Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page my mangs, suchfriends really gone huh?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.11.2017, 12:35 PM   #61
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
my therapist doesn't even speak when i enter the room, i have to start. he will occasionally interrupt or ask me to clarify a comment, but in such a way that it makes a certain point or insight obvious. he manages to make the insights and connection happen by saying very little. it's all already in the unconscious waiting to come out.

they way he works is extremely clever. it's hard to describe how he does it, but he can make you suddenly see a connection you didn't see before simply by saying something like "that happened after x happened" or "and you said this earlier". it is what i expected it to be like after doing my research beforehand. he has a tendency to force me to pin down exact dates about events in the past that i talk about, which was unexpected. he wouldn't let me get away with saying that "event x happened when i was around 15 or 16", he will push me until i get the year and my age right, until i link it to other events i keep bringing up.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 12:54 PM   #62
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
my therapist doesn't even speak when i enter the room, i have to start. he will occasionally interrupt or ask me to clarify a comment, but in such a way that it makes a certain point or insight obvious. he manages to make the insights and connection happen by saying very little. it's all already in the unconscious waiting to come out.

they way he works is extremely clever. it's hard to describe how he does it, but he can make you suddenly see a connection you didn't see before simply by saying something like "that happened after x happened" or "and you said this earlier". it is what i expected it to be like after doing my research beforehand. he has a tendency to force me to pin down exact dates about events in the past that i talk about, which was unexpected. he wouldn't let me get away with saying that "event x happened when i was around 15 or 16", he will push me until i get the year and my age right, until i link it to other events i keep bringing up.

That's interesting. My clinical coursework was limited (research nerd, right here), but I had a *bit.* And of course I sell out a small theatre with the amount of therapists I've seen... and one thing I've noticed, pretty much across the board, is that the event intakes precedence over the time. A LOT of therapists are fine with general ideas of the timing of things (8-10 years ago, "when I was five or six," "in my late teens," "when I was little"). They usually want to know, roughly, what your age was to frame within a larger context for their initial "assessment" and for their case notes.

It's weird. But American therapists are also very wary about asking for specifics about things that happened a long time ago. Your brain forgets and rearranges and reinterprets events all the time, and nobody wants to be blamed for encouraging or eliciting false memories. That's why they tend to take your word for it and move on with a general idea of the incident in question.

Damn, now I wanna read about psychoanalytical theory, but I have this dumb job to do at this stupid newspaper. Fuck my life
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 01:19 PM   #63
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery

that sounds fascinating.

i wonder if there are parallels with keeping a diary (i've never kept a diary because i'm paranoid)

the person i mentioned before who did this treatment never heard a single word, not one over many years-- or so she said.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 03:09 PM   #64
PLips
Banned

PLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's asses
Freud Jung had a profound understanding of both the occult and mysticism. That's how I figure our psychology. The fear of being devoured or possessed by the occult prevents practicing psychologists from offering practical therapy. They shouldn't be scared of the the lizard they should be scared of Baphomet the scapegoat.

The Hippocratic Oath that all medical practioners must take before entering their career, has a line about 'not removing the patient from their stone."

I took that as, a doctor is not responsible for a person's evil burdens or sins. And that's the 10 foot pole approach to psychology you're all describing. Fucking sucks. Sometimes you're just begging your doc to judge so you can figure it out faster but he/she might lose their practice if they do
PLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 03:18 PM   #65
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses

dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth