Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.12.2011, 09:29 PM   #1
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
THE greatest band ever? Perhaps? Personally I go on binges, sometimes my prog listening takes me to VDGG, or perhaps even Spring and Caravan, most often Yes (the SECOND greatest band ever?), PMF, Le Orme & the stellar Italian scene, yet often I binge and purge on ELP to the point of near insanity...... S/T, TARKUS, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery - all exception. The live records, Pictures and Welcome, also as good! Got no problem with Works either....... a spinning piano? Greg Lake? Keith Emerson? Carl Palmer? Truly this is rock and roll....... if I was able to build a time machine and go back and follow them around like the Dead.......

Fucking Tarkus man. Perchance if I had twenty minutes to live I'd spend that time listening to that one epic track..... perchance I wouldn't as I'd spend my final moments with my wife and she loathes ELP...... you can't fault her for this though, many have yet to grasp just how epic this band is. I myself felt so overwhelmed upon hearing Brain Salad Surgery - flawless album, yet now I know they're capable of so much more.......

Old 07.12.2011, 10:17 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
can fuck off, quite frankly
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2011, 10:31 PM   #3
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
That's insanity...... look at this amazing picture of Emerson and Bob Moog.....

Or this one of Emerson warming up in an empty stadium.......

Or any of these other awesome pictures...... truly the greatest heroes of our time........

Old 07.12.2011, 10:32 PM   #4
The Watcher
children of satan

That's a fucking TIGER.....

Old 07.12.2011, 10:36 PM   #5
The Watcher
children of satan

Chillin' in Epping Forest.....

Old 07.13.2011, 12:47 AM   #6
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Watcher, I admire your spirit. I've just started dipping my toes in the prog/synth pool, will give ELP some time in the future. BTW, I never knew what your signature pic was, just downloaded "Inventions for Electric Guitar" a while ago, havn't listened to the whole thing yet, seems cool though...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
can fuck off, quite frankly
This.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 02:04 AM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
What do you expect from this bloke? He thinks punk embraces bands that are fucking not.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 08:20 AM   #9
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Watcher, I admire your spirit. I've just started dipping my toes in the prog/synth pool, will give ELP some time in the future. BTW, I never knew what your signature pic was, just downloaded "Inventions for Electric Guitar" a while ago, havn't listened to the whole thing yet, seems cool though...

Excellent news!! Truth be told, it took me longer to recognize the greatness of ELP than any other prog band - I took to bands like Trettargia Kriget, Le Orme, Van Der Graaf Generator like a fish to water...... but ELP was a different story, and then all of a sudden it hit me - everyone who bitches about their excess is wrong. Bands need to wear capes and kimonos, and have floating pianos and have drums that are so heavy they need to be assembled by a crane, etc. That's what rock and roll should be about, not some smelly show in a mouse ridden basement with some shitty freegans serving moldy potatoes........ Honestly do yourself a favour and listen to Tarkus - just the song, the rest of the album is a little harder to enjoy for not-yet-converts. you'll be happy you did!!!
Old 07.13.2011, 08:24 AM   #10
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
What do you expect from this bloke? He thinks punk embraces bands that are fucking not.

Are you still on about that Napalm Death discussion that happened months ago? Bro, your scope of punk is incredibly narrow...... punk is supposed to be about non-conformity. Punk isn't even good most of the time anyway - it's Pennywise and fucking Avril Lavigne and Crass, all of which blow - I was actually doing Napalm Death a disservice....... see that's why prog rock is better - is embraces things like stabbing a hammond organ with a knife, or covering Pictures At An Exhibition.......
Old 07.13.2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Ahh, nice to see a thread about em!

I've digged em since I was like 12-13.
Carl Palmer has inspired me and my drumming a lot aswell.

Tarkus has to be the most beautiful albumcover ever made?

Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 01:57 PM   #12
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
punk is supposed to be about non-conformity. Punk isn't even good most of the time anyway - it's Pennywise and fucking Avril Lavigne and Crass, all of which blow -..

Crass? You llump Crass with Avril and Pennywise?

Punk is a nostalgia trip. Punk rapidly became a conformity trip all its own. That said, these women fucking kill it

http://evgrieve.com/2011/07/more-fro...-today-in.html
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 02:01 PM   #13
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Certainly they were a loud outfit live for just three pieces. Also a talented trio. Yes was probably more popular back in the day but for my money I thought ELP was the better band.
Old 07.13.2011, 02:04 PM   #14
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Tarkus has to be the most beautiful albumcover ever made?

I completely agree!!! I'm thinking of buying one of those record frames for gatefold LPs and framing my copy along with Nursry Crime!! I think when I buy a house I'm going to have a room devoted to the seventies, shag carpeting, one of those chairs that looks like a hollowed out egg, and a hi-fi....... Nothing else!!!
Old 07.13.2011, 03:22 PM   #15
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds like an awesome idea.

btw, more tarkus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZquiACzPLY
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Are you still on about that Napalm Death discussion that happened months ago? Bro, your scope of punk is incredibly narrow...... punk is supposed to be about non-conformity. Punk isn't even good most of the time anyway - it's Pennywise and fucking Avril Lavigne and Crass, all of which blow - I was actually doing Napalm Death a disservice....... see that's why prog rock is better - is embraces things like stabbing a hammond organ with a knife, or covering Pictures At An Exhibition.......
first off, i'd really appreciate if you don't call me ''bro'' because I'm not your brother. second, how's avril lavigne not fucking punk?
Old 07.13.2011, 04:19 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
Certainly they were a loud outfit live
you go to see dresses playing live?
Old 07.13.2011, 04:29 PM   #18
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
first off, i'd really appreciate if you don't call me ''bro'' because I'm not your brother. second, how's avril lavigne not fucking punk?

How IS she punk?
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 04:30 PM   #19
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Link Wray was punk, fuck everything else.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2011, 04:37 PM   #20
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
sexist
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth