Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Sharks vs. Tornados!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2008, 11:46 AM   #1
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I had a heated discussion last night regarding who/what deserves the title "The Year of the....". (ie The Year of the Shark vs. The Year of the Tornado).

both sharks and tornados are having awesome years.

at first we tried to decide who would win in a caged death-match, but barring "a shark the size of godzilla" and "a tornado with big punchy arms", it was decided that once placed in the cage, the shark would die from not being able to swim and the tornado would disappear once cut-off from it's cloud.

sooooo....

it was decided, that on December 31st, we will take shark / tornado deaths from 2007 and compare them to deaths in 2008. the one with the biggest increase gets the year.

I'm rooting for tornados, because as far as I'm concerned, it's totally the Year of the Tornado.

[note: any hard data that you can find for me regarding deaths in 2007 caused by either sharks or tornados would be helpful].

with a little luck, soon I will be able to proove that:

2008: The Year of the Tornado
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 11:56 AM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
As it sounds like you are already aware, the number of tornadoes is up this year to roughly double that occurring by this time last year.

And please, refrain from heated discussions. Mother Earth is already getting hot enough!
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 12:03 PM   #3
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I had a heated discussion last night regarding who/what deserves the title "The Year of the....". (ie The Year of the Shark vs. The Year of the Tornado).

at first we tried to decide who would win in a caged death-match, but barring "a shark the size of godzilla" and "a tornado with big punchy arms", it was decided that once placed in the cage, the shark would die from not being able to swim and the tornado would disappear once cut-off from it's cloud.

sooooo....

it was decided, that on December 31st, we will take shark / tornado deaths from 2007 and compare them to deaths in 2008. the one with the biggest increase gets the year.

I'm rooting for tornados, because as far as I'm concerned, it's totally the Year of the Tornado.

[note: any hard data that you can find for me regarding deaths in 2007 caused by either sharks or tornados would be helpful].

This reminded me of that sketch on the Armando Iannucci Show where a director is constantly arguing with a tornato that he gave a part to in one of his movies. The tornado is constantly acting like a bitch and a total diva, throwing tantrums and, erm, storming out of the set.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 12:36 PM   #4
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
This reminded me of that sketch on the Armando Iannucci Show where a director is constantly arguing with a tornato that he gave a part to in one of his movies. The tornado is constantly acting like a bitch and a total diva, throwing tantrums and, erm, storming out of the set.

...and that reminded me of this (in a way)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p_d8Z2kaTU
Old 05.14.2008, 01:07 PM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
As it sounds like you are already aware, the number of tornadoes is up this year to roughly double that occurring by this time last year.

it's been a crazy year for tornados. I've had several come within a few miles of the house. last week I even left the house because of the baseball size hail it was bringing with it (I got some nice pictures though).

further proof that tornados will win: tornados bring baseball size hail with them, while sharks bring what? pilot fish?? pfft.

but in all fairness, sharks are the only thing in nature voracious enough to even compete with tornados. however, I still think that ultimately tornados are going to win the year.
Old 05.14.2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I want the year of Mexican Lust!

Old 05.14.2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just glad that this thread isn't about sports.

And the honeybadger is scarier than either.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 01:24 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

OH, FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

sharks: x4

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen....climatechange

Quote:
In the first four months of this year, there were four fatal shark attacks worldwide, compared with one in the whole of 2007, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.

TORNADOS: X2

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...62&postcount=2

Quote:
number of tornadoes is up this year to roughly double that occurring by this time last year.

my friend is already doing a victory dance.

Old 05.14.2008, 03:02 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

It's Sharkey's Day today.
Old 05.14.2008, 03:11 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

sooooo....

shit sounds like a minor league hockey game...

vs

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 03:16 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
I say death by dog. Way more likely then death by shark. For the record, I have reoccuring nightmares of being stuck and terrified in tornado(s). They scare the shit out of me. And I live in Cali.

aside from the 25 deaths, there are nearly FOUR MILLION DOG BITES in america every year. and people are fucking scared the bush in Africa! jesus!

even in Africa, dog bites are the most common injury from animals

Dog bite in Northern Africa (Extrapolated Statistics) Egypt 279,843 WARNING! (Details) 76,117,4212 Libya 20,704 WARNING! (Details) 5,631,5852 Sudan 143,927 WARNING! (Details) 39,148,1622 Dog bite in Western Africa (Extrapolated Statistics) Congo Brazzaville 11,022 WARNING! (Details) 2,998,0402 Ghana 76,312 WARNING! (Details) 20,757,0322 Liberia 12,465 WARNING! (Details) 3,390,6352 Niger 41,766 WARNING! (Details) 11,360,5382 Nigeria 65,258 WARNING! (Details) 12,5750,3562 Senegal 39,897 WARNING! (Details) 10,852,1472 Sierra leone 21,631 WARNING! (Details) 5,883,8892 Dog bite in Central Africa (Extrapolated Statistics) Central African Republic 13,759 WARNING! (Details) 3,742,4822 Chad 35,068 WARNING! (Details) 9,538,5442 Congo kinshasa 214,400 WARNING! (Details) 58,317,0302 Rwanda 30,289 WARNING! (Details) 8,238,6732 Dog bite in Eastern Africa (Extrapolated Statistics) Ethiopia 262,266 WARNING! (Details) 71,336,5712 Kenya 121,257 WARNING! (Details) 32,982,1092 Somalia 30,531 WARNING! (Details) 8,304,6012 Tanzania 132,613 WARNING! (Details) 36,070,7992 Uganda 97,023 WARNING! (Details) 26,390,2582 Dog bite in Southern Africa (Extrapolated Statistics) Angola 40,362 WARNING! (Details) 10,978,5522 Botswana 6,026 WARNING! (Details) 1,639,2312 South Africa 163,413 WARNING! (Details) 44,448,4702 Swaziland 4,298 WARNING! (Details) 1,169,2412 Zambia 40,535 WARNING! (Details) 11,025,6902 Zimbabwe

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
there's no contest, tornados can cause more damage, they go to the place and wreck it.

sharks, on the other hand, you have to go to their nice little jaws and get chewed by them, and only have the mouth for one human at a time.

Quote:
...and that reminded me of this (in a way)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p_d8Z2kaTU

it reminded me of something similar: mike ditka vs hurrican ditka as debated by bill swerski's superfans.

Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
if you are religious (soprry if you are) then shark are just animals who are doing what they do, and should not be judged or punished for it. why punish a bee for stinging you?

on the other hand, if you are religious, then tornadoes are god wiping out people, god running his melevolent finger accross the face of the earth like humans run a stick through ant piles, causing carnage and destruction and seemingly mindless devsatation, senseless killing.

at least sharks kill for a reason

tornadoes are just assholes.

Old 05.14.2008, 04:01 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
there's no contest, tornados can cause more damage, they go to the place and wreck it.

sharks, on the other hand, you have to go to their nice little jaws and get chewed by them, and only have the mouth for one human at a time.

I know! tornados do much more damage.

I was sure that the battle was won once it was down to a cage match, but I was forced to concede for percentage growth once it came down to "well, the shark can avoid the tornado by swimming really deep", to which I replied: "there's no fucking water in the death-match cage!!" (which also promptly "killed" my tornado). so, when deciding who's year it was going to be (there can be only one), it had to be based solely on overall increase.

KEGMAMA: you and me both. I may live in OK, but I'm a Californian at heart. I hate this fucking state sometimes.

here's a pic I took last week. my house is roughly between me, the forming tornado and it's entourage of baseball-sized hail.

fuck that shit.

Old 05.14.2008, 04:07 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
hey flotz:

if it's indeed a battle and the shark swims away, the tornado can touch water and, summoning a hot front, then can supersize into a hurricane and, well, the shark gets fucked.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 04:18 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

nah, if it supersizes it's no longer a tornado and everybody knows that hurricanes already had their year when Katrina hit.

tornados spawned from huricanes count though, so let's hope that this season there's some big ones!!! tornados HAVE to win this.

sharks already get Shark Week on discovery. why do they have to have the whole year too??

plus, I think that sharks really cheesed this one. I mean, come on, a godzilla sized shark?? that's really grasping for straws imo.
Old 05.15.2008, 11:52 AM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Well, don't forget that you can always go out there for a jo.
Old 05.15.2008, 12:38 PM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

MWM LF SWF 2 JO ME LIKE HELEN HUNT.

sharks != jo's.
Old 05.23.2008, 03:05 AM   #19
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I love tornadoes in Texas.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 11:31 AM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
You BASTARD! Guess what the hell is happening about 25 miles away?!

Fucking tornados! In So Cal! Im freaking out...

http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=20...eno_valley.htm

consider yrself lucky it wasn't a shark! also 25 miles in LA is like 4 hours away!

there was a mile-wide 'nado northwest of here last night....THAT's scarier than any shark imo.

PS: duck 'n cover.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth