Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page science fiction (no gibson or dick)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2007, 06:14 PM   #41
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
bloodmusic was impressive. also Godmakers by
F Herbert (it's epic and it's like 200p).
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 07:54 PM   #42
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
If you want humor, go for Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series
Old 04.14.2007, 05:15 PM   #43
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
now what about ancient science fiction i mean the true inventors of the genre?

these i read when i was a kid so no idea today but eh! not everyone has read them..

jules verne:
  • 20,000 leagues under the sea
  • from the earth to the moon
  • voyage to the center of the earth
  • (dont know the name in english) "l'ile mysterieuse"
  • around the world in 80 days (really you have to realize the train & the steamship & the suez canal were quite fantastic back in the day and the world used to be immense before cheap jet airfares)
he's got a ton others but not sure if michel strogoff qualifies as science fiction, ha ha, & these i recall best

h.g. wells
  • war of the worlds
  • the invisible man
  • the time machine
  • the island of dr. moreau
he's got a ton of other stuf i haven't read either. thought it was worth mentioning...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2007, 07:23 PM   #44
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, I'm one of the Admins over at a Science Fiction Message Board where we discuss this type of stuff every day.

My personal favorites include Alistair Reynolds, Stanislaw Lem, C. J. Cherryh (she does fantasy too, but her science fiction is quite good), David Brin, Kathleen Ann Goonan, Octavia Butler, Ian McDonald, Michael Moorcock, H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, Greg Bear, J. G. Ballard, Barry Malzberg, Ursula K Le Guin, Samuel Delany.

I'm currently reading the latest Foreigner series book by C. J. Cherry, called, awkwardly, Deliverer. I like her Alliance/Union universe better than this one though.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 11:09 AM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Actually, I'm one of the Admins over at a Science Fiction Message Board where we discuss this type of stuff every day.

My personal favorites include Alistair Reynolds, Stanislaw Lem, C. J. Cherryh (she does fantasy too, but her science fiction is quite good), David Brin, Kathleen Ann Goonan, Octavia Butler, Ian McDonald, Michael Moorcock, H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, Greg Bear, J. G. Ballard, Barry Malzberg, Ursula K Le Guin, Samuel Delany.

I'm currently reading the latest Foreigner series book by C. J. Cherry, called, awkwardly, Deliverer. I like her Alliance/Union universe better than this one though.

oh oh oh oh... this is awesome. in that case i am looking for a reference and maybe you can help me?

years ago i read a jack vance book in translation. short stories, & i remember 2 quite vividly:

-transdimesional thought parasites that would take over a person's brain & create antagonism between the host species. they were invisible but the narrator was able to see them (i wonder if that's what possesses republicans?)
-some planet where there was no currency, but people traded on prestige through ritualistic social interaction-- they wear masks. the narrator is a foreigner who (i don't want to ruin this for the ones who haven't read it) has to learn how to survive here.

i wanted to read more but nothing else was available in that time & place-- could you help me find that book, or might you know the title of these short stories by any chance? ?? ??
Old 04.15.2007, 11:41 AM   #46
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
on ancient SF- not really but close enough, check Lucian's (120 AD) "True Story"
Lucian
True_history

it's a travel to the moon w/ cloud-centaurs and
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 11:59 AM   #47
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh oh oh oh... this is awesome. in that case i am looking for a reference and maybe you can help me?

years ago i read a jack vance book in translation. short stories, & i remember 2 quite vividly:

-transdimesional thought parasites that would take over a person's brain & create antagonism between the host species. they were invisible but the narrator was able to see them (i wonder if that's what possesses republicans?)
-some planet where there was no currency, but people traded on prestige through ritualistic social interaction-- they wear masks. the narrator is a foreigner who (i don't want to ruin this for the ones who haven't read it) has to learn how to survive here.

i wanted to read more but nothing else was available in that time & place-- could you help me find that book, or might you know the title of these short stories by any chance? ?? ??

Sorry haven't read that one. Of my whole list, Vance is the one who I need to read considerably more of. It sounds a bit like the Durdane series, which I've begun but only read the first book, but then he used some similar devices in many books.

We do have a What Was That Book? Thread over on our Message Board, so why don't you post about it there. I'm betting you'd get results, as Vance is a major favorite among the other Admins and Moderators.
Old 04.15.2007, 12:02 PM   #48
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sorry haven't read that one. Of my whole list, Vance is the one who I need to read considerably more of. It sounds a bit like the Durdane series, which I've begun but only read the first book, but then he used some similar devices in many books.

We do have a What Was That Book? Thread over on our Message Board, so why don't you post about it there. I'm betting you'd get results, as Vance is a major favorite among the other Admins and Moderators.

sweet, thanks. i'll get some breakfast & post my question.
Old 04.15.2007, 12:15 PM   #49
musicfallinglikesnow
stalker

musicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I love "Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem who inspired an impressionist Russian movie of the same title.
Ursula K. Le Guin is great, as well as J.G. Ballard.

musicfallinglikesnow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 11:28 PM   #50
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfallinglikesnow
I love "Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem who inspired an impressionist Russian movie of the same title.
Ursula K. Le Guin is great, as well as J.G. Ballard.

Yes Solaris is an amazing book. I don't think either the Soviet movie nor the recent Soderberg Hollywood version really do the book justice. We had a massive group read and discussion of it on the science fiction board I'm an Admin at.
Old 04.16.2007, 12:02 AM   #51
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yes Solaris is an amazing book. I don't think either the Soviet movie nor the recent Soderberg Hollywood version really do the book justice. We had a massive group read and discussion of it on the science fiction board I'm an Admin at.

really? i haven't read the book, but the tarkovsky movie is fucking extraordinary though. the beauty of that film is out of this world (no pun intended).

--
ps- forgot to post on your board. and now im getting ready to crash...
Old 04.16.2007, 12:49 AM   #52
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
really? i haven't read the book, but the tarkovsky movie is fucking extraordinary though. the beauty of that film is out of this world (no pun intended).

--
ps- forgot to post on your board. and now im getting ready to crash...

Well, the thing is with the 2 movies and the book, it seems to often be the version one experiences first that leads to the strongest impression. I read the book for the discussion I linked above, and then I watched both movies. Tarkovsky's was definitely stronger than Soderberg's but both of them featured directors really taking over the book and changing it to fit their own agenda. This is of course what directors do, but as much as I love the book, I'd like to see somebody try to really translate it to film rather than use it for an idea for their own story.
Old 11.07.2007, 02:53 PM   #53
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
latest rudy rucker novel is available for free at his site, and i know how you kids love to download anything free

http://www.rudyrucker.com/postsingular/
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 03:04 PM   #54
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
There's no bump , but anyway :
-Robert Merle : Malevil ( post-nuclear war , not science fiction )
-Asimov
-Poul Anderson
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 03:10 PM   #55
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
No love for Mr.Lovecraft?
I guess i'll have to wait till Hip Priest fiends this thread.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 03:34 PM   #56
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (If thats scifi, i dunno) in 5 days which is some kind of record for me, so id say give that a go.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 05:05 AM   #57
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Alfred Bester: The Demolished Man & The Stars My Destination
Harlan Ellison: too many to name
Kim Stanley Robinson: Red/Green/Blue Mars series, The Years of Rice and Salt
J. Michael Straczynski: Babylon 5 (actually a tv-series, but considering he created it and wrote 94 of the 110 episodes I think it can be counted)
Gene Wolfe: The Book of the New Sun series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wav...nce_fiction%29
Lamont Cranston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 05:44 AM   #58
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Coincedentally, I just started Brave New World last night. Bet be worth the pssing hype.

2001:A Space Oddessy is one I recommend. That and 2010 are in my top 10 books of all time. Brilliant books.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 08:04 AM   #59
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Coincedentally, I just started Brave New World last night. Bet be worth the pssing hype.

2001:A Space Oddessy is one I recommend. That and 2010 are in my top 10 books of all time. Brilliant books.

I didnt adore it, but then i dont read alot of Sci-Fi.
edit: It was good though

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 08:28 AM   #60
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure if its really even a SF book in the first place, but Richard Matheson's I Am Legend is an amazing book, which is soon to be turned into a surely less-than-amazing film starring Will Smith.

It was also turned into a film in the Sixties called The Last Man on Earth, starring Vincent Price, and as The Omega Man, which wasn't that bad at all, starring Charlton Heston.

Will Smith, ffs!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth