Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums in the 2000s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2008, 09:44 AM   #1
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to Psychocandy now and I realised how most of the really influential and classic albums were made before 2000. I was just thinking and I can't really name any good bands or albums which were made in these past few years that changed something or started up something new.

Or is this the biggest bunch of shit you've ever seen in a thread before?

Any thoughts?
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
"classic" status takes time, and it has been just 8 years ince the turn of the century.
it takes at least 20 years to truly see the influence of a classic album, anything sooner and it needs to be classified a "likely classic" or something like that.

I personally think KNIFE PLAY by Xiu Xiu will hold up like that for the next 20 years. That is my nomination.
Old 06.26.2008, 09:56 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Just because you a have a limited and narrow-minded interest in music it dosn't mean that there's only shit records being put out.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 09:57 AM   #4
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Well if by classic you mean something that changed something or started something new, then the classic albums of the 2000s would be:

The White Stripes - Elephant
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
The Strokes - Is This It
Arcade Fire - Funeral

I'm not talking about music of course, but those three albums generated loads of followers.
Now if you're talking about classic albums in the masterpiece sense, then here comes some of MY classics:

Animal Collective - Feels and probably their next one
Autechre - Quaristice (yes!)
Battles - Mirrored
Black Dice - Load Blown
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Double Leopards - Halve Maen
Gang Gang Dance - God's Money
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
Mouthus - The Long Salt
Out Hud - S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D.
Pantha Du Prince - This Bliss
Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
Rubin Steiner - Drum Major!
Sonic Youth - NYC Ghosts & Flowers
Tortoise - It's All Around You
Xiu Xiu - La Forêt

And of course, you will disagree with them (especially with the Tortoise, but I've always thought it was one of their bests), but he, it's personal. And Fuck Buttons will prolly be in that list in one year
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Well if by classic you mean something that changed something or started something new, then the classic albums of the 2000s would be:

The White Stripes - Elephant
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
The Strokes - Is This It
Arcade Fire - Funeral

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you're being sarcastic, right?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:11 AM   #6
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you're being sarcastic, right?
No I'm not. As I said, I didn't talk about music at all.

But The White Stripes and The Strokes put the hype back to rock, and Franz Ferdinand generated followers that flooded rock during at least 2 or 3 years. Arcade Fire opened a breach for bands like Clap Your Hand Say Yeah!
Of course those bands were revival (well, except Arcade Fire). And I personnally don't consider them classic at all. But if you consider bands that changed something, then they are, sorry
Old 06.26.2008, 10:15 AM   #7
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Just because you a have a limited and narrow-minded interest in music it dosn't mean that there's only shit records being put out.

yes, i know this-this is why i made the thread, asshole.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
they might have changed for you and the people on your age bracket, but nothing you said there made them change anything.

hype? six months before the strokes and the white stripes, the hype was with at the drive-in that they were going to change the world like nirvana did. franz fuckdinand will be remembered as nothing much but one hit wonders and the arcade fire came around a time when neo folk symphonic pop were going through a popularization. the happened to be the "ones" so to speak.
Old 06.26.2008, 10:24 AM   #9
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
they might have changed for you and the people on your age bracket, but nothing you said there made them change anything.

hype? six months before the strokes and the white stripes, the hype was with at the drive-in that they were going to change the world like nirvana did. franz fuckdinand will be remembered as nothing much but one hit wonders and the arcade fire came around a time when neo folk symphonic pop were going through a popularization. the happened to be the "ones" so to speak.
They've changed nothing for me, I discovered music really with Sonic Youth (before that I was just a casual Linkin Park fan). Ask anyone in the street if they know At The Drive-In. Nobody will - at least in France. Now if you ask any of the other bands, 99% of the people will know them. Franz Ferdinand sold 3 fucking millions copies of their albums.
Old 06.26.2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

popular music = shit.

unimportant shit at that.

ask anyone if they know which band had the number one song in the summer 1972 and everyone will shrug their shoulders, but ask them if they have heard of black sabbath and chances are most people will tell you they have.
Old 06.26.2008, 10:34 AM   #11
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
popular music = shit.

unimportant shit at that.

ask anyone if they know which band had the number one song in the summer 1972 and everyone will shrug their shoulders, but ask them if they have heard of black sabbath and chances are most people will tell you they have.
Of course popular music = shit. Well actually, not totally, and I must admit that I don't find all those bands disgusting, though they're far from genius (now The Killers or Kaiser Chiefs are total shit for me). Let's say a major part of it. But if we talk about music that has changed something in t he mind of people, then we must be talking about mainstream, that's all.
Old 06.26.2008, 10:34 AM   #12
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
edit: -reply nuked-
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:35 AM   #13
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
xiu xiu
unwound (leaves turn inside you)
radiohead (kid a/hail to the thief)
sonic youth (murray street/sonic nurse?)
ghostface killah
boredoms
fugazi (the argument)
modest mouse (the moon & antarctica)
at the drive-in?
No Orchid?
Old 06.26.2008, 10:36 AM   #14
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
"classic" status takes time, and it has been just 8 years ince the turn of the century.
it takes at least 20 years to truly see the influence of a classic album, anything sooner and it needs to be classified a "likely classic" or something like that.
Agreed. As much as I'd like to say Kid A or The Argument or The Moon & Antarctica or Flood etc., it's hard to predict if an album is going to be worth a damn in twenty or so years.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:39 AM   #15
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ask them if they have heard of black sabbath and chances are most people will tell you they have.

because of "The Osbournes" or of the Iron Man OST?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:47 AM   #16
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
No Orchid?
edit: -comment nuked-

meh, forget it.
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:01 AM   #17
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
People give the 2000s an unfair press, theres been some really unique records if the 21st century so far, Battles, Godspeed You Black Emporer, Boards of Canada, Explosions In The Sky, SY, Portishead, (to name a few) have all produced one or more. But as Rob Instigator said, classic status takes time, and we're only just beggining to understand how brilliant and important albums like Lift Your Skinny Fists are now. Only time will tell...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:02 AM   #18
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i agree on animal collective
maybe wolf eyes-burned mind
it seems to be a genre defining of one of the more prominent underground genres of this decade
maybe lightning bolt-hypermagic mountain

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:07 AM   #19
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
popular music = shit.

unimportant shit at that
Now who's being a narrow minded fuckhead? Hm?

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:13 AM   #20
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
popular music = shit.

"do not confuse what's popular with what's good"

i believe bob dylan said that to tom petty

but

it goes both ways. things that are hugely mainstream (or were at one time) can be absolutely fantastic and things that are totally obscure could be shit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth