Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Curtis Mayfield Appreciation...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.08.2008, 07:24 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
the impressions, supafly soundtrack, killer lyrics, and that goddamned voice, i dont care how avant garde your taste in music is, anyone who can even fathom denying the beauty and brilliance of this man's music is just a fuckin fool. mayfield's importance can not be denied, when starting out with the impressions, he became one of the first african american musicians/composers to inject social statements into his music, this "message music" became hugely influential during the tumultuous 60's and 70's, and people like mayfield and james brown became heroes to thousands. but enough of that, this guys music just fuckin swings. the supafly sountrack is without a doubt one fo the greatest records in the history of music, period. the music therein is simultaneously highly sexual, psychedelic, socially aware, and passionate as fuck. so, lets appreciate this brilliant musician, curtis mayfield, rest in peace.

personal favorites: supafly, get down in the funky groove

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Great stuff indeed. I've been meaning to look up some of his stuff.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 07:45 PM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
everyneurotic, ive been meaning to ask you, are you monosidic or what, i remember once sayin i was into them and then you were like yeah theyre good but theyre awful fucking people, but if its you making that shit than kudos.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.08.2008, 07:53 PM   #6
batreleaser
invito al cielo

k, thanks for fucking wit me

listen to pink reason
Old 03.08.2008, 07:54 PM   #7
batreleaser
invito al cielo

you should come play a show here in tucson, its only 35 mins away from the border, please

listen to pink reason
Old 03.08.2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
sorry to pull your chain like that, i'm not that into the self-publicity deal.

to date, monosodic hasn't played live just yet; i wanted to play a show in two weeks but it seems things won't turn out the way i planned it gearwise, so it's probably not going to happen for a while.

i seriously been dying to tour since i was like 11 years old, hopefully i'll start soon.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 08:03 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
sorry to pull your chain like that, i'm not that into the self-publicity deal.

to date, monosodic hasn't played live just yet; i wanted to play a show in two weeks but it seems things won't turn out the way i planned it gearwise, so it's probably not going to happen for a while.

i seriously been dying to tour since i was like 11 years old, hopefully i'll start soon.

yeah same, i played parties last year with this band i was in but we sucked and did too many drugs and we all ended up hating eachother, im playing in a band now but unforunatly im doing this college thing to get a degree at university of arizona and my brother and other bandmate are in boston, so were on hiatus for the moment. it sucks, sometimes i feel im just doing this college thing to avoid gettin cut out of my pretty lucrative will from my grandparents. as spoiled as that sounds its kinda true, only thin i like about college is writing, philosophy classes, pretty (very pretty) girls, and parties, besides that it just seems like one long nevernding tedious assignment. if i had it my way id just be driving around the country right now making noise, or not, but something. but i figure when i graduate ill still be 22, 23 at the latest, and thats still years and years of being able to get this music thing together. i envy bands like mika miko though, their like what, 18 or 19, and theyre already one of the raddest bands around. lydia lunch was 18 when teenage jesus started. pisses me off sometimes.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.08.2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
sometimes i get like that but then i remember i've been in bands (well...band) since i was fourteen and it was very awesome, it doesn't matter, just look at all those people like branca and chatham or even hijokaidan and the incapacitants still doing crazy shit at their age with no sign of stopping.

yeah, college was a bit like that for me...

well i have to wash up for i'm going out in like an hour to drink and stuff, see you later.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Yes Curtis was great (at least at the beginning of his career).

I prefer the S/T to Superfly though.

It's said that he was a big influence on Jimi Hendrix.

EDIT: I meant Curtis not S/T.
Old 03.09.2008, 06:32 AM   #12
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I check out Roots as the Allmusicguide review looks promising: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:k9foxqq5ldae
Old 03.09.2008, 10:42 AM   #13
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
ive been meaning tto get the superfly OST for a while, this thread inspired me to DL it. so amazing. and it was such an awesome movie

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Curtis was so SO influential to many genres. Rap would be completely different without him; RZA and Kanye would sound nothing like what they do without Curtis Mayfield
Old 04.17.2010, 07:44 AM   #15
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Curtis Mayfield - ABC-TV In Concert - Hempstead, NY, USA - 1972 - 09-21 - FM by tamlyn
Old 04.18.2010, 01:33 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
curtis mayfield fucking rules all.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth