Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Question for filmmakers
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2010, 04:38 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
My band is going to shoot our latest (not really our first) music video soon, and we have only one digital video camera and no real budget to speak of. I was thinking of trying something with a blue-screen effect, but the way we did those in my TV class in high school needed two cameras. Is it possible to just use one camera, and shoot seperate footage and just add it in later in editing (we have some basic editing software)? Or does anyone have any suggestions about doing something else?
Old 04.30.2010, 04:48 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
My band is going to shoot our latest (not really our first) music video soon, and we have only one digital video camera and no real budget to speak of. I was thinking of trying something with a blue-screen effect, but the way we did those in my TV class in high school needed two cameras. Is it possible to just use one camera, and shoot seperate footage and just add it in later in editing (we have some basic editing software)? Or does anyone have any suggestions about doing something else?

the word is "sepArate"

anyway, i'd like to help but i don't understand what you're asking.

does your video have a script? why the need for a green screen? (when it's done poorly it looks like shit).

by the way, i really like this video: it's simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNpKjmNaJpQ

the last couple of seconds are quite revealing

still, you probably don't have the budget to lay tracks for a dolly.

but you could shoot something like this w/ a single camera (i know the people who shot it-- on super 16):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlX7K8DZLOk

of course, you need a hot girl to make it work.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2010, 04:55 PM   #3
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
depends on the style you are aiming for.
if you like it to look kind of trashy like animated pictures in a stop-motion collage style I would go for masks instead of key out a green screen and inserting a different background...
I agree if it isnt done properly it looks totally uncharming and shit-like!!!
after effects is pretty powerful and highly recommended if you wanna do it (both versions)

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2010, 05:02 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
you could also use flash. i'm fucking with it and it's funnnnnnn...
Old 04.30.2010, 05:13 PM   #5
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
never touched flash that much except for half a year of actionscript noodling, was fun too, but I almost forget any of it.

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2010, 05:57 PM   #6
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
!@#$%!: We don't have a script or even a concrete idea of what we're going to do yet. I don't know what we'd use the chroma keying for; at this point I'm just messing around with whatever I can. That Sleater-Kinney video you showed is a pretty good idea of what we can achieve, but I'm not sure if it'll fit the song we want to do a video for...

shabbray 2.0: What do you mean by using "masks"? I have been messing around with animation, but the video camera doesn't seem to be able to capture still images. I have a regular digital camera, but no tripod. I should probably look into that...

Both of you: The song we're planning to do a a video for can be heard at the link in my sig, if you want to check it out...it's called "Run".
Old 04.30.2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
What editing program do you use? I suggest you switch over to Sony Vegas. It makes green-screen a breeze, using the same process that shabbray is referring to.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2010, 06:18 PM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
!@#$%!: We don't have a script or even a concrete idea of what we're going to do yet. I don't know what we'd use the chroma keying for; at this point I'm just messing around with whatever I can. That Sleater-Kinney video you showed is a pretty good idea of what we can achieve, but I'm not sure if it'll fit the song we want to do a video for...

shabbray 2.0: What do you mean by using "masks"? I have been messing around with animation, but the video camera doesn't seem to be able to capture still images. I have a regular digital camera, but no tripod. I should probably look into that...

Both of you: The song we're planning to do a a video for can be heard at the link in my sig, if you what to check it out...it's called "Run".

i like the song-- if i was going to make a video maybe i'd get a shoot of your band playing and solarize the fuck out of it and add various degreees motion blur/trailing for "psychedelic" effect-- i mean just a quick idea, and you won't need after effects, you can do it with avid and i suppose fcp too.

invert + solarize:

motion blur:

actually, see more effects here:

http://www.borisfx.com/avid/bccavx/color_blurs.php

and fuck chroma keying-- it's gimmicky, and mostly horrid.

you can have multiple takes of your band playing and then cut them together to simulate multicam-- one wide shot, one of each player, etc, then cut them together.

and i'd second the idea of using vegas-- *i don't use it*, but it works with pretty much in any PC, no specialized hardware required (like final cut pro which works only on apple, or avid which requires very strict specs on the workstation). anyway, vegas has its own unique workflow but people who use it love it. i've never heard anyone say "vegas is shit". never.

anyway its 530 on friday so gotta get off the computer but might check back this weekend at some point.
Old 04.30.2010, 06:20 PM   #9
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
What editing program do you use? I suggest you switch over to Sony Vegas. It makes green-screen a breeze, using the same process that shabbray is referring to.

Our singer claims to have a copy of Adobe Premiere (probably not the latest version) lying around somewhere. I have Windows Movie Maker (don't laugh).

Which version of Sony Vegas do you recommend? I don't want to spend too much money for something I'm not going to use on a regular basis...
Old 04.30.2010, 06:23 PM   #10
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

if he has premiere save money and make it work-- seriously.

alright. must. flee.
Old 04.30.2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Vegas uses chroma keying, and it is a bitch if the footage isn't shot properly....which is about 40% of the time. It also has multi-cam editing, which is great for shooting music videos (assuming you can somehow find a 2nd camera, somwhere).

I am a die-hard Vegas fan. My brain just doesn't work with programs like AVID. They disgust me.

EDIT: I use Sony Vegas 9. I've never used Premiere, but you could always give it a shot. Whatever works, man.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2010, 03:25 AM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
you can do green screen in any video editing software, pretty much. it's called chroma key. shoot some weird ass footage. key it in the background. easy as pie. just don't have the band members wearing blue or green or they'll blend in.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth