Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Literature fans?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2011, 04:26 AM   #21
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
my friend just found this

What´s that got to do with the literature?
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 09:20 AM   #22
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Victor Serge: Unforgiving Years
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 10:09 AM   #23
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
So I just finished Metamorphosis....and....well.....it just made me incredibly sad.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 10:40 AM   #24
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
^ How Kafka can make us care about some dude turned into an insect is partly why he was a genius.

By the way, read it again and look for comedy. You'll find plenty.

Next, read The Castle.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:45 AM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm in the middle of Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook. Exquisitely written, lots of lovely politics and she seems to have more registers of writing than is seriously reasonable for a single individual.

I may have also mentioned this before, but Helene Cixous' Neuter was probably the best thing I read last year (and last year was a particularly heavy year for reading for me). Baffling, but beautifully so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:58 AM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

^^^ YES!!!

kafka was by all accounts a very funny man and once you get past the shock of being thrown the futility of our little lives on the face (we're all insects, kinda), his books are hilarious.

1st time i read the castle i wanted to hang myself from the boredom.

btw, i highly recommend orson welles's film version of the trial-- it's very fucking good! great screenplay, great great great cinematography, i shot a brain cumload when i watched it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 03:23 PM   #27
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I have a lot of free time today(class cancelled due to bad weather) and I guess I can go re-read it.
Old 02.01.2011, 03:37 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
^ How Kafka can make us care about some dude turned into an insect is partly why he was a genius.

Next, read The Castle.

I know, maybe it was a bad translation, because while there were melancholy overtones, overall that short story was quite hilarious if you took it in a literal sense, I mean imagine that outlandish event actually happened to your family, exactly the way Kafka narrated it at that! More psychedelic then mushrooms!!

That is also why I like Dahl, because he has that kind of absurdity to his most glaring reality, basically the Leslie Neilsen approach which makes something so damned inappropriately serious that you can't help but laugh and say is this for real?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 03:47 PM   #29
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I know, maybe it was a bad translation, because while there were melancholy overtones, overall that short story was quite hilarious if you took it in a literal sense, I mean imagine that outlandish event actually happened to your family, exactly the way Kafka narrated it at that! More psychedelic then mushrooms!!

in the literal sense...well...I can see it kind of funny since yer kind of describing it (bold script) like a prime time sitcom...but still. What's funny about potentially ruining yer family's life? Granted they were better off in the end....but Grete, his sister, for instance....wouldn't you have rather seen her become a talented musician, ESPECIALLY! after this

"And yet the sister was playing so beautifully. Her face was inclined to one side, her eyes followed the notes of the music with a searching and sorrowful look."

I mean....that sense of helplessness I sensed there....hit me hard. I dunno. when on the literal sense...the only comedy I can see is the fact that a human being was transformed into a giant bug.
Old 02.01.2011, 03:57 PM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
in the literal sense...well...I can see it kind of funny since yer kind of describing it (bold script) like a prime time sitcom...but still. What's funny about potentially ruining yer family's life? Granted they were better off in the end....but Grete, his sister, for instance....wouldn't you have rather seen her become a talented musician, ESPECIALLY! after this

"And yet the sister was playing so beautifully. Her face was inclined to one side, her eyes followed the notes of the music with a searching and sorrowful look."

I mean....that sense of helplessness I sensed there....hit me hard. I dunno. when on the literal sense...the only comedy I can see is the fact that a human being was transformed into a giant bug.

whats funny is the way the people went about it in a rather mundane, routine and farcical manner when if the story went exactly as it was written, it would be unimaginably even demonically horrifying. Of course what is happening is so surreal it is absurd, and that is why it can remain funny, but it is indeed a chilling blend of fear and laughter, but what in life isn't? People still kept their sense of humor in the Concentration Camps, surely we can laugh with Kafka at the Metamorphasis, and then afterward delve into the deeper, more serious meanings, motifs and symbolism used to tell a deeper story that may be a bit less funny.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:32 PM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just going to point out a couple of things, as I've drunk too much and, y'know, it's the internet and stuff.

First: I think that suchfriends... sees Kafka as funny suggests he's close to European humour. This is quite the compliment from me, as Americans are clearly the repulsive dogshit on the street of international culture.

Second: I have a habit of thinking anyone thinking Burroughs is a good writer is a prick. Don't get me wrong, I like Burroughs, but if that's the end of your literary knowledge you need to man the fuck up and read anything pre-20th century and non-American.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.01.2011, 11:33 PM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Note Bene: If suchfriends... has said anything pleasant about Burroughs he's excused because that motherfucker is a better read motherfucker than all of y'all illiterate motherfuckers.

Quote:
Old 02.02.2011, 02:59 AM   #33
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't finish the Castle; book drove me nuts. Kafka's short stories/novellas are fantastic though. From what I understand, and I'm no German speaker, is that the first two or three sentences of the Metamorphosis translate something akin to "Gregor Samsa woke up like an insect" based on a specific grammar form in German. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, In the Penal Colony is amazing and a quick read.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 04:21 AM   #34
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I think nobody hasn´t yet mentoined Anthony Burgess book Clockwork Orange. I think it is very good accompanion to Vonnegut´s Player piano, Huxley´s Brand new world, Orwell´s 1984 and also Kafka´s works. I liked also a lot the film from Kubrick.
Old 02.02.2011, 04:28 AM   #35
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

About Burroughs...Well he´s not my favourite, but somehow I have liked his paranoid world. And if I remembered correct, Junkie was quite good, easyreading book. I have also liked a lot the story behind Tom Waits Black Rider, although I have never read the original play.
Old 02.02.2011, 10:51 AM   #36
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Faulkner, Cormac, Hemingway, Joyce, Roth, Pynchon, Capote, David Foster Wallace, Michael Chabon, Ayn Rand, Toni Morrison, Burroughs, Bukowski, William Gibson, Claude McKay, Jonathan Franzen.

For more easy reading (i.e., stuff that makes plane flights go by faster) I like Pahluniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain, shit like that.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 10:53 AM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Marquis de Sade rules too. I Never dug Kafka much. Too. Salomon Rushdie is amazing, especially if your stoned on something.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2011, 07:37 AM   #38
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
whats funny is the way the people went about it in a rather mundane, routine and farcical manner when if the story went exactly as it was written, it would be unimaginably even demonically horrifying. Of course what is happening is so surreal it is absurd, and that is why it can remain funny, but it is indeed a chilling blend of fear and laughter, but what in life isn't? People still kept their sense of humor in the Concentration Camps, surely we can laugh with Kafka at the Metamorphasis, and then afterward delve into the deeper, more serious meanings, motifs and symbolism used to tell a deeper story that may be a bit less funny.

you provide a clear picture.

must spread rep.
Old 02.03.2011, 11:15 AM   #39
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
currently reading Executioners Song (about Gary Gilmore) by Norman Mailer, about 50% interesting, those Mormons is some weird people, for damnsure. It's especially interesting to read after having recently watched the Cremaster containing the Mormon/Gilmore stuff. Keep flashing to the bees and the riders. The Cremaster is HIGHLY recommended, if you haven't seen this one......
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2011, 09:03 PM   #40
thindarkduke13
bad moon rising

thindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's asses
A couple months ago I read two big motherfuckers back to back: Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow and William Gaddis's The Recognitions. Both I highly recommend. Set aside some time and let them bowl you over.
Find the last poor Preterite one . . .
Till the Riders sleep by ev'ry road,
All through our crippl'd Zone,
With a face in ev'ry Mountainside
And a Soul in ev'ry stone

Now Everybody -
thindarkduke13 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth