Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.18.2014, 04:33 PM   #661
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand what's happening here, BUT....

All of you guys should totally avoid this Bishop Nahru kid. He is crap, despite the "MF DOOM produced" tracks, the kid sounds like a bored (or more bored) Earl Sweatshirt who's never seen much of anything. That's what he is, actually. Being sixteen ( and telling us his age at least that many times on his last mixtape. Ugh!) and not having the bizarrely compelling drone flow of Earl... Who's already at least half a genius.

Anyway, when's Carter V gon' leak?!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2014, 04:39 PM   #662
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i really can't wait for Ab-Soul's new album. been listening to Control System non stop lately, such a unique album.

Wait, I thought we were all kind of not crazy about that guy. Didn't we have a conversation about this that pretty much settled the matter? I did hear a track of his that made my earls go up like a dog's the other day... Gave it a few stars on my iPod after months of not hearing a single thing on any of his tracks that sparked my interest.

Anyway. I'm thinking about that new guilty Simpson album. Maybe giving it a chance. Or this Gasface guy. Awful name, but he does have a strong rep. growing in in the "guys who listen to Has Lo, Blu, and MellowMusicGroup comps that feature has lo and blue" demographic. Too bad most of toes guys suck, am I right?
Old 05.18.2014, 04:42 PM   #663
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, I thought we were all kind of not crazy about that guy. Didn't we have a conversation about this that pretty much settled the matter? I did hear a track of his that made my earls go up like a dog's the other day... Gave it a few stars on my iPod after months of not hearing a single thing on any of his tracks that sparked my interest.
haha, what? i always tell you guys how much i like Control System. "The Book Of Soul" is one of the best rap songs in the last few years.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2014, 04:58 PM   #664
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh ... Jeeeez man, take an ambien or something. Or maybe I should. Then his rapping may actually sound like it is appropriately metered instead of sounding about as fast as sap traveling down the trunk of a massive redwood.
Old 05.18.2014, 09:00 PM   #665
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
your thoughts, NR?

good. Good?

The beat's nothing spectacular. But at least it sounds like a Lil Wayne song. And he's going pretty hard lyrically. I'm with it. Looking forward to C5.
Old 05.20.2014, 07:36 AM   #666
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
yr so right. great post!!!! it almost seems everyone does something hard now. even the rich kids are hitting shit like crack now. that's better for my ego.

more rich kids on crack and meth the better. surely they don't know that cocaine drains YOUR FUCKING SOUL!!!! maybe they are'nt sniffin hard enough by theirselves.

Take it from me, rich kids can party harder than anyone this side of Bangkok. At least in my day (late high school, college in the late '90s/early '00s) the rich kids did all the hard shit, knew more about it, had more connections, and were actually sometimes scarier than the hustlers and thugs and stoners.

I fell in with a grouping extremely rush Brent Easton-Ellis clichés when I was starting college. I went from thinking I was hardcore for being a seasoned hard alcohol drinker and occasional weed and LSD user to literally being the most inexperienced person in my own life. The rich kids I befriended were experienced cocaine and heroin users (though not habitual ones) who were familiar with drugs if never even encountered before.

These kids with money don't grow up with the same notions of consequence and fear of reprimand that the rest of us have. We used to "hang out" at so and so's loft, and everyone would just sit down in a circle and pull whatever drug they happened to be carrying in mass quantities out of their bags and we'd all just dive in, like that scene in The Darjheeling Ltd. where the bro there's meet up on the train for the first time. Hah.

Crack was way beneath the kids I knew. They preferred the purest cocaine I've ever fucking seen.. The kind of shit I couldn't have purchased a gram of with my own life savings at the time. Granted, many of these kids graduated with C averages after six years of fucking around, or fell off the face of the earth. But I assure you, rich kids can be fucking crazy. I've never been rich, and even in adulthood I'm only moderately well off with a job that's under constant threat of termination. I will never know the kind of crazy that they were familiar with by eighth grade. Lol.
Old 05.20.2014, 07:42 AM   #667
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
hip hop's always been fickle to me with a cracklike effect. it's stimilating at first then yr just staring at the same old 2d wall paper.

rock is just the same ol boring sounds everyones been hearing since the VU. it's never really exciting until someone or some band comes along and acts like they're having fun on stage, but even then it's somehow rehashed. unless yr young both genres can get tedious. hip hop has technology on it's side, though and always makes the best of it.

try some vocal jazz

Electronic music and experimental guitar based music also have an edge by being willing to try new technologies and mix things up. I think a lot of the organic music of the world is kind of dying, for the moment, and that's fine with me because you're right. Punk hasn't offered anything new in a very long time. Since the dawn of hardcore, really. Hip hop is constantly trying new things.
Old 05.20.2014, 02:23 PM   #668
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I've said for awhile that hip hop and electronic music are still really interesting and evolving while guitar music seems stuck in limbo, constantly replicating the sounds of the past.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2014, 02:44 PM   #669
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
this is all very simplistic thinking.

Big Black sounded nothing like VU and used a synthetic drummer way before other "rock" bands did it.

Sonic Youth did so much innovation on guitar that it now seems old hat, but they surpassed VU's sound many times over.

"rock n roll" has been around now for 60+ years.

Hip Hop music has been around for almost 40 years.

Both genres have been recycling themselves for decades now.

Bands/groups in either genre who seek to expand the musical vocabulary of these genres are always ridiculed at first by the purists , then their innovations end up seeming boring and trite once everyone catches up. It is what it is.

at it's core, rock n roll is riffs, a backbeat, and songs about primal things.

at it's core, hip hop is a looped beat, and an MC talking to their people in rhyme.

Both of these allow for an infinite variety of sound.

What I used to love about Hip Hop was how it was structured so differently from traditional song forms. That shit went out the window in the late 80's, early 90's when record labels and rappers realized mad money could be made by essentially making pop songs with rapped verses, and sing along Rhythm and bullshit choruses. After that (and after the labels sucked the creativity out of sampling) most mainstream Hip Hop was just the same old tired formula. verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus chorus.....

innovation in music happens because people get tired of the same old shit, but it can only go so far.

The history of Jazz shows this, having reached a maximum level of innovation that took shit to such far out edges that everyone lost the thread of true jazz improvisation. Fusion sounded like drug addled funk. Free Jazz became cacophony for it's own sake. Smooth Jazz became adult contempo background music.

The same is happening as we speak to rock n roll. rock music did so much with a riff, beat and a song that there is not much else left to do with that framework that has not been done.

In ten or twenty years the same thing will happen with Hip Hop.

I have been predicting the next big wave of young people's music to piss off parents will be Tejano/ranchera inspired accordion music, good for drinking and for dancing, and it will usher in a new wave of polyphonic multi-instrumental music that is as far removed from rock as hip hop was back in the day.

rambling.....
Old 05.20.2014, 04:29 PM   #670
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I suppose hip hop makes white, jaded, privileged kids feel ok about their racism.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2014, 04:39 PM   #671
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
that it do...
Old 05.20.2014, 09:56 PM   #672
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Genteel Death again.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2014, 08:24 AM   #673
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I wonder why white folks have not made inroads into taking over Hip Hop like they did with Rock n roll?

I mean, in the 80's a "black" rock band was such a rarity! (in the mainstream)

why do you guys think that is? rock music got taken by white folks REAL quick.
Old 05.21.2014, 04:57 PM   #674
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

The flip side of that is that, in the 80's and 90's Rap music's explosion in sales was mostly due to white kids buying it. I don't know if it was because of "relating" as much as it was because it was something different, something thrilling in it's newness. white kids like to scare their parents.
Old 05.21.2014, 07:39 PM   #675
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hip hop is constantly trying new things.
I disagree with this analysis, hip hop like all other musics is simply recycling and revisiting and remixing previous incarnations of sound and style. There is nothing "new" just renewed ways of looking at the same things.

Old 05.21.2014, 07:42 PM   #676
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I mean, in the 80's a "black" rock band was such a rarity! (in the mainstream)

Just the 1980s? I can't think of s single mainstream, popular, black fronted rock band of the 2000s, period. And only a handful from the 1990s. Its insane how when guitar oriented music from 1920s-1950s was dominated by genius black guitarists and song writers, that since the 1980s Prince, Lenny Kravitz, and HR are about it. Honorable mention to Fishbone but I'm from LA where there from, so they may not have actually had as much reach or influence as they did here where they're a household name from anybody from the 1990s..

Old 05.22.2014, 04:57 AM   #677
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
new vid of Weezy in the studio, recording a song "Tina Turn Up Needs A Tune Up": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H71OPcYRfsc

amazing.
Old 05.22.2014, 05:31 AM   #678
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
good. Good?

The beat's nothing spectacular. But at least it sounds like a Lil Wayne song. And he's going pretty hard lyrically. I'm with it. Looking forward to C5.
"Pops treated mom like Billie Jean
Like hot sauce, I put it on everything
I'ma give that fuckin' woman everything, everything"
Old 05.22.2014, 09:28 AM   #679
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Just the 1980s? I can't think of s single mainstream, popular, black fronted rock band of the 2000s, period. And only a handful from the 1990s. Its insane how when guitar oriented music from 1920s-1950s was dominated by genius black guitarists and song writers, that since the 1980s Prince, Lenny Kravitz, and HR are about it. Honorable mention to Fishbone but I'm from LA where there from, so they may not have actually had as much reach or influence as they did here where they're a household name from anybody from the 1990s..

There were a few. Fishbone, Living Color, 24/7 Spyz (poor man's fishbone)

There were a few black dudes rockin' in other bands too.

Suicidal Tendencies (Rocky George), Kings X (Doug Pinnick)

the list of white hip hop acts who made $$ is fairly short too,

Beastie Boys, Eminem are the top tier in terms of quality output I guess. Vanilla Ice was a joke. Marky mark & The Funky Bunch were a joke. 3rd Bass were an odd thing, and MC Serch's solo stuff never caught on.

I just wish more people listened to a wider variety of stuff, which would help create a wider range of sounds.

Chuck D once said the more you know the more you can rap about. The same goes for music I think.
Old 05.22.2014, 09:52 AM   #680
louder
invito al cielo

well as far as white rappers go, now we have Mac Miller, Macklemore, Action Bronson, Riff Raff, Lil Ugly Mane..

at least a couple of them aren't a joke.
313233 34 35363744 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth