Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Brit Awards 2007 nominations
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.17.2007, 05:11 PM   #41
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Razorlight were from Sweden (or one of those other north European countries)

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2007, 05:37 PM   #42
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure but i think one of them is swedish.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2007, 05:54 PM   #43
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The Brits: it's the ugly end of the British record industry, and always has been. I don't mind most of the international nominations, but WHERE THE FUCK ARE GIRLS ALOUD??? For Fuck's sake, it's fucking ridiculous. I LIKE Lily Allen a great deal, her album's (patchily) brilliant. No Lady Sov? No Sugababes? No Take That for lifetime achivement? Or Erasure, for that matter? I shall repeat the main and most glaring omission: WHERE THE FUCK ARE GIRLS ALOUD??? The BEST proper shiny gay pop band we've had since S Club (and a great deal more consistent to boot), in fact, the best proper shiny gay pop group I've witnessed in my lifetime, NOTHING but utterly brilliant singles (making the incredibly good Sugababes look a bit shit by comparison) and not a single nomination? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE DOING THE NOMINATIONS? WHY AREN'T THEY DEAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2007, 05:56 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
But seriously, are they from some obscure island in the Pacific which just happens to produce the same accent and skintone as Scallies? Did I miss some part of them that precludes them from inclusion? For fuck's sake.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.17.2007, 05:58 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

It's the Brits. It's about pop. WE, THE BRITISH, HAVE DONE SOME WORTHWHILE POP THIS YEAR. Where the fuck is this reflected? For fuck's sake. I'm very much a not impressed person.

Quote:
Old 01.17.2007, 06:19 PM   #46
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
What i mean by 'real' music is music that is written and performed by Artists not created like some assembly line Barbie doll (although there will always be an element of that). A few years ago the nominations were things like Westlife, Will Young, Atomic Kitten etc, etc. I'm not saying that bands like Razorlight, The Kooks, Arctic Monkeys are any special or remotely progressive at all. I've just noticed a significant change over the past 2 years from singing groups and pop princesses to singer/songwriters and bands dominating the airwaves, the charts and awards.
i reckon that's not got anything to do with the intelligence of the single buying masses being any higher this year than previous years, but more to do with guitars being "in fashion" at the moment.
pop music is something a lot of people will wear proudly on their sleeve no matter what it happens to sound like, or what, (if any) creative energys have been used to make it. it's often merely a fashion statement, a will to fit in, or just plain LCD ignorance.
working in a record shop last summer opened up some valuable insight into the world of pop chart music and the people who buy it.
for example, on a number of occasions, a man walks in to the shop, and asks me what is no.1 in the album chart.
i look it up and tell him the album, and without even asking to hear it, or asking about the artist, he says he will take it there and then.
it was frustrating and depressing.
pop music can be an art form if done well, but many people see it only from a blinkered, superficial point of view.
Old 01.17.2007, 06:26 PM   #47
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
pop music can be an art form if done well, but many people see it only from a blinkered, superficial point of view.

I agree with your point entirely, but you didn't offer the disclaimer that this is true of EVERY genre, without exception.

Edit: The above assumes that by 'pop' you mean the sort of bands who do choreography and morning TV shows for promotion, rather than NME/ Wire and MTV2 (or whatever) for promotion.

Quote:
Old 01.18.2007, 03:39 AM   #48
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
The Brits: it's the ugly end of the British record industry, and always has been. I don't mind most of the international nominations, but WHERE THE FUCK ARE GIRLS ALOUD??? For Fuck's sake, it's fucking ridiculous. I LIKE Lily Allen a great deal, her album's (patchily) brilliant. No Lady Sov? No Sugababes? No Take That for lifetime achivement? Or Erasure, for that matter? I shall repeat the main and most glaring omission: WHERE THE FUCK ARE GIRLS ALOUD??? The BEST proper shiny gay pop band we've had since S Club (and a great deal more consistent to boot), in fact, the best proper shiny gay pop group I've witnessed in my lifetime, NOTHING but utterly brilliant singles (making the incredibly good Sugababes look a bit shit by comparison) and not a single nomination? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE DOING THE NOMINATIONS? WHY AREN'T THEY DEAD?
Glice is right. At the very least Girls Aloud should have been nominated for best single for "Something Kinda Ooh". The only trouble is that that and the (dreadful) Tiffany cover is all that they did in 2006.

The absence of Sugababes' "Red Dress" is also criminal.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 07:22 AM   #49
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
i reckon that's not got anything to do with the intelligence of the single buying masses being any higher this year than previous years, but more to do with guitars being "in fashion" at the moment.
pop music is something a lot of people will wear proudly on their sleeve no matter what it happens to sound like, or what, (if any) creative energys have been used to make it. it's often merely a fashion statement, a will to fit in, or just plain LCD ignorance.
working in a record shop last summer opened up some valuable insight into the world of pop chart music and the people who buy it.
for example, on a number of occasions, a man walks in to the shop, and asks me what is no.1 in the album chart.
i look it up and tell him the album, and without even asking to hear it, or asking about the artist, he says he will take it there and then.
it was frustrating and depressing.

Oh yeah i think your right! But i'm happy guitars are back in vogue and I think the music scene is a lot healthier now than say the late 90's early 00's (dire period of music). There is nothing wrong with Pop music really, it takes a very boring bastard to not enjoy a good singalong with their friends (which lets face it, is not really the point of a band like Sonic Youth). Sugar We're Going Down is a lot of fun after a few beers, blasting out the speakers at a rock club

Did they really just buy what was no1? Fucking Hell
Old 01.18.2007, 03:54 PM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Glice is right. At the very least Girls Aloud should have been nominated for best single for "Something Kinda Ooh". The only trouble is that that and the (dreadful) Tiffany cover is all that they did in 2006.

The absence of Sugababes' "Red Dress" is also criminal.

I was under the impression that Biology was last year, but it wasn't. Quite why I thought that I have no idea. Still, something kinda Oooh was awesome. Apparently, the other single last year was whole lotta history, which was good, but a slowy, and they're much better at uptemper numbers. Agreed on the Sugababes front.

Quote:
Old 01.18.2007, 04:38 PM   #51
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
i must ask, is this the kind of music the chavs listen too?
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 04:56 PM   #52
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, slim picken's for good artists. At least FLips, Dylan, Beck, Racounteurs, Thom Yorke and Cat Power were recognized. Wolfmother is ok. Though I feel they are getting more recognition than they deserve. Fuck Gnarls Barkley and Arctic Monkeys. Those bands are awful. I saw Arctic Monkeys on Saturday Night Live some months back and they were boring as hell. How do these awful musicians keep getting record deals?

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth