Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page king of limbs discussion
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.23.2011, 01:24 PM   #81
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Listened to it today a few times...it's not bad but I was dissapointed.

I used to love radiohead a few years ago and I think that they should have real drums like they used to and not just electronic stuff. That's what made this album not so attractive in my ears, even though it was really great!

wait, phil didn't leave, aren't there real drums on this new album?!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 01:39 PM   #82
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I wrote something along theese lines in a post I decided to delete coz I havo no time to discuss stuff in here, but a lot of the things that on record sound like electronic stuff are actually played with "real" drums and guitars+effects...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 01:53 PM   #83
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Yes.
It's funny that a lot of people seem to still have this idea that "electronic music is just pressing a couple of buttons" and does not involve any instruments or manipulation of any kind.

Not that I care. You can press a couple of buttons and if I like it I like it.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 02:00 PM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I wrote something along theese lines in a post I decided to delete coz I havo no time to discuss stuff in here, but a lot of the things that on record sound like electronic stuff are actually played with "real" drums and guitars+effects...

exactly why I adore radiohead, I mentioned above that my favorite thing about them is that they keep live band and real instruments even for those electronic tunes that don't need them. it humanizes an otherwise robotic sound of music

Old 02.24.2011, 11:37 AM   #85
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...king-of-limbs/
Old 02.24.2011, 11:48 AM   #86
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Yes.
It's funny that a lot of people seem to still have this idea that "electronic music is just pressing a couple of buttons" and does not involve any instruments or manipulation of any kind.

Careful, hevusa might be listening.

And I'm surprised pitchfork never gave it a 9.2 BEST NU MOOSIC.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2011, 11:57 AM   #87
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
wait, phil didn't leave, aren't there real drums on this new album?!

Well, listening to it I clearly noticed that the drums were elctronic.
its pretty possible that there are some real drums on some songs, but not what I ever noticed.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2011, 12:15 PM   #88
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Well, listening to it I clearly noticed that the drums were elctronic.
its pretty possible that there are some real drums on some songs, but not what I ever noticed.

I think those drums were recorded and then worked on. That's what it sounds like to me.

Old 02.24.2011, 02:36 PM   #89
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think those drums were recorded and then worked on. That's what it sounds like to me.

that's what they usually do, plus I distinctly saw pictures of phil in the studio so I'm sure he is there, does anybody have any kind of liner notes to sort this out?

Old 02.24.2011, 02:42 PM   #90
knox
invito al cielo

but why does it matter?

Old 02.24.2011, 03:33 PM   #91
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
that's what they usually do, plus I distinctly saw pictures of phil in the studio so I'm sure he is there, does anybody have any kind of liner notes to sort this out?
You know I love
you and all that, Suchfriends, but seriously, someone pointed out on Facebook how Radiohead fans spend days trying to justify their output for days/months/eternity every time they put a record out. Generally only the few ardent fans (and I don't think their records inspire outright loyalty) they have will weakly argue their worth, because they haven't got any regardless of the two aesthetical sides they choose to side with for the occasion. And both those sides they make sound boring and uninispiring with few exceptions. That's just the records.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2011, 03:43 PM   #92
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You know I love
you and all that, Suchfriends, but seriously, someone pointed out on Facebook how Radiohead fans spend days trying to justify their output for days/months/eternity every time they put a record out. Generally only the few ardent fans (and I don't think their records inspire outright loyalty) they have will weakly argue their worth, because they haven't got any regardless of the two aesthetical sides they choose to side with for the occasion. And both those sides they make sound boring and uninispiring with few exceptions. That's just the records.

I'm not sure what youre saying exactly. I haven't even heard this record yet, I am just trying do discuss it like we do all other kinds of music. If you notice, I haven't even talked about this record so much on this thread so much as things I like and dislike about radiohead and music in general.

I am not one of those radiohead-is-gospel kinds of fans, but nonetheless I am not so jaded by the hype that I can't also enjoy a detailed discussion of a band I happen to still enjoy even if I am not necessarily supposed to

Old 02.24.2011, 03:49 PM   #93
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Well my comment was more aimed at all Radiohead discussion in general. It's baffling they inspire this sort of thing. Myself included.
Old 02.24.2011, 03:54 PM   #94
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Well my comment was more aimed at all Radiohead discussion in general. It's baffling they inspire this sort of thing. Myself included.

I baffled at a lot people's differing tastes in music, but I have learned to let it be. I used to be one of those hardcore music snobs, but then I realized I was actually depriving myself of the potentials of new musics. I can't for the life of me understand why people love nu-metal or blink-182esque pop-punk, or take it at all serious to boot!, however I must admit their love for those musics is not different than my own for my tastes. I actually like radiohead like I like SY. If Steve Shelley left the group, I would notice, I would want to talk about it. And I am sure most of us here would agree.. well, I also like radiohead, and if phil is not there, i would also have regrets, he is one of my favorites. That dude is a fucking professional, two decades, motherfucker still always drums in a suit! Is always on point, always mathematically precise and yet feeling the groove, is there even when they could have got a drum machine years ago, and I stand by the ideology that "drum machines have no soul."

Old 02.24.2011, 04:02 PM   #95
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

But that's the poing Suchfriends, I think Radiohead are a major spanner when it comes to being enthusiastic about new music. Seriously deceiving entity that they are. Trust me on this.
Old 02.24.2011, 04:03 PM   #96
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

its a good philosophy

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2011, 09:26 PM   #97
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
its a good philosophy

it is!

"drum machines have no soul" did such friends really say that?

Old 02.24.2011, 11:11 PM   #98
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Radiohead fans are like Deadheads, but snottier. If you equate Radiohead and their fans with the Dead and their obsessors, they're a lot easier to ignore. HAVING SAID THAT, every few years I give Kid A a spin. I don't think anyone could argue that it wasn't an ambitious LEAP for them. But a lot of their stuff makes me want to go back to their sources of inspiration (krautrock, electronic music). "ooh, that's a good sound there. oh wait, I could just spin that Harmonia record and get the same feeling." They managed to hone a sound that is very much their own, but unfortunately instead of absorbing the electro touchstones they love so much, they just watered them down into nothing with Thom's whining on top.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2011, 11:56 PM   #99
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
this new album is pretty good but not great.

i know this hot chick who is into radiohead so i'll glady pretend
it's the best album ever just so i can fuck her
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2011, 02:14 PM   #100
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Radiohead fans are like Deadheads, but snottier. If you equate Radiohead and their fans with the Dead and their obsessors, they're a lot easier to ignore. .
so what should I do, I am both a deadhead and a radiohead fan? Am I doomed to over-emphasizing otherwise underwhelming music?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth