Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Detroit Bankruptcy..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.24.2013, 05:03 PM   #161
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
what would happen if we all agreed on the amazing insights and poetic beauty of your favourite religious texts? fuck all. fine they might be but tools for surviving and understanding the present they are not.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2013, 05:03 PM   #162
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

yeah because you know, the Enlightenment produced such marvelous, safe, and enlivening inventions which bring so much joy, peace, and happiness to our lives

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2013, 05:04 PM   #163
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
it really worries me that people flee back into the scams and pyramid schemes and darkness of religion (not saying i havent been tempted) as if they are some refuge from all the pitiless misery and violence of modernity. they really aren't. the only way out is through the other side.

for you to even say that stuff about the enlightenment and then post a pic of a nuclear bomb, like you dont know all the OTHER THINGS that came out of it - like you think prayer will help the poor and not the development of a plasma fusion power source that could bring nearly free energy to all their homes and offices - this kind of fucking bullshit is maybe ok in america where there are lots of other people taking things seriously in your place - but for small countries like mine it will be the fucking doom of us all!
Old 07.24.2013, 05:05 PM   #164
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
what would happen if we all agreed on the amazing insights and poetic beauty of your favourite religious texts? fuck all. fine they might be but tools for surviving and understanding the present they are not.

my favorite of all those things is the tao te ching. it's vague enough to be applicable to everything, like a horoscope, and short enough not to bore.

actually, chuang-tzu (also a taoist) is HILARIOUS. highly recommended, if you haven't. and i don't mean hilarious in the "laughable, ridiculous" way that christian miracles are hilarious. i mean great sense of humor.
Old 07.24.2013, 05:09 PM   #165
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
it really worries me that people flee back into the scams and pyramid schemes and darkness of religion (not saying i havent been tempted) as if they are some refuge from all the pitiless misery and violence of modernity. they really aren't. the only way out is through the other side.

what worries me more is the kind of non-thinking, entrenched muleheadedness that religious indoctrination promotes. dogma. the kind of mental pattern that keeps someone like suchy-poo reciting the same old crapola which doesn't hold up to examination, always convinced of his articles of faith. i've also seen it in communists and free-market prophets. don't think---believe. ugh!
Old 07.24.2013, 05:09 PM   #166
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Considering how much we are threatened by individual greed, avarice, and lack of mutual human empathy in the world, perhaps you are wrong. Perhaps more than ever to survive and understand the post-modern world where our technology has become infinitely dangerous, we need those insights and poetic beauty all the more. After all, lets not pretend the Romans or the Indians were all that savage, they lived what we would recognize as fairly modern lives, so their insights are perfectly apt for those willing to explore them.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2013, 05:09 PM   #167
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

the worst/most hilarious is when you see those philosophies spontaenously emerging in real life

i once listened to a woman tell me how although all these horrible things kept happening to her it was like good because then the dark comes with the light. a few hours later shes getting off with a teenager then crying in a bathroom.

we need a second fucking enlightenment. finance lessons, nutrition lessons, understanding of how the body actually works, what its ingredients are and what ingredients it needs. an understanding that what we consciously experience comes from a mechanical substrate that we can in fact alter with intelligently and not just abuse as hedonists or in tormented prayer!
Old 07.24.2013, 05:13 PM   #168
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

Considering how much we are threatened by individual greed, avarice, and lack of mutual human empathy in the world, perhaps you are wrong. Perhaps more than ever to survive and understand the post-modern world we need those insights and poetic beauty all the more. After all, lets not pretend the Romans or the Indians were all that savage, they lived what we would recognize as fairly modern lives, so their insights are perfectly apt for those willing to explore them.

isnt empathy a bullshit construction of that very post modernism - an empty phrase that signifies feel good condescension? most people i know have extreme 'empathy' for media spectacles and zero concern for the lives of everyone around them.

but lets not get stuck in an intellectual pissing match here.

you are still completely and eternally stuck in post modernism if you think remixing the past is will change the future. thats the very trap that blinds everyone today. we need to stop going into the past to salvage what we think we should be - as if we can pay off the debt of our folly by going back a step as if we could change our subjectivity from there.

its the future that we've lost sight of. there is no longer even any promises made by those in power about what we can expect in the future. the new adam curtis film is apparently all about this - and his point is that today control functions by keeping us focused on dead images of the past that circulate endlessly.

you are operating on behalf of that kind of control and advertizing yourself with it.
Old 07.24.2013, 05:13 PM   #169
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Then you're not doing it right. In a chaotic world, peace of heart is the most important human characteristic, and THAT is the function of prayer, not pimping God(s) to give you a new Cadillac

Old 07.24.2013, 05:16 PM   #170
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
the worst/most hilarious is when you see those philosophies spontaenously emerging in real life

i once listened to a woman tell me how although all these horrible things kept happening to her it was like good because then the dark comes with the light. a few hours later shes getting off with a teenager then crying in a bathroom.

we need a second fucking enlightenment. finance lessons, nutrition lessons, understanding of how the body actually works, what its ingredients are and what ingredients it needs. an understanding that what we consciously experience comes from a mechanical substrate that we can in fact alter with intelligently and not just abuse as hedonists or in tormented prayer!

according to some second-hand information i received (because i can't read habermas, too dense, maybe some day, i have the books here), habermas's response to nihilistic postmoderns is that the project of the enlightenment was never completed and we should try to finish it instead of bickering about the pointlessness of it all.

with this simple reduction (if i trust its source, my old advisor) of course i agree-- the enlightenment quickly became an excuse for imperialism. but it didn't have to be that way, did it?
Old 07.24.2013, 05:17 PM   #171
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Then you're not doing it right. In a chaotic world, peace of heart is the most important human characteristic, and THAT is the function of prayer, not pimping God(s) to give you a new Cadillac

do you want to neg-rep william blake again, silly man?

here you go:

"as the plow follows words, so god rewards prayers"
Old 07.24.2013, 05:19 PM   #172
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Y'all are cute, like some kittens or puppies.

Old 07.24.2013, 05:19 PM   #173
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

what people need today is not a better way to consume entertainment products - a better identity from the past that has failed. no more fucking remixing the past into new sets of the emperors clothes. like i said, there is no longer any future. post modernism became about reflexive impotence due to the individuals inability to take the place of god. "well - what are YOU doing about it?" that kind of thinking is the trap. no one person can take it all on their shoulders. noone can be serious and alert and focused all the time - noone should try. we all got stuck because this cynicism paralyzed the collective at the expense of aggrandizing the sneeriness of the individual. its not about going back to the collective. its not about trying vainly to be the ultimate individualst. the average person needs a way of understanding the technical realities they are embedded in, from their brain to their body to the economic system to the ingredients of their food to the latest research. the average person needs ways of understanding all this. they need to be able to understand how to free themselves from their addictions and not be scammed by the predators out there.

spirituality and mysticism WILL NOT SAVE US you can bring up any great historical truth you want but its not like its going to be suddenly spontaneously taken on board by everyone. what you are doing here is total vanity.

all that stuff you feel will one day soon be reduced to a neurological coordinates. science is closing in fast and you soon wont have any more room to bluff.
Old 07.24.2013, 05:27 PM   #174
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

Y'all are cute, like some kittens or puppies.

the religionist's response whenever cornered

alright, i'm off to read ST JOHN GOLDTOOTH mh yeah he'll convert me-- to fast sleep

alright seeyas.
Old 07.24.2013, 05:28 PM   #175
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the religionist's response whenever cornered

Interesting, that is same lame atheist's response. Don't engage with the religious literature and texts, don't try to actually understand and dialogue with such wisdom, rather, just crassly dismiss it as pulp and move on! Way to be sincerely intellectual there !##$%!, and y'all call me muleheaded! Here is the difference. I read y'all science, I am aware of y'all market-strategies, I see the benefits of technology, in other words I sincerely hear you out, and largely half agree. However, when I ask y'all do give me the same courtesy and investigate honestly instead of crassly religious wisdom, its y'all that get cornered and just stick out your tongue, hence cute like kittens. Whatever yo, its your loss

Now what does all this have to do with Detroit? Oh right. Y'all have this Freudian complex where you can't engage in conversation with a religious person if they don't happen to agree with your ideologies so instead you delve straight into the Ad Hominem fallacies.. talk about a fixation!

Quote:
all that stuff you feel will one day soon be reduced to a neurological coordinates. science is closing in fast and you soon wont have any more room to bluff.

Quote:
SCIENCCCCCEEEE!!!!

Old 07.24.2013, 05:47 PM   #176
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

i am serious and you are a fool. but its not about me. as i said, science is closing in fast and the bluff room is running out. you are obsolete but you dont know it. you make those jokes to say "its all relative cos its all coming from our minds anyway" but its more than that, its the empirical testing of reality. its decoding the physical mechanics of the mind. we already know there is no self in there (homunculus fallacy) and there is no more room for god to hide.

you dont even really believe in god so much as believe in the value of belief in god, and want to hector us all to read your books, as if theres anything in them other than feel good aphorisms and vague insight. insight porn its called. its a drug
Old 07.24.2013, 06:30 PM   #177
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
you dont even really believe in god so much as believe in the value of belief in god, and want to hector us all to read your books, as if theres anything in them other than feel good aphorisms and vague insight. insight porn its called. its a drug

That is where you're wrong. I very much believe in God. However, in consideration to the fact that folks like yourself do not, I shift my argument away from trying to persuade you to believe in the Divine so much as to concede the reality that even merely human wisdom is deeply embedded in religious literature, culture, and tradition. That is all. If y'all can't concede that point, it is y'all and not me who are being intellectually disingenuous.

Old 07.24.2013, 06:43 PM   #178
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

if you cant see yourself totally ignoring the actual points made and just repeating the same old irrelevant dogma you've become a victim of your own cognitive closure.
Old 07.31.2013, 01:30 PM   #179
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Lawsuits have already been filed in federal court to block Kevyin Orr’s bankruptcy filing in federal court, on the grounds that it violates the sanctity of these public pension contracts. With Michigan State Judge Rose Marie Aqualina, ruling last Friday that such an action was unconstitutional and ordering Governor Snyder to withdraw the petition for Bankruptcy. As a result Snyder has appealed the ruling to a federal court in an attempt to circumvent the constitution of the state of Michigan. And has even threatened to hold Judge Aqualina in contempt.
Meanwhile as Kevyin Orr maneuvers to pay pensioners merely pennies on the dollar * he has worked out a separate deal with the city’s biggest creditors; Bank of America, Deutsche Bank and others: Promising to pay them 75 to 80 cents on the dollar for interest-rate swaps and other derivative-deals which Detroit had been lured into purchasing in a desperate attempt to raise revenue over recent years.
http://rense.com/general96/endof.html
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2013, 01:43 PM   #180
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Analysts keep barking about how this is good for Detroit, how it is going to help Detroit's future out, how things are positive and optimistic. That may be, in part, but for those folks whose contracts will be gutted ..err restructured its a loss. On paper there is opportunity for repairing Detroit's economy and problems, but we know in actuality this is just a fire-sale for the Walmart types to step in and buy out what remains at bargain-basement pricing. Suddenly all of Detroit will have corporate sponsorship like the rides at Disneyland or all the shit at an NFL stadium

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth