buck's list of top ten favorite albums and Walls Have Ears was on the list.

Funny, because SY claimed to dislike that record and consider it a bootleg. Yet when I was at school in Bellingham with Steve Turner (prior to Mudhoney) he had a copy he'd lend me to take to my radio show.
Old 08.14.2008, 08:27 PM   #17
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
I had to go w/ Nirvana, but I do remember first hearing them on, Welcome To Hell the Toy Machine skate video. The great artist/skater, Ed Templeton had, "Titanium Expose" as his music.

same. and he used mote in jump of building. as well as rain on tin on good and evil. ed templeton is dah shit.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2008, 08:31 PM   #18
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
where's pavement in the options? pavement are responsible for a big chunk of my musical tastes.
Old 08.14.2008, 08:35 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My parents used to take my brother and I everywhere, so one night when they were invited to a nice dinner at a parishioner's house (my dad was an Episcopal Priest) we went too. my bro and I would be the only kids there. I was 13/14 and my brother was 11 or so. All the other guests were older couples whose children had al;ready left the house.
we were used to entertaining ourselves so we raided their magazine racks. I was reading an old and beat-up People magazine and looking at the music reviews. One of the reviews was for SISTER. It described a band that rocked in a way that made no fuckinh sense to me, a headbanger/metalhead at the time. they described sounds like industrial machinery walking around or squalls of sound or weird shit. wow. the picture showed these people who did not look like a band, not like def leppard or metallica or judas priest loooked like a band, you know?
A few months later I was watching 120 minutes and recording videos on the ol VHS. The title in the corner read "Teenage Riot/Sonic Youth/Daydream Nation" I hit record and sat in silence listening to the song unfold. it blew my fucking mind. the spazz video flummoxed my eyes, and brain and the flashing faces and people and some I recognized and many I did not. It was glorious.
it is hard to explain exactl;y how fuckijng different and cheap and bizarre and unnerving and cryptic that video was in 1987/88. There was nothing else like it.
I went to good ol sound exchange and found the Daydream Nation cassette. The cover befuddled me. a candle. a painting of a caNDLE. that did not jive with the freakazoids in the video I saw.
I bought it. Back then I read every tiny bit of print in the liner notes and on the cassette. bands would hide shit, they would sometimes leave messages to us , THE FANS.
the cassette smelled like mineral spirits/turpentine. The label was Blast First, which I had never heard of. WOW

daydream nation fucking rules all.

after that there was nothing else/ obsession began, and has continued to this day. I consider myself their #1 FAN! yeah! fuck all y'all!!!!

:P
:P

hahahaha, just kidding. I am stoned. I have had to correct so much spelling on this fducking post.

I had never heard of them other than people magazine and then 120 minutes. other bands did not mention them, like they mentioned the misfits or other such bands

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth