Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Nadsat
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.18.2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Anthony Burgess was right.

I've just copied and pasted this from some crap facebook group so any misspellings and grammatical errors aren't mine.

London Slang:

WHIP - a mode/form of transport

SICK - a positive expresion which could highlight a desirable event

BRE/BRUV - a brother of the race you belong to

MAN DEM - the male homosapian

ON ROAD - varied translations e.g. sickest bre on road. meaning sickest guy around

LOCK DOWN - an event/person/thing which is considered to be under control/in good hands

BUTTERS - ugly

BUFF - good looking

TONK - Muscular/ fat people

OHHH SHITT - expression showing concurence/happyness/sadness or any other expression desired by the user.

HIT THAT - To do something

BRAPPPP - an expression showing great excitment/ mimiking the actions of the gun community

BARE - alot

THE GAME - everyday life/sport/womenising/anything e.g. your a serious guy in the game....but what is the game....bruv i am the game

BANGING - sick/good or a descpriction an attractive girl

5-0 - the police

YOU KNOW THAT - when an observation has been made and agreed upon.

GIRL DEM - a desired women

BABYLONS/RACK - two features of the female upper body located in the chest region. in context.....check dem babs

TO FEEL IT - to want to do something/ to desire someone....in context..shit, u feel that girl dem.

GAS/RAPS - extremely fast e.g dave is fucking raps, he's a gas man.

YOU BEST RECOGNISE - you better understand what i am saying.

SERIOUS CAT - man on his chirps game; a great white in the sharking game.

CHIRPS - to chat up or flirt with a desired individual.

POTENT/AGG - a descriptive word showing a strong positive feeling/fact. in context........that is absolutely potent/agg.

GASH - a female genital area

SHANK - to knife someone

BANG HIM OUT - to knock someone out

EASY - a common greeting in everyday life in london. in context.....easyyyyy now

WOOD - the male genital sex organ

SPARK - to punch some one

TAP THAT - To have sexual relations with the opposite sex.

BRUCK UP - objects being destroyed. in context.....that shit got bruck up

SKET - undesirable member of the female gender/often diseased and a carrier of viruses

CHI CHI MAN - a homosexual

CLOCKED - to have observed and/or taken note of something

PIECE - male genitalia

SKEEN/SEEN - when an observation has been understood.

LATER - a remark made after seeing something extraordinary

DOUG or DOUGGY - to imply that something is shit or a person is a looser eg, 'that breh was so doug'

CREASE - to find something amusing/to laugh

MERKED - when someone or something is destroyed. In context.......Shit that bre got merked..OR, in sexual context...That girl got merked.

MILITANT - meaning stern, difficult or hard

BATTY - word of a descriptive nature, often used in relation to someone with homosexual tendencies. In context....batty bre...OR, can be used to describe a females' rear end.

COTCH - to relax

YARD - a place of residence

BLUD - a gangster london term for mate

RINSED - an over use of a particular activity/to be mimicked to an extreme level

HOODRAT - a commonly used phrase for a male/female who roam the streets often sporting reebock workouts, hoodies and burberry caps.

BOYD - when someone has been verabally or physically defeated, either through an insult or violent behaviour.

BIG - an emphatic statement of positive approval

ARMS - to possess the power overide any desired individual

WASTEMAN - an all around loser,a sad character, a bad egg, a failure, a burden on society

TOOLED UP - carrying weapons capable of destruction

WASTEGASH - female version of wasteman

CHAPPING - Cold.Often preceeded by "bare"or "pierre"

SHOOK - scared or nervous. e.g "Man got shook" or "Girl got shook"

SECKLE-wait a second

BAIT - when something is obvious

SAFE - either a greeting (e.g. safe blud) or meaning something or someone's positive/ good (e.g. he's bare safe)

LONG - To be complex, time consuming or arduous in nature

MERKALISATION - the process of being destroyed
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
They've missed:

Nang - good

Allow - pretty much means don't allow, reject etc.
Old 05.18.2009, 09:48 AM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
What is this?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Lurker
invito al cielo

Oh sorry, it's London slang. I'll edit my post.
Old 05.18.2009, 09:50 AM   #5
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, ok. It looked like rapper slang, but there were a few things in there I've never heard before (and I am a guy who is up on his rapper slang... um, dawg).
Old 05.18.2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Lurker
invito al cielo

Yeah well it's influenced by that kind of stuff.

Nadsat is the slang/language they use in 'A Clockwork Orange'.
Old 05.18.2009, 09:52 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Ah, ok. It looked like rapper slang

that's because some of it is (along with obvious jamaican influence).

5-0 + london slang = lolz
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 10:08 AM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't see what it has to do with Nadsat other than that they're both types of slang.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2009, 10:09 AM   #9
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Well I apolly-olly-ollogize.
Old 05.18.2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't see what it has to do with Nadsat other than that they're both types of slang.

A youth gang culture with its own style of dress and its complex slang/patois/etc partially drawn from other nations/languages (as with Russian etc in nadsat). I think this is pretty much what Anthony Burgess predicted which had not really existed in this way before.
Old 05.18.2009, 10:23 AM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
fair point
Old 05.18.2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Lurker
invito al cielo

I think it is its cultural strength or how defined it is that characterises it which is how it is similar to nadsat and the youth culture dexcribed in 'A Clockwork Orange'.
Old 05.18.2009, 10:38 AM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

To be fair, the beatniks were a youth cult that had their own slang that predated the writing of A Clockwork Orange. So it didn't so much anticipate as reflect their emergence. the beatniks weren't a criminal subculture though, however lots of criminal gangs used slang terms before A Clockwork Orange. Cockney rhyming slang came out of just that world and lots of words used by Spivs did too. They were codes used to confuse the police and 'outsiders' so they wouldn't know what was actually being said.
Old 05.18.2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Lurker
invito al cielo

Yeah you're right but I still feel that what's going on now is really what Anthony Burgess was writing about. I still think it's different to the examples you give. For example the characters on 'A Clockwork Orange' and the people withing the kind of culture I'm talking about that is around now don't speak like that to confuse people I don't think. The slang is more developed; what they are speaking is further removed from how the most people would speak than those other similar examples. And I think that though it isn't so specifically used to confuse outsiders it is used to separate themselves from adults or other people so in a way it is used to confuse these people but just to separate themselves from them, not for any specific criminal aim. It shows a kind of alienation or disclocation from the majority or socety that these youths in 'Clockwork' and today seem to experiencing.
Old 05.18.2009, 11:01 AM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I think you're right in that Nadsat semed to have no motivation other than as a separate language. In that sense though it's not really any different from hipster speak, developed by the beats.

On a far more important note though, i saw Sarah Harding walk down my street the other day.
Old 05.18.2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Lurker
invito al cielo

Close but no cigar! That's brilliant though and makes it more likely Nicola will be around. Did you stop her and have a chat about Nicola's future solo career?
Old 05.18.2009, 11:06 AM   #17
Lurker
invito al cielo

Nice breasts

Old 05.18.2009, 11:08 AM   #18
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think you're right in that Nadsat semed to have no motivation other than as a separate language. In that sense though it's not really any different from hipster speak, developed by the beats.

Maybe what really defines it (if I'm right) is how extreme it is in its separation from everyday language and therefore people.
Old 05.18.2009, 11:16 AM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I've seen Cheryl Cole a couple of times too. I think Ashley has a place near me, so the chance of seeing Roberts is quite high.

I have to admit that Harding looked really nice.
Old 05.18.2009, 11:19 AM   #20
Lurker
invito al cielo

Wow yeah you're getting really close. If you see her you have to take a picture and post it on here.

Harding is gorgeous really, I just think she looks a bit common.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth