Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Favorite Venue
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2006, 10:55 AM   #21
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Man, I'm glad I have a small venue like The Orange Peel near me. It never seems to cramped, but when you first walk into the empty arena, it does feel like a shoebox. Maybe 'cuz they have a high ceiling. I don't know.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:01 AM   #22
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I love outdoor shows. So any park really.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:04 AM   #23
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
SJIND:

I agree w/ that sentiment. I love the Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta.
I saw NIN's Fragility v2.0 Tour there, w/ the opening act of A Perfect Circle.
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 11:10 AM   #24
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
London venues are the only venues I'm really familiar with. (Except the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Which I love. Particularly the upstairs.)

The Borderline is a nice (tiny) London venue. Probably my favourite small place. It's hidden away, down a little side-street, in a basement. (But not in a abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here kind of way.. like the Underworld in Camden. Which has a distinct "bowels of hell" feel to it.)

The Astoria is HORRIBLE (sound-wise, view-wise, everything-except-the-location-wise). The Brixton Academy is way better, (mid-size-venue-wise). I love the Scala, but I'm not quite sure why. The Forum I also like for no really good reason besides having seen some really great shows there. Same goes for the Hammersmith Apollo (also, next time you're there, look up at the ceiling above the balcony and tell me what you see....)

KOKO has yet to grow on me (pretty as it now is on the inside) but it's a definite improvement on (its former self) the Camden Palace. Kudos interior designer. That giant mirrorball? CLASSY. I hope it's well-anchored.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:15 AM   #25
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth

The Ripped Up Sound Tour:

The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC
Black Cat, Was., DC
40 Watt, Athens, GA
Camden Koko, London
The Spitz, London
The Royal Festival Hall, London
Ausland, Berlin
Paradiso, Amsterdam
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 11:20 AM   #26
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
the 40 watt is in athens, ga.

I like it over the orange peel because they don't have the same hipster attitude as the orange peel.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:24 AM   #27
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I know exactly what you mean nature scene. The Event Staff are always uptight . When I saw SY on the August 20th, 2004 show, I almost missed the show, because they didn't allow out of state ID. Which is the most redicioulus shit I've ever heard.

I'm updating the list right now.
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 11:26 AM   #28
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Clwb Ifor Bach in Cardiff. The downstairs bit anyway...
The Looking Glass in Leicester.
Music Cafe in Leicester.
The Point in Cardiff.
The Spitz in London seemed nice but I've only been there once.

Yeah Clwb Ifor Bach!!! Sonic Youth come to Cardiff!
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:48 AM   #29
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I'll add that venue to the list. & you know what, I'm seriously considering posting the final results in the "post questions for the band" thread.
I'll ask them to consider ALL the listed venues, & add them to their next convenient time. Except The Orange Peel, that's already on their schedule. In fact, I'll take it off the list now.

Sonic Youth

Aragon, Chicago, IL
Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland, OH
Black Cat, Was., DC
40 Watt, Athens, GA
Lakewood Amphitheater, Atlanta, GA
Camden Koko, London
The Spitz, London
Ausland, Berlin
Paradiso, Amsterdam
Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 11:52 AM   #30
jack smiley
empty page

jack smiley has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
hello. i'm new here.

i'd nominate the beachland ballroom in cleveland, ohio. great independent music-geek-run club that could easily sell out a 2-night stand of SY.
jack smiley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:58 AM   #31
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

The nominee is elected. Love Cleveland BTW. My whole family is from there.

I'm updating the list right now. (^^)

Oh I forgot, welcome to the forum.
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 12:14 PM   #32
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

AssBlaster, no offense, but you're considering the stupid things of a venue.
However, I will add 2 venues from your indoor & outdooor list.

(sorry to be rude)

Sonic Youth

The Greek Theater, CAL
Aragon, Chicago, IL
The Murate Theater, Indianapolis, IN
Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland, OH
9:30, Was., DC
40 Watt, Athens, GA
Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
Camden Koko, London
The Spitz, London
Ausland, Berlin
Paradiso, Amsterdam
Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 12:49 PM   #33
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Well SY wouldn't play at the Black Cat anymore because it's to small....they usually play at the 930.
Old 04.17.2006, 12:49 PM   #34
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

No, your opinions are not stupid. I just think they're are more important things to consider when rating a venue of any kind. That's all I was trying to say.

-EDIT-
Krastian: I'll update the list right now.
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 02:01 PM   #35
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I'll change my Lakewood suggestion to the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis.
I saw TooL there, & it was a great venue. Coliseum wise that is.
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 02:38 PM   #36
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
as far as nyc venues, i just hit joe's pub for the first time last week and loved it, though not for any real rock - more for intimate shows. if you could get past the two-drink minimum, great performance space.

the warsaw in brooklyn is a great venue for a rock/punk bands.

i like knitting factory because of the different rooms.

bowery ballroom>webster hall>irving plaza>roseland - note that i was very surprised how much i liked webster hall as a band venue.

outside nyc, i really liked vicar street in dublin, though it's been years since i've been there.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 02:43 PM   #37
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
Nanci Raygun's in Richmond Virginia!!
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 03:07 PM   #38
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

& remember, I will be posting these venues on the "post a quastion for the band" thread.
-George Carlin
Old 04.17.2006, 03:08 PM   #39
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
nanci rayguns is insane, its like really small in a really cool way, they have a kiler soundsystem aswell. i saw wolf eyes and prurient there and it was awesome!
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 03:26 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
shite

Marleypumpkin henceforth gets my utmost respect for being an American using the word 'shite'.

Hope & Anchor is death. All Carling Academy venues are death. My votes go for London Royal Festival Hall, London Red Rose club, London The Foundry, that church in Hackney (London) - someone here knows the one I'm on about? - that other one on the south bank in London the name of which escapes me (is also a gallery), Leeds Brudnell Social Club, Sheffield Leadmill, Glasgow Barrowlands and the umpteen local venues which don't really deserve mentioning unless anyone else here knows Bristol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth