Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do You Believe In Leaking?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think it's right to dowload Rather Ripped?
Fuck the little shits that leaked it 12 10.81%
No...Just no 21 18.92%
I don't care 22 19.82%
It's good that it's available to the people who want it 42 37.84%
Fuck yea! 14 12.61%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.12.2006, 04:00 PM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i frankly don't think downloading is going to hurt sales among SY fans. among the general public and the ipod crowd, sure. but i think most of us are going to buy it eventually. the thing just becomes a sort of appetizer, a teaser, whatever. no downloaded file can provide the sonic satisfaction of sweet vinyl. however, i haven't downloaded the record this time, nor do i care to try. i'm pretty sure i'll have to listen to it in one form or another before i buy it, that's for sure-- i'm not putting my money where my ears haven't gone before.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:20 PM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i frankly don't think downloading is going to hurt sales among SY fans...

i said it on the other thread. internet urban legends, especially the music ones, are the most hilarious!!!

"oh man!! i'm getting dropped because everybody downloaded my album!!!"
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:26 PM   #23
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
i use to download some albums i want to get, but i'm not so sure ( i mean when i want to spend the money buying other album)...
then, if i like it i bought it
Pablitzen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:38 PM   #24
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I succumbed to temptation....I feel a bit 'wrong' inside.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:42 PM   #25
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i am a hypocrite.

it was totally unqueued.. yeah.

i feel kind of guilty.
Old 04.12.2006, 04:49 PM   #26
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
This same issue just came up on the mates of state website, and Kori said she loved album leaks. I think that SY would probably think similarly.

The label on the other hand....
no. it bums them out. it doesn't sound as it should on a shitty rip and it sucks that that's what people are hearing and basing opinions on when the album won't be out for another 2 months.

very lame.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:52 PM   #27
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
One of the many reasons I love Sonic Youth so much is the fact that they are so generous, putting vids, mp3's and mixtapes on the site and being happy for fans to trade bootlegs. So I would always reciprocate that spirit by respecting their right to choose release dates etc.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 04:54 PM   #28
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
nicely put, Hip Priest

for chrissakes can't (some of) you people download follow.blind's video (from Lethrneck4's torrent) or one of the bootlegs that fans like me share & just chill the fuck out about the leaked album?

I don't know what mickey mouse p2p "kiwi" is & I don't care. Keep this shit off this board, please. Go take a shit on some other band's board.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 05:08 PM   #29
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking about getting it but I decided not to out of respect for Sonic Youth. It's also really fucking stupid and disrespectful to talk about it and share it on the band's own site.

On some other thread someone said SY's best-selling album was Dirty and that it only sold 300,000 copies. It isn't like SY sells a lot of records anyways and leaking the album only hurts them more.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 05:21 PM   #30
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck it, I'm gonna go buy Goo Deluxe to take the anticipation away.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 05:42 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
...On some other thread someone said SY's best-selling album was Dirty and that it only sold 300,000 copies. It isn't like SY sells a lot of records anyways and leaking the album only hurts them more.

internet urban legends i tell you
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 05:57 PM   #32
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Leaking where? On my neighbor's bushes? Then yes.
Old 04.12.2006, 05:58 PM   #33
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
"when big business is destroying youth culture, what are the youth to do? well I think that we should destroy the bogus capitalist process, dont you agree?" thurston moore

dont let record companies and radiohead fool you! subvert! Stay out of Order! Downloading leaked/pirated music is like getting a tape from yr friend. this is how music has traditionally been distributed. the internet just is scaring the capitalist record companies because it has expanded the tape trading empire. bands dont make money from records. band make money from tours. records only make money for really independent bands, and fuck, they tend to give out shit on the internet anyways!

fuck the shitstem! subvert! music is art, not a marketable commodity.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:02 PM   #34
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
"when big business is destroying youth culture, what are the youth to do? well I think that we should destroy the bogus capitalist process, dont you agree?" thurston moore

that has nothing to do with the fact that these leaked mp3's generally sound like absolute shit and make bands feel like the 6 months they spent in a studio making something might as well have never happened since what people are listening to might as well have been recorded into one of those greeting cards that you can sing happy birthday into.

yr logic is fucked.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:12 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Here comes the original businessman
He smiles at you as he shakes your hand
"Listen to me" - he's got a lot to say
But you don't understand
No, you don't understand
So you say "OK"

They'll do it once, they'll do it again
The world is run by businessmen

He takes your money, you take his word
He tells you things you've never heard
He says "Sign here on the dotted line"
But you don't understand, no you don't understand
But you think it's alright

He disappears for a month or two
He ripped you off and you dunno what to do
You'd take him to court but you don't know his name
Cos businessmen, yes businessmen are all the same

Old 04.12.2006, 06:13 PM   #36
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I think it is okay for the people who want them I suppose...it might defeat the purpose what the band is doing (for those fans)...but there are always the fans that will be there to enjoy what the band is doing.
Old 04.12.2006, 06:20 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

chabib, the sound quality is why I have never downloaded a leaked record. the only one I have is deftones white pony, and the sound on that one is actually BETTER. I captured the stream from the woods the week before it came out, but that was from THEIR website. the sound was good and that is why I kept it. but the issue is not just leaking, but internet piracy in general. the quote was directed at internet piracy, which seems to be the tape trading of the 21st century. my logic isn't fucked. i was just pointing out to the people that internet piracy hurts record companies more then bands themselves.

Old 04.12.2006, 08:18 PM   #39
dark heat
empty page

dark heat ain't too shabby
Sure, I'd love to be able to wait for the proper release to hear this album, but I don't really have the self control. If it's available, I'm going to download it. I'll buy it the first day it comes out too, but for now, I'm perfectly happy listening to the leaked version.
dark heat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 09:34 PM   #40
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
Who cares if someone is listening to the album before it comes it? I personally would rather wait for the actual CD, but it makes no difference to me if someone wants to listen to it early. If someone is into a band that much that they can't wait another 2 months to hear their new album, they are probably going to buy the real CD anyway. And even if they don't, music is music.
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth