Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Austin Show Setlist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2006, 11:36 PM   #1
wolfattack
empty page

wolfattack has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The SY show tonight was so amazing. I got there early in hopes of hearing some of the soundcheck and they played Mote in its entirety and it sounded great. Steve came out and I said the Mote sound check sounded amazing, and he told me thanks, but that they were not going to play it tonight, and that in the next few days they were going to start playing it. Right before the third song, Thurston said "This is from a record called EVOL" but then he corrected himself and said "This is from Sister" I think he said Sister, but I am not all the way sure, and I can't figure out what song it was.

EDIT: The song is Catholic Block

Setlist

Incinerate
Reena
Catholic Block
Jams Run Free
Sleepin Around
Do You Believe in Rapture
What a Waste
100%
Rats
The Neutral
Pink Steam
Or
-------
Turquoise Boy
Schizophrenia
Lights Out
-------
Eric's Trip
Shaking Hell
wolfattack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds awsome. I hope they play Mote when I see them...Who sang the ??? song?
Old 06.23.2006, 11:46 PM   #3
wolfattack
empty page

Thurston sang the song i can't yet figure out.
I have to tell you, I did not mind one bit that they played the whole new album instead of old songs, they fucking rocked hard, and the audience got so into it, and screamed and clapped soo loud after every song. Thurston kept getting the audience to scream as loud as they could and he said "I like screamers" then he held his mic stand and put the mic down into the crowd and everyone yelled and screamed for 30 seconds or so. And right before Eric's Trip, Lee yelled "Let me hear you screammm!!!" and he laughed while everyone screamed really loud. All I can say was it was a highlight of my life so far.
Old 06.23.2006, 11:48 PM   #4
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Well they haven't played any sister songs other than Schizo but you have that listed already.

Catholic Block
Stero Sanctity
Tuff Gnarl
White Cross
Master-Dik

these are the only other ones, not including hot wire my heart, and if it was indeed sister...
Old 06.23.2006, 11:55 PM   #5
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
throw us some lyrics -- or describe the structure of the song. maybe we can help.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:56 PM   #6
wolfattack
empty page

Well, I feel like a total idiot for not knowing what song it was. I just have not listened to Sister in a while, but I just re listened to Sister right now, and I almost positive that it was Stereo Sanctity. Hopefully someone else that came to the show can confirm it was Stereo Sanctity, and if I am wrong now, then I will really feel like an idiot.
Old 06.24.2006, 12:07 AM   #7
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfattack
Well, I feel like a total idiot for not knowing what song it was. I just have not listened to Sister in a while, but I just re listened to Sister right now, and I almost positive that it was Stereo Sanctity. Hopefully someone else that came to the show can confirm it was Stereo Sanctity, and if I am wrong now, then I will really feel like an idiot.

If they did, in fact, play Stereo Sanctity, I will be very pleased.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:15 AM   #8
wolfattack
empty page

It was a very good show, and everyone should be so damn excited for when they come to your town. Oh yeah, when I walked up to talk to Steve before the show, someone was in the middle of requesting a song for them to play and Steve said "Oooh, you know, thats a pretty old one, it has been so long since we have played a lot of those songs, we don't really remember them that well" and the guy said "Does it have anything to do with Mark not knowing the songs?" and Steve said "No, not really at all, we just have not played or practiced those old songs in a long time". Those might not be the exact words he said, but very close to it.
Old 06.24.2006, 12:17 AM   #9
wolfattack
empty page

It was not Cotton Crown. The song they played was a good bit faster.
Old 06.24.2006, 12:22 AM   #10
createsounds
little trouble girl

createsounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcreatesounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcreatesounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
maybe catholic block ... its been in setlist not so didstant past
createsounds is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:25 AM   #11
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
White Kross?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:31 AM   #12
wolfattack
empty page

For some reason I feel like knowone else from the Austin show goes on this forum... and i wish someone did who could help me out on this song. There were a gazillion people there too, hopefully someone will get on here who went. Its either Catholic Block or Stereo Sanctity.
Old 06.24.2006, 12:35 AM   #13
jamiefriggin
empty page

jamiefriggin has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfattack
For some reason I feel like knowone else from the Austin show goes on this forum... and i wish someone did who could help me out on this song. There were a gazillion people there too, hopefully someone will get on here who went. Its either Catholic Block or Stereo Sanctity.

The third song was absolutely Catholic Block. Promise. I have it recorded.

Was it just me and and the multiple places I was standing or was that the WORST show, crowd-wise, not performance-wise, ever? I was constantly surrounded by douchebags!
jamiefriggin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:40 AM   #14
wolfattack
empty page

Yeaa!!!! thank you Jamie. There were some douchebags, but not a ton. Right before they played Shaking Hell, this guy behind me yelled "Teen Age Riot" and I just turned around and laughed. But at least the crowd didnt mosh, and I think that the band enjoyed the crowd for the most part, dont you think jamie? I mean, Thurston seemed to be having a really good time. What area were you standing jamie? Also, you need to hook us up with the recording!!!
Old 06.24.2006, 01:13 AM   #15
jamiefriggin
empty page

jamiefriggin has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I think we stood behind your Teen Age Riot guy at one point, but after he said that song was from their first album, we had to move. That was back by the sound board. Didn't have much better luck by the tree back and to the right of the stage. Some guy complained about how encores suck and how he just wanted to go home already. It was a weird crowd.

The recording is from our digital camera, set in Movie mode the whole concert. So far it sounds pretty muffled. We're running it through some software to see if we can make it any better. Will let you know if we get something workable. Maybe we'll have better luck tomorrow night in Dallas. Woohoo! Texas SY Tour 2006!
jamiefriggin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 01:38 AM   #16
Chaffie
empty page

Chaffie is a jewel in the roughChaffie is a jewel in the roughChaffie is a jewel in the rough
Wow. That set is awesome.

Chaffie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 02:23 AM   #17
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
These texas shows are killing me, houston and tonights have such great setlists.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 05:19 AM   #18
Dustin81783
empty page

Dustin81783 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hi guys and girls, I don't post here much, but I just wanted to come say hi and that I had a great time. It was my first Sonic Youth show, and I had such a blast!

I was center stage, about 15 feet back. When I first entered, I was maybe 2-3 people from the front, but as the show wore on, I kept getting pushed back further and further. And so goes the life of the concert ways...

It was a great show and Thurston did have a good time, it seemed. Before they played, Thurston walked through the crowed into a building, and a kid ran up really fast and shook his hand. He was all psyched about that hah. For the most part, the crowd was ok. On the left side of the stage, there was a little bit of moshing, nothing too bad. I wasn't in the mood for it at all though, and pushed some people back pretty hard.

I kinda laughed when someone yelled, "Play Smells Like Teen Spirit!"

I'm really glad they played Schizophrenia, as it's always been one of my favorite SY songs since I got into them. Same with 100%. The set list was awesome, and I would type more, but damn, I'm tired.
Dustin81783 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 11:21 AM   #19
ozZuB-ginK
little trouble girl

ozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to behold
i was at the show last night, the song was catholic block as you guys already figured out. It was great indeed. I was right in the front against the railing, i'll have pictures later, but i have to run to work right now!!
Old 06.24.2006, 11:55 AM   #20
Forensic Scene
bad moon rising

Forensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's assesForensic Scene kicks all y'all's asses
was the song PCH?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth