Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page "Art" or abuse?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.23.2007, 04:30 AM   #41
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Changing the dogs environment by placing it in a gallery under the same conditions doesn't automatically make it art.
It's more like a campaign for cruelty against animals.
This guy should work for a local animal protection unit if he cares so much.
He's using the shock method to try and make people more aware of the issues at hand.
I don't think it works though.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 04:39 AM   #42
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
He cut the dogs food source off completely by chaining it in the gallery when atleast when it roamed it had the chance of food.

This guy can't care about animals if he does this. He's using the finger pointing tactic to avoid responsibility.
Old 10.23.2007, 04:48 AM   #43
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
He cut the dogs food source off completely by chaining it in the gallery when atleast when it roamed it had the chance of food.

This guy can't care about animals if he does this. He's using the finger pointing tactic to avoid responsibility.

- it never "roamed," it was chained up when it was found

- when found the dog was extremely ill to the point that it did not want to eat

- it died within a day... a normal healthy dog does not die in a day from lack of food.

this dog was basically half dead when they found it.... so, yes they should have taken it to a vet.... maybe it would have lasted two days. but some of these facts change things a bit, no?

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 04:51 AM   #44
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
- it never "roamed," it was chained up when it was found

- when found the dog was extremely ill to the point that it did not want to eat

- it died within a day... a normal healthy dog does not die in a day from lack of food.

this dog was basically half dead when they found it.... so, yes they should have taken it to a vet.... maybe it would have lasted two days. but some of these facts change things a bit, no?

So it was already someone elses "art", and this guy claimed it for himself.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 04:51 AM   #45
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Except the death of a dog on the street is not going to bring some artist attention around the world and the profit that goes with it. The thing that disgusts me more than the dog starving to death (despite his accusations of hypocrisy, I'm not a Honduran and I am angered in the same way when I see a dog starve in the streets) is that the death of this particular dog was advantageous to the artist.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 05:13 AM   #46
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
"Guillermo Habacuc Vargas, put a starved dog as a work of art, the poor dog died there, he did not want anyone give him food or water."

That's what bugs me the most. Nobody would stop you from giving a stray dog on the street some food or water if you felt "moved" to do so.
I'm not saying this dog (obviously pretty sick and almost already dead) would have survived much much longer, but giving no chances at all is a deprivation that's pretty cruel.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 05:30 AM   #47
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really understand why the people who were looking at the "exhibit" allowed it to remain as it was. They are just as guilty as the "artist".
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 05:58 AM   #48
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I don't really understand why the people who were looking at the "exhibit" allowed it to remain as it was. They are just as guilty as the "artist".

Well said

There is no excuse for this kind of cruelty, if the dog was on the street and ill, take it to a vet or call the equivalent animal cruelty people in that country

Dont put it in a gallery and pretend there is some higher ideal to the act like "art"

This guy saw an opportunity for sensationalist media attention and cynically took it

If his art stood on his own merits he wouldn't need to pull stunts like this
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 08:16 AM   #49
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
fuck no this is not art.

but abuse has merit where it shows up the hypocrisy of western civilisation.

next: get a starving african child in there, then we'll talk some more!
farmhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 08:57 AM   #50
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
If an african child dying of AIDS, in his last days, was put in a hospital bed and placed in a gallery, would that be art?
Old 10.23.2007, 11:31 AM   #51
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I really don't know about this.
It isn't creative
it isn't expression
I wouldn't be able to say it's art. Just neglect with a label.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 03:16 PM   #52
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
thats horrible. i have will tell people at art school tomorrow about this. they will probably be appalled.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2007, 05:35 PM   #53
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I agree.

I don't know how this was allowed.
Old 10.23.2007, 06:03 PM   #54
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
If an african child dying of AIDS, in his last days, was put in a hospital bed and placed in a gallery, would that be art?

...see, i don't know if i'm just being overly simplistic or semantic about this. it just seems like asking, "if i filmed an african child dying of AIDS, in his last days, would I have a film?"

and it's not just about the location, the fact that it physically takes place in a gallery. the art world is full of legitimizing institutions like galleries, museums, critics, patrons, grants, etc. kind of like when something is done by a professor at a university... it implies institutional support, even if it wasn't there explicitly.

that's why i think these are much more productive points to make:

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
im surprised the gallery didnt step in and actually allowed this to happen

Quote:

art is a social structure: if there was no gallery willing to exhibit this and no potential patrons eager to hang out on opening night, this would not have happened. i'm not trying to say the artist wasn't responsible, he absolutely was; it was his 'concept.'

but it was legitimized as art before it happened; denying that is useless and distracts from more important questions.

Old 10.23.2007, 07:47 PM   #55
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
So, what you're saying is that Art is a social construct, and by that definition, the act of starving the dog to death, even though carried out by the artist, has further ramifications than that? You're implying that the gallery and the patrons are just as responsible for the death of the dog as the artist is... Which is to say that they have become part of the artwork, an interactive social experiment on a large scale... They have become the statement that the artist wishes to make, that human beings are fine with suffering, as long as it's not theirs, and that most art poseurs are nothing more than elegant voyeurs, no better than the upskirt perverts that populate the cybermedia...
Old 10.23.2007, 08:07 PM   #56
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
So, what you're saying is that Art is a social construct, and by that definition, the act of starving the dog to death, even though carried out by the artist, has further ramifications than that? You're implying that the gallery and the patrons are just as responsible for the death of the dog as the artist is... Which is to say that they have become part of the artwork, an interactive social experiment on a large scale... They have become the statement that the artist wishes to make, that human beings are fine with suffering, as long as it's not theirs, and that most art poseurs are nothing more than elegant voyeurs, no better than the upskirt perverts that populate the cybermedia...

i'm not sure who is better between the two... but yes the elegant voyeurs are like the upskirt perverts in many ways...

Old 10.23.2007, 08:08 PM   #57
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
So you're saying that even though it's horrible and brings unnessecary sadness, it's still a well executed [dog star man] and successful piece of art?
Old 10.23.2007, 09:17 PM   #58
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
i read the article and i kinda see where the guy was coming from and his interpretation of his "art". that being said, and i'll be honest, i really can't stand animals. i fucking hate most of them, dogs especially, but that is kinda fucked up. but why didn't anyone who was @ the show say something or feed the fucking thing, if they were so worried about it?

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2007, 01:12 AM   #59
Norma J
invito al cielo

You don't like animals? Wow. Are you emotionally deprived?
Old 10.24.2007, 02:38 AM   #60
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
lol, nah they just get on my nerves. their dirty, they tear shit up, piss & shit every where, cost alot of money and they make alot of godamn noise. although i do like horses & some cats. i've just never liked animals and haven't ever really had any emotional attachment to one. my roomate use to have 6 cats & 6 dogs... when i moved in and helped her clean her house i told her she had to get rid of the lil bastards cause i couldn't stand living in a house that smelled like kitty shit & piss. she was all "i'm sad, i don't wanna get rid of them". so of course i had to take them to the SPCA to have them euthanized, which i had no problem w/. so now all my friends when they have to get rid of animals they call me to "take care of the situation". i get alot of shit for disliking animals... but at the same time it's not like i'm out joy killing the damn things either.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth