Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Songs You're Ashamed To Like
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.15.2006, 03:30 AM   #61
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain
Livin' La Vida Loca

Ricky Martin
Ashamed?That's an ace tune and Ricky knows how to put on a show like no other.One of the best gigs i've ever been to.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2006, 03:33 AM   #62
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
She went to ATP.
Nope she hasn't.I don't really get why she lied about it either.

Old 12.15.2006, 04:04 AM   #63
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
It does raise interesting questions. I used to pretty careful in selecting what music I listened to, but now I don't really bother. It's a waste of time deliberating over it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2006, 05:04 AM   #64
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
foreigner: i wanna know what love is
sean paul: dutty rock

of course, in a way all music is a guilty pleasure when millions of people round the world don't even have access to clean fresh water.

oh yeah, and the cult: electric
i aint missing you at all: john fahey
waiting for a star to fall: no idea who did it.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2006, 05:08 AM   #65
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Well,the 'being ashamed to like' syndrome is such a childish and indie state of mind that it did more damage to entire genres of music than any good.Keeping an open ear to anything that is enjoyable(in the broader meaning of the word) aurally is the secret to have an healthy and ever stimulating relationship with music.

Old 12.15.2006, 08:30 AM   #66
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The above is correct. I would like to add that there is a lot of music that I know full well is utter cack in many ways, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it a great deal. I have, and enjoy, Cradle of Filth albums up until Nymphetamine. I know full well it's arse, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. I'm not embarassed, but I certainly don't attempt to push them on people.

You're not a real music fan until you've learnt to enjoy Happy Hardcore: Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2006, 08:39 AM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You're wrong. Happy Hardcore is exceptionally silly, and you run the risk of being a po-faced hardcore fan who only listens to 'real' music with 'real' instruments if you don't admit at least one or two utterly absurd records into your regular playlist.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.15.2006, 08:45 AM   #68
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Yes,there are a lot of records i enjoy listening that the 'Mr Good Taste' du jour would find to be repellent but then there are tons of others that would file me under the 'Good Taste' category.It's hardly the point as i enjoy listening to what i listen to and i'm avid when it comes to dive into the multi-faced scope of emotions(or sometimes the lack of them if we think about specific types of records) that the multitude of musics out there have to offer.As for Happy Hardcore,it is definately(and i think you kinda mentioned this on some other thread) a type of music that suddenly makes perfect sense in the right envoirement.If you're quick to capitalize on that(either because your lifestyle pushes you towards that direction or simply because your ears have been ripped open to anything that might find its way into them) you wont have no problem welcoming it into your record collection.

Old 12.15.2006, 08:48 AM   #69
Glice
invito al cielo

Have you ever had that thing, Mr Marras, where people come round to your house, scrutinise your record collection, pick out the 'cool' things, say they're 'cool', and then try and take the piss out of something much better? There was a chap recently, picked out the elders of my record collection (Blur, Radiohead, Pulp, general Britpop) and tried to take the piss for having S Club, Mis-Teeq and So Solid. I was most annoyed.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2006, 08:54 AM   #70
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I've had some comments being made about my records before but nothing serious or something that caused me excruciating pain.I'm more likely to secretly observe someone's record collection without making a personal comment about it because i'm intrigued by it psychologically.In saying that,i don't judge people becuse of the music that they listen to and i expect the same sort of treatment.

Old 12.15.2006, 08:55 AM   #71
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Have you ever had that thing, Mr Marras, where people come round to your house, scrutinise your record collection, pick out the 'cool' things, say they're 'cool', and then try and take the piss out of something much better? There was a chap recently, picked out the elders of my record collection (Blur, Radiohead, Pulp, general Britpop) and tried to take the piss for having S Club, Mis-Teeq and So Solid. I was most annoyed.

Well... he took the piss out of those because they are total fucking trash, no two ways about it. Give me a break.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2006, 08:56 AM   #72
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I Have no Shame!

I own records by My Chemical Romance, System of a Down, Bee Gees, Micheal Jackson etc.

I'll often play a My Chem album and then right after play a Steve Reich piece, it confuses the hell out of people.
Old 12.15.2006, 08:58 AM   #73
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
that...was just awesome!

Thanks, I suppose.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 12.15.2006, 09:00 AM   #74
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Well... he took the piss out of those because they are total fucking trash, no two ways about it. Give me a break.
Not just two but a series of ways,Mr Poll naysayer.

Old 12.15.2006, 09:05 AM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
I've had some comments being made about my records before but nothing serious or something that caused me excruciating pain.I'm more likely to secretly observe someone's record collection without making a personal comment about it because i'm intrigued by it psychologically.In saying that,i don't judge people becuse of the music that they listen to and i expect the same sort of treatment.

Agreed. I have innumerable friends who have little else but Oasis type things, and I enjoy their company a great deal more than people with 'cool' taste.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2006, 09:09 AM   #76
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
what are "cool tastes" anyways. that makes absolutely no fucking sense.
Ask K-krack,he seems to know a lot on the matter.I personally couldn't give a flying fig but then..........

Old 12.15.2006, 09:10 AM   #77
Glice
invito al cielo

It is a non-sequiter, you're right there. It is an observable phenomenon though, namely those who prefer white boys with guitars while excluding the rest of music in its entireity (forgivable under a certain age).

Quote:
Old 12.15.2006, 09:16 AM   #78
porkmarras
invito al cielo

In that case i generally put in that uncool category those who remain purposelly deaf to stuff for one personal reason or the other.I'd rather be transported to wherever my ears take me rather than 'fit in' with whatever 'i'm supposed to like'.I do understand that someone just can't take certain stuff,no problem with that whatsoever.But to point the finger?Only the plebs do that sort of thing!

Old 12.15.2006, 09:16 AM   #79
Glice
invito al cielo

I've not been referring to you at any point. I have replied to your disparaging remarks about Happy Hardcore. That is all. The remainder was in response to a (now-ongoing) trope of conversation I have with Porky.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2006, 09:21 AM   #80
k-krack
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Ask K-krack,he seems to know a lot on the matter.I personally couldn't give a flying fig but then..........

Oh screw off, you old hag. My musical tastes are not based on coolness, but on quality. S-Club, Ricky Martin, and all that other filth do not qualify for anything above "complete shit."

Danny is a C.H.U.D.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth