Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What's on yer album wish list?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.10.2006, 11:42 AM   #1
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
What are your top 5 or 10 or whatever albums you want to buy?

Mine. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Melvins - Houdini & Eggnog

Dub Trio - New Heavy

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Beastie Boys - License to Ill

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow

Beat Happening - first (s/t)

Cows - Cunning Stunts

Dwarves - Blood Guts & Pussy

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Wolf Eyes - Dread

Sun Ra - Space is the Place

The first two Stooges

Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription

Nico - Chelsea Girl
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Another one of those lists almost impossible to narrow down to such a small number. I started keeping a wish list about 25 years ago and there are records that were on that list I still haven't got around to buying.

A small selection of my current wish list:

The Lappetites - Before The Libretto
Tetuzi Akiyama - Route 13 To The Gates of Hell
Akron/Family - Akron/Family
John Coltrane - One Down, One Up
Derek Bailey - Carpal Tunnel
Boris with Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave
Moondog - Moondog...

etc.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 11:59 AM   #3
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Another one of those lists almost impossible to narrow down to such a small number. I started keeping a wish list about 25 years ago and there are records that were on that list I still haven't got around to buying.

Moondog - Moondog...

etc.

Same here. I keep trying to "manage" it by coming up with the 10 or 20 I want "the most." Shit, I want them all the most. I want everything.

That Coltrane's a good one. I burned a CD-R from the library's copy. I almost always end up buying "real" copies to replace by CD-R burns, unless it's just rare stuff that's impossible to find or buy.
Old 07.10.2006, 12:01 PM   #4
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie

Moondog - Moondog...

etc.
Akron/Family is such a fantastic band, you can't go wrong with that one.

All i really want right now:

Return to Cookie Mountain - TV On The Radio
Nightlife - Erase Errata
Aa - Aa

all on vinyl.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
New Current 93 and Nurse With Wound albums.

I saw Akron/Family once and I think they are good singers and players, but I really hated their style.

Tetuzi Akiyama is a fucking genius.

Pookie, if you can get it (if you don't already have it), the Moondog 2xLP set "The Viking Of Sixth Avenue" on Honest John is amazing. Best Moondog stuff I have heard! Beautiful package too. His first couple of 10 inches have been reissued in their exact original form by them too.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 12:13 PM   #6
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I saw Akron/Family once and I think they are good singers and players, but I really hated their style.

The first time i listened to the album, i wasn't so hot about it. But on the second or third listen i really loved it. I guess you could call them a "hippy" rock or whatever people or classifying them as but i really enjoy that album. Their split with Angels of Light is a lot more upbeat and more of like a "good times" listen.

Old 07.10.2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I actually liked the album OK when I heard it, but when I went to see them, they were really irritating to me for some reason. Perhaps it was the bassist's constant and ridiculous gesticulations, perhaps it was the fact that when they ran out of lyrics they kept singing "aaaaahhh aahhh ahh" and wouldn't STOP SINGING for just a little bit, perhaps it was the annoying "c'mon everybody, let's all get together for a big human be-in" vibe...
I don't know, really. They are very good musicians and I know other people who thought they were so good that they went and saw them in other towns on the same tour.
Purely a taste issue. I cannot fault them as musicians or singers.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 12:20 PM   #8
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I actually liked the album OK when I heard it, but when I went to see them, they were really irritating to me for some reason. Perhaps it was the bassist's constant and ridiculous gesticulations, perhaps it was the fact that when they ran out of lyrics they kept singing "aaaaahhh aahhh ahh" and wouldn't STOP SINGING for just a little bit, perhaps it was the annoying "c'mon everybody, let's all get together for a big human be-in" vibe...
I don't know, really. They are very good musicians and I know other people who thought they were so good that they went and saw them in other towns on the same tour.
Purely a taste issue. I cannot fault them as musicians or singers.
If i get the chance to see them in the near future, i'll have to share my opinion on them. I know how that is with some bands, their live shows aren't quite what you wanted or expected. But they're deffinitely a band i want to see seeing as i've seen a lot of my favorite bands this summer so far.

Old 07.10.2006, 12:43 PM   #9
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
i dont want much, the sonic youth ep, and a prurient release . Im waiting for the reissue of animal collective's hollindagain...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 07:30 PM   #10
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
Stuff I'm merely curious to hear:
Birchville Cat Motel-Summer's Seething Pulse
The Shadow Ring-Lighthouse
Gang Wizard Algebrassiere-Split
Ashtray Navigations-Four More Raga Moods
The Dead C-Trapdoor Fucking Exit
A good album by Bardo Pond
+A bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

Stuff I probably won't get to hear too soon due to it's rarity:
V/A-Le Jazz Non (NZ music comp on Corpus Hermeticum)
Omit-Quad Triple
The Shadow Ring-Wax Work Echoes
Skullflower-Ruins
Skullflower-Birthdeath
Skullflower-Form Destroyer
LOOP-Pretty much everything they put out
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Bitches Brew is also on my list to get, on vinyl.

I found Licence to Ill for just a few dollars, when I bought it. I do like bargains.
Old 07.10.2006, 07:47 PM   #12
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Dr.Dre...Presents the Aftemath - Dr.Dre
Death Row Chronicles
Some albums by Jazzkammer
The Velvet Underground & Nico

I usually don't have a list. I just find some that I really like and buy them at the record store
Old 07.10.2006, 07:50 PM   #13
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Theres lots of Dre secondhand over here, on Compact Disc.
Old 07.10.2006, 08:03 PM   #14
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Theres lots of Dre secondhand over here, on Compact Disc.

Is there? Here in Ottawa there's no rap scene whatsoever despite the fact that half the teenagers dress like wiggers. At the record store they didn't even have Chronic 2k1, but I was able to pick up the "Still Dre" single on green vinyl with an accapella version on the B-side. It's pretty sweet! If I was still using my CD player a lot I'd ask you about them, I wish I could find more on vinyl.
Old 07.10.2006, 09:06 PM   #15
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
All the SYR's, but they've been on there for some time.
The Fall Peel Sessions
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral

Sure there's more. Albums usually don't come to mind unless I'm in a record store looking for them
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 11:35 PM   #16
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Akron/Family is such a fantastic band, you can't go wrong with that one.

All i really want right now:

Return to Cookie Mountain - TV On The Radio
Nightlife - Erase Errata
Aa - Aa

all on vinyl.

Return to Cookie Mountain is SO FUCKING GOOD. GET IT.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 11:42 PM   #17
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Return to Cookie Mountain is SO FUCKING GOOD. GET IT.
I want it so fucking badly but i don't have ANY record stores by me so i'll have till i can get in the city (sometime soon i hope). And i really don't want to download it and ruin the fun.

Old 07.10.2006, 11:53 PM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
East Jesus
Bad Moon Rising and EVOL (No, I don't have them)
Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
Xiu Xiu - Knife Play
John Coltrane - Ballads (Only have it on vinyl, no player)

But what I really need to do first is find a better way to hold my CDs. I've been having to store the ones I listen to least, since I can only fit 80 onto my shelves. All my new CDs just stack up on top of them, and it drives me crazy.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 02:23 AM   #19
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Bitches Brew is also on my list to get, on vinyl.

I found Licence to Ill for just a few dollars, when I bought it. I do like bargains.

Whoa, that's cool. I'd love to find License... on vinyl, esp for only a few bucks.

And yeah, Bitches Brew on vinyl. I can't believe I passed it up when I saw it in the bins a few months back. I hope it resurfaces.
Old 07.11.2006, 02:26 AM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 97th Hammer
Stuff I'm merely curious to hear:
Birchville Cat Motel-Summer's Seething Pulse
The Shadow Ring-Lighthouse
Gang Wizard Algebrassiere-Split
Ashtray Navigations-Four More Raga Moods
The Dead C-Trapdoor Fucking Exit
A good album by Bardo Pond
+A bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

Stuff I probably won't get to hear too soon due to it's rarity:
V/A-Le Jazz Non (NZ music comp on Corpus Hermeticum)
Omit-Quad Triple
The Shadow Ring-Wax Work Echoes
Skullflower-Ruins
Skullflower-Birthdeath
Skullflower-Form Destroyer
LOOP-Pretty much everything they put out

Hey, we'll have to meet up sometime. Where do you buy your stuff? Record Collector?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth