Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A Thousand Leaves.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2006, 01:00 PM   #1
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
After listening to this CD non-stop for two days I cant help but to mention it's beauty. I find this to be one of their most artistic albums in sound and in art. Mentioning Allen Ginsberg is great as well. (The Howl....) At first this record seemed slow but I later found it just has really heavy undercurrents but also explode into heaviness in the songs Ineffable Me French Tickler and Sunday. Contre Le Sexisme is wonderful to me becuz I love SYR5 so much. Heather Angel, Hoarfrost.................The whole damn album is magnificent. This record and NYC Ghosts and Flowers are linked in very many ways. Who else totally loves this album?

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:05 PM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i really love Hoarfrost and Karen Koltrain. i played this album to my dad and he really love it, it was hard for him to admit as he hates sonic youth and thinks they are just all noise and feedback, but when he heard it he said "mmmm this is quite melodic".
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Their second best album since 1990 (the best is NYC Ghosts & Flowers), in my opinion - and I love them all... It's a fantastic album, and I love the "preparation" made by SYR 1 & 2

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:08 PM   #4
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't have it, but I downloaded Karen and Hoarfrost and love them. I don't know why I've never gotten it...
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
in my opinion it was their best album since DDN before nurse came out.
Old 08.05.2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Go buy it right now.

EDIT: I was talking to acousticrock87

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:21 PM   #7
dark heat
empty page

dark heat ain't too shabby
Arguably their best 90's album, incredible stuff. the double whammy of Hits Of Sunshine and Karen Koltrane is fucking great. really hard to pick out highlights, because it works so well as a whole.
Old 08.05.2006, 01:57 PM   #8
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
After listening to this CD non-stop for two days I cant help but to mention it's beauty. I find this to be one of their most artistic albums in sound and in art. Mentioning Allen Ginsberg is great as well. (The Howl....) At first this record seemed slow but I later found it just has really heavy undercurrents but also explode into heaviness in the songs Ineffable Me French Tickler and Sunday. Contre Le Sexisme is wonderful to me becuz I love SYR5 so much. Heather Angel, Hoarfrost.................The whole damn album is magnificent. This record and NYC Ghosts and Flowers are linked in very many ways. Who else totally loves this album?

Its my favorite Sonic Youth record hands down.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:58 PM   #9
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I thnk it could've been easily one of the top 3 albums if it weren't for Kim's songs and a rather raw production. The beginning of French tickler is one of the most beautiful openings all songs considered, but when Kim starts ranting it ruins what could've become a classic. The same goes for the innefable me, her vocals are just too much for me, espacially the end of the song I still can't figure out. I like Heather angel though. Hits of sunshine starts off nicely but doesn't seem to be going anywhere afterwards.
That being said it stands out as their most inspired album in the 50's.
I wish they'd re-recorded later with better production.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 02:27 PM   #10
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Wildflower Soul is on it. That alone makes it great.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 02:32 PM   #11
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
I thnk it could've been easily one of the top 3 albums if it weren't for Kim's songs and a rather raw production. The beginning of French tickler is one of the most beautiful openings all songs considered, but when Kim starts ranting it ruins what could've become a classic. The same goes for the innefable me, her vocals are just too much for me, espacially the end of the song I still can't figure out. I like Heather angel though. Hits of sunshine starts off nicely but doesn't seem to be going anywhere afterwards.

That's a shame. I love KIm on this album and all albums for that matter.I can see where you're coming from though when you talk about French Tickler.

Old 08.05.2006, 02:52 PM   #12
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
amazing album.
highlights for me:

wildflower soul
hoarfrost
heather angel
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 02:55 PM   #13
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa
amazing album.
highlights for me:

wildflower soul
hoarfrost
heather angel

Thurston, Lee & Kim..............you covered them all. Nice faves.

Old 08.05.2006, 08:24 PM   #14
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
I agree 100% about Kim's songs. I do like the production on the album though. My only major gripe with their last 3 albums is that they are all over-produced. I also think they have been using too many effects.

Quote:
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 08:30 PM   #15
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

what is the problem with the production on this album. it suits the songs perfectly. there are no ugly frequencies that jump out, it is all at a good level. the guitars, bass, drums, vocals sound fantastic. hits of sunshine is one of the best SY tracks ever, and the lee tracks are fucking awesome on this album. kim's vox also kick ass on 1k leaves.........
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 09:31 PM   #16
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
I don't know if any of you hear a Donovan influence in 'Hit's of Sunshine' ....

It has that flowery 60s soft psychedelic sound....and the voice...wow....I love it....very mellow and trippy...

This is a beautiful cd....

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 09:41 PM   #17
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand the hate critics have for Kim Gordon. Is it because she threatens their masculinity and/or pre-conceived, slave-indoctrinated faux, femininity? Do they have a problem because she is obviously a strong, brave, creative, talented, intelligent woman? I guess I'll never know. A Thousand Leaves would not be the same record without Kim Gordon's backbone infused throughout its sublime beauty. Contre Le Sexisme is noise with beauty shining through it like gossamer.
Old 08.05.2006, 11:35 PM   #18
dark heat
empty page

dark heat ain't too shabby
Actually, the only time I've liked Kim's vocals more than on A Thousand Leaves is on 'I Love You Golden Blue'
Old 08.05.2006, 11:44 PM   #19
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
I don't understand the hate critics have for Kim Gordon. Is it because she threatens their masculinity and/or pre-conceived, slave-indoctrinated faux, femininity? Do they have a problem because she is obviously a strong, brave, creative, talented, intelligent woman? I guess I'll never know. A Thousand Leaves would not be the same record without Kim Gordon's backbone infused throughout its sublime beauty. Contre Le Sexisme is noise with beauty shining through it like gossamer.

Totally. Contre Le Sexiskim.

Old 08.06.2006, 01:49 AM   #20
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa

Eh, its probably half and half. She does something harsh and beautiful and some people find that abrasive and just plain don't dig it. With that half, its probably purely textural. The other half are probably put off by the things you said and don't give the texture enough time to stew and realize there's at least merit, and more.

I, on the other hand, dig it.

That's my hippy response and I'm sticking to it.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth