Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Psychic Hearts review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.03.2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/displa.../443096989e9f0

By ANDREW 0'REILLY
Staff Writer
April 03, 2006

Psychic Hearts (Reissue)
Thurston Moore
Geffen Records
Rocks Like: Sonic Youth Pavement, Minutemen

With a new Sonic Youth album in the works, the heads at Geffen Records thought it a good idea to re-release some of the band’s past catalogue. The medley of old gems includes some of the band’s solo efforts, such as the guitarist/vocalist Thurston Moore’s 1995 debut, Psychic Hearts.
While it is apparent that Moore did not stray far from his work in Sonic Youth, Psychic Hearts shows a more poppy and linear side of Moore’s writing which contrasts with his noise fascination in Sonic Youth. Almost all of the songs build around a solid guitar line — normally distorted and grungy — and Moore’s out-there, obscure-but-melodic lyrics.
It’s no wonder after listening to Psychic Hearts that many regard Moore as one of the fathers of alternative rock and grunge as well as a direct influence on bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden.
Moore chomps through riff after riff with a distorted Stratocaster that is both uniquely different from anything else while simultaneously maintaining a fantastic pop sensibility. On “Ono Soul” (a tribute to Yoko?), Moore uses feedback as a background on top of which he layers a tight electric guitar line and acoustic guitar, all conspiring to create a dense atmosphere that pairs perfectly with Moore’s bizarre and occasionally repetitive lyrics.
Which brings up yet another thing about this album that seems to be a contradiction in terms: Repetitive lyrics normally come off as boring and make the artist seem amateur or uncreative, but Moore’s talent for creating such odd yet telling lyrics paired with his tonal range —from a slight whisper to a throaty baritone — makes even the most repetitive statements poetic.
He also has a knack for telling a great teenage angst story. On the title track, “Psychic Hearts,” he sings about a girl dealing with an unbearably sad situation. Granted, printing massive streams of profanity would culminate in little more than a line of asterisks, so it’s best to just buy the album and follow her story yourself.
Moore’s lyrics and catchy guitar hooks don’t hold the album up by themselves; he stands as a talented composer who can lace phrases and ideas together in such a way that seemingly different elements actually mesh well together.
The final track on the album, “Elegy For All The Dead Rock Stars,” is a great example of this. The 19-minute instrumental incorporates the whole spectrum of Moore’s musicianship and writing. At points, the song feels subdued and calm, but the track later breaks into a collision of noise and distortion.
The effect sounds like it could be right off a Sonic Youth album or Hendrix at Woodstock before settling back down into a nice groove to finish. In other words, it’s like good sex — it lasts just long enough so no one complains, starting slow and then building up to a feverish pitch before finally calming down.
Other than “Elegy For All The Dead Rock Stars,” most tracks on the album clock in around three minutes. But Moore packs more into those three minutes than most artists can into a whole album. Thanks to the songs’ short lengths and the variation on the tracks, it’s pretty hard to get bored listening to Psychic Hearts. Psychic Hearts is a perfect combination of Sonic Youth’s experimentalism with Moore’s talent for writing oddball but socially conscience lyrics and damn good guitar hooks. Moore pushes the limits on this album, but still keeps the songs parallel and on a direct course. It was a smart idea for Geffen to re-release this album — now if only they could figure out what to do with Ashlee Simpson.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 03:06 AM   #2
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
is it a good quality? or is it VHS rip?

edit: haha, what did i think i was replying to?
Old 04.03.2006, 10:58 AM   #3
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Nice, nice. I've never read a review of Psychic Hearts that gave it the recognition it was really due. I find a lot of them have been like "Oh, that silly Thurston Moore..." which I find odd because the record, while a little repetitive, is really really solid.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Lone Flanger
little trouble girl

Lone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's assesLone Flanger kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it's such a basic, straight-forward sound.
Lone Flanger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 12:09 PM   #5
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I think it helps bridge the gap between Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star and Washing Machine.
Old 04.03.2006, 01:02 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I love it.
Old 01.17.2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Tmangia
empty page

Tmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard sucka
Does the 2006 reissue features bonus tracks on the cd? Also, does it have any sound improvement over the 1995 release?

thanks!

Tmangia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 02:01 AM   #8
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
this album rules. so much.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 02:55 AM   #9
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer Trees Outside the Academy....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 03:09 AM   #10
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
this album is like...nearly everything i dislike about thurston rolled up into one package.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
that's a fucking terrible review!

and i still love this album.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Tmangia
empty page

Tmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard suckaTmangia cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Ok, thanks. But is there any sound improvement over the 1995 release?

Old 01.18.2010, 02:04 AM   #13
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
may just be curious if there's any reason to buy it or if it's the same product as the original release.

i'm willing to bet that most 'remastering' done circa 2006 is only going to harm the sound of an album that sounded pretty good for 1995... no?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01.18.2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
love this album. great album.

love steve's drumming on it toooo
Old 01.18.2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and yes I got it on colored vinyl
Old 01.18.2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Tmangia
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Well, the 2006 reissue is a remastered version of the album, as clearly stated at the Mustang site i posted a link to, so i think it's fair to affirm there is actually a sound-improvement of some sort, at least from a technical point of view...

Why the question, if i may ask? Does the original release of "Psychic Hearts" sound bad to you, or something?

Well, I'm thinking about buying it, so that's the question. I'd like to know if it worths the remastered title...

Another question: is the 2006 reissue LOUDER than the 1995?

thanks!

Old 01.19.2010, 02:04 AM   #17
Chris Lawrence

probably, isn't that what 'remastered' means these days?

to be fair, i haven't heard it.. actually i have both the 1995 and 2006 vinyl, i should do a side-by-side... 2006 vinyl is essential for side 4, of course...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth