Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Living rooms: discuss, post pictures, etc
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.27.2008, 04:57 AM   #61
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
things we NEED to know:
budget
size of the room
purpose(s) of the room (if you want to listen to music in there you might have to consider acoustic "issues" too when placing stuff).
That said, I'll probably be quite useless as a counselour, since due to budget restrinctions my store of choice has to be Ikea.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 08:06 AM   #62
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Ergonomic chairs are very comfortable.

Someone should make a 3d impression of Fallingwater with a CAD program.
Would be great to walk through it with a mouse.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 10:26 AM   #63
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
...out again to another patio.

This is a picture so gorgeous I want to melt. As we're in the realms of architecture -

Zaha Hadid

Returning to the topic at hand, I think you should go Bauhaus. Everyone love Bauhaus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 10:34 AM   #64
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli

wow, thats really nice!, i would live there!!!!!

I need to get some more art work up in my house.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 10:40 AM   #65
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
I go away 2 days and you've gone all Changing Rooms on me? What the hell?
Old 01.27.2008, 01:03 PM   #66
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Oscar Niemeyer (King of curves)

Casa das Canoas

It's interior:

http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/at...d=11830629 30

http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/at...d=11830630 09
Old 01.27.2008, 01:12 PM   #67
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

He transformed Brasilia into a city of the future.
Had his 100th birthday just the other day.
Old 01.27.2008, 02:47 PM   #68
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
this reminds me so much of home when I was a little kid, my parents had a whole orange 70s thing happening which I think they chose from before my big sister was born and kept it like that for ages. I'm sure it must have been very funky at the time and has come back into fashion since then but I have an aversion to anything 70s cause of having to wake up to bright orange and red in every imageinable synthetic material every morning..arghh!

So yeah if I hadn't been scared off by that I might have been into futuristic furniture more in terms of actually living with it, but on a day to day basis I like my living room to be kinda rustic and natural. I'll have a look to see if I can find some photos of my living room, one thing I'd like to add to it is to have more bookcases, I like to have heaps of books around and more art up too when I can afford to frame more things.

ha ha ha orry to hear. my parents had conventional furniture while i was growing up. so and i love orange! i used to have a huge orange wall in my dc apartment a couple of years ago. the rustic look i like for the countryside and actually we have a little hovel in the mountains where we lived for a while... i wouldn't mind putting furniture made of logs in that one (it gets filthy easily anyway, ha).

but for the city i need bright colors i guess. oh i hate pastels. i hate pastels to death. and earth tones, while pleasant in general, leave me cold.

Quote:
true, but keep in mind that, if it's frilly and draped over the back of a chair, or has anything to do with candles or teapots, or it's puffy or has stripes or is even vaguely "traditional" looking... my ex-wife put it there. in my apartment now i have tile floor and no sofa... partly because my living room has to doublle as a working studio space.

ha ha i didn't wanna point out the discrepancy between your photos & your dream homes. that explains the divorce. congratulations.

but anyway, still, life has a lot more junk than magazine photos. my point is design has to be realistic not "ideal". it's like... making a shirt with no arm holes. not sure i'm clear. i'm hungry and i just woke up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
chicks are galore. savage canes it

i guess!

Quote:
if it comes with the chick and the books, i'm putting it on my credit card tonight. i'll pay it off after i get a job...

anyway - in the price range your looking at:

KARLSTAD Sofa and chaise lounge from IKEA

KARLSTAD 2 chaise lounges and loveseat from IKEA

KRAMFORS Left loveseat unit from IKEA +

KRAMFORS Right-hand chaise from IKEA

yeah ive considered ikea and in fact own some of their stuff but over the years i've tired of it-- while their most expensive stuff looks pretty well built for the money, their lower cost items are flimsy and degrade fast.

anyway that red one on the top i like in pictures, but i know the legs are going to be this light wood etc. i know. i have an ikea leather couch that, while i like, i'm tired of it, it has a fallen "leg" from a couple of moves, i don't know.

OH AND i really don't want leather this time because (this is funny) i have some vegetarian friends and will likely have new ones and i've notice they cringe a little when they have to sit on the leather couch-- since the l.r. is the "social " room i want everybody to be comfortable. ha ha ha it is true.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 02:50 PM   #69
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses

there is a large pink velvet sectional couch reupholstered by me ($0 other than the fabric)
small square antique end tables
a HUGE persian carpet
a kidney bean shaped coffee table
an upright piano in the corner
telly in front of the fireplace
baroque silver mirror over the fireplace
blondie poster
solarized warhol marilyn monroe poster
red velvet drapes
record crates w/turntable on top
speakers on either side of the fireplace (didn't draw them)
lots of bric-a-brac on top of the mantlepiece
old lamps
a velvet chair
magenta velvet floor cushions by the coffee table (didnt draw)
beads hanging in the archway from the living room to dining room
tapestry pillows on couch and chair
bric a brac sitting atop the telly
glass ashtrays
old sweaterknit throws in bizarre colors

etc etc
i guess pretty bohemian looking
Old 01.27.2008, 02:55 PM   #70
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
I'm in charge of the "Interior Design" section of our bookstore. Lately, I've seen some very inspirational photos. Especialy those regarding the "Living Room" section. I should do some research on monday.

My dream home would be in a loft...

thanks! please do. yeah i'd love a loft but for now i'm moving to an old house in a city neighborhood. not exactly a beauty, the place, but it's got plenty of room & great location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
although i love houses of genious architecture like those, i wouldnt want to live in one. or ok, have it as second house..
minimalistic style, only liked it for a year or so, 10 years ago. then i switched and still am a mix&match person.
one thing i dont like, is metalic feet of those modern couches..with only exeption the barcelona chairs.
my dream is to have dinning table with different chairs and lately been thinking how it could be possible to sell mine. costed a fortune.
the styles i like the most are 60ties/70ties, design chairs like savage clone has (whenever i see your house, i think of dennis hopper) and the boudoir style, i just adore the boudoir style! and i love my couch, which is simple line one, dark brown with many cousions for the back instead of 2 or 3.
you can have a simple/neutral couch and different style of chairs around it.
-or make a new material on your old couch (dunno what furniture you have) i have one 60ties -old from my mother's first living room and need to get this one aswell for my parents balkony set:

now, i took only this picture of a magazine for you.

great post nefeli, thanks so much-- that's the kind of response i was hoping to get. you got me thinking.

and thanks for those crazy blog links as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
things we NEED to know:
budget
size of the room
purpose(s) of the room (if you want to listen to music in there you might have to consider acoustic "issues" too when placing stuff).
That said, I'll probably be quite useless as a counselour, since due to budget restrinctions my store of choice has to be Ikea.

ha ha ha... thanks man but no, i dont need direct "advice" as "you should do this"--- well actually i kinda got into that didn't i? but that wasn't the intention...

in any cae, the budget is $0 (ha), the size im not sure, the pictures i'll have when my friend who took the pictures emails them back to me (long story, we didnt actually "see" the house at first).

good thinking on the acoustic aspect of it though. music will *definitely* be a big focus of that space. playing records and... who knows? maybe i'll buy a bass or a drumset at some point. yeah hm i wouldn't mind having people over to play.... the fun... i'm gonna research acoustic materials etc.
Old 01.27.2008, 02:58 PM   #71
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
There are two details in that picture that make me think you're wonderful - first, you wrote 'telly' rather than TV (which strikes me as a British thing, possibly). Second, in spite of not paying the greatest amount of attention to proportions, scales, and straight lines, you've gone to the trouble of accurately drawing two octaves on the piano. There's an obvious psychological point about that, but there's no point saying it.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.27.2008, 03:00 PM   #72
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i like the word telly
i hear it every day
i just drew some lines on the piano

my apt is much more cluttered than that drawing would lead you to believe
stacks of magazines everywhere and whatnot
Old 01.27.2008, 03:03 PM   #73
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
The shell chairs are Miller ones.
The price: zero dollars.
Tattoo chair also zero dollars.
Record browsers, zero dollars.

Design Within Reach indeed!

five-finger loans? superior dumpster diving? tasteful dead relatives?

what is the secret??

Please teach me, Sensei!
Old 01.27.2008, 03:20 PM   #74
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Returning to the topic at hand, I think you should go Bauhaus. Everyone love Bauhaus.

yeah i do but nefeli's post got me thinking. the thing is men tend to love the simple/industrial look of bauhaus (i do). women tend to find it boring/sterile/dull after a while. being the married sort, i am forced to share my quarters with a specimen of the female gender. i'd live in a factory-library for fucks sakes. but i like the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous

there is a large pink velvet sectional couch reupholstered by me ($0 other than the fabric)
small square antique end tables
a HUGE persian carpet
a kidney bean shaped coffee table
an upright piano in the corner
telly in front of the fireplace
baroque silver mirror over the fireplace
blondie poster
solarized warhol marilyn monroe poster
red velvet drapes
record crates w/turntable on top
speakers on either side of the fireplace (didn't draw them)
lots of bric-a-brac on top of the mantlepiece
old lamps
a velvet chair
magenta velvet floor cushions by the coffee table (didnt draw)
beads hanging in the archway from the living room to dining room
tapestry pillows on couch and chair
bric a brac sitting atop the telly
glass ashtrays
old sweaterknit throws in bizarre colors

etc etc
i guess pretty bohemian looking

^^ see that's what i'm talking about. funky. women seem to love funky.

eclecticism will win at the end of the day, i know, in spite of my demands for spartan environs and a functional space.

i draw this diagram. i should photograph & share. but i'm more into the inspiration seeking than instructions, so i don't know.

-------

ANYWAY YOU ALL RULE. THIS THREAD IS LOTS OF FUN TO READ. THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS.
Old 01.27.2008, 03:39 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah i do but nefeli's post got me thinking. the thing is men tend to love the simple/industrial look of bauhaus (i do). women tend to find it boring/sterile/dull after a while. being the married sort, i am forced to share my quarters with a specimen of the female gender. i'd live in a factory-library for fucks sakes. but i like the company.

^^ see that's what i'm talking about. funky. women seem to love funky.

eclecticism will win at the end of the day, i know, in spite of my demands for spartan environs and a functional space.

i draw this diagram. i should photograph & share. but i'm more into the inspiration seeking than instructions, so i don't know.

-------

ANYWAY YOU ALL RULE. THIS THREAD IS LOTS OF FUN TO READ. THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

It is fascinating, that process - like the cushions argument. I don't know if everyone who's lived with a partner/ person of the opposite sex has had this, but I have. Cushions. There's no fucking point. They're annoying, unless you're at the age where you're beset by back problems. No-one uses a cushion. Most chaps wouldn't have them; most women have them and don't use them. The Bauhaus appeals to chaps because there's no faff (flack, flotsam etc); women like the faff. Perhaps men see spaces as functional entities, or rather, express themselves in their territory by means of how 'organised' they are (hence no faff); women see them as a space for personal identity, a canvas for the self.

Or am I being borderline misogynist?

Quote:
Old 01.27.2008, 03:45 PM   #76
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It is fascinating, that process - like the cushions argument. I don't know if everyone who's lived with a partner/ person of the opposite sex has had this, but I have. Cushions. There's no fucking point. They're annoying, unless you're at the age where you're beset by back problems. No-one uses a cushion. Most chaps wouldn't have them; most women have them and don't use them. The Bauhaus appeals to chaps because there's no faff (flack, flotsam etc); women like the faff. Perhaps men see spaces as functional entities, or rather, express themselves in their territory by means of how 'organised' they are (hence no faff); women see them as a space for personal identity, a canvas for the self.

Or am I being borderline misogynist?

funny thing, i use cushions. i don't like sitting upright. i 'm a lazy bastard and i need something like a pillow. so i stuff them on the corner of the couch, i put my head on them, then i put my feel up on the other end of the couch.

of course i have never personally bought a cushion. they all came with the women.

but yes, cushions do have a function for me.

otherwise, ha ha, faff.

i could do without cushions if i had one of these:

Old 01.27.2008, 03:47 PM   #77
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I like pillow better than cushions. I have 2 pillows on my couch.

not this.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 04:25 PM   #78
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
Borderline?!!?!?
Old 01.27.2008, 04:41 PM   #79
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
Borderline?!!?!?

Yes [interrobang]

Quote:
Old 01.27.2008, 04:44 PM   #80
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

'Interrobang' will never catch on as a punctuation mark and we all know it.

My living room has a lot of weird crap on the shelves that coordinates with the cushions. Looks nice, but not sure what any of it is for...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth