Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page hold that tiger.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.14.2006, 10:51 PM   #21
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Somebody told me it means, Your mother has gone shopping.

Also, supposedly, the cover photo is not of Thurston and Kim, as one might suppose at a quick glance but of members of Pussy Galore. (?) Has anybody heard anything about that? When somebody told me that, I took a closer look, and it really doesn't look like Thurston and Kim. But I'm not real sure what the people in Pussy Galore look like.

fuck i always thought that was thurston, ha.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 11:23 PM   #22
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
It's definitely English. Hisuterikku Komikkusu. Only thing you did was translate the ku's as wa's. Katakana is actually very hard to read at first because they all look similar. I can read them, but I have a hard time recalling them all like I can with hiragana.

The u's are almost always silent in foreign words like that - and even in normal Japanese, for that matter. So it would be pronounced something like Histerik Komiks, and Hysteric Comics is all I can think of it meaning. Has to be. But I don't know what that is.

ah, now that i take a second look i can see where they would be ku's. that particular font is just so ambiguous . . . on that one kana alone you could make a case for wa, fu, ku, or even u, ke, or ra if you're hallucinating enough.

if the kana are this tough i can only imagine how mind-blowingly impossible the kanji are . . . especially when they have two entirely different pronunciations based on context. i'm going to start taking chinese in a couple weeks . . . gives me something to look, er, forward to.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 12:22 AM   #23
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Ya I would say the dual pronunciations are the hardest thing about Japanese. Harder than memorizing the characters, which, from what I hear, becomes quite a bit easier once you get the various common patterns down. And I've read that learning the correct stroke order makes alternate fonts and cursive much easier to decipher. It gives a direction to the form that you can follow, and probably helps to tie everything together coherently when you're faced with a bunch of seemingly random strokes. But I'm not that far yet, so I don't know.

I believe Kanji are all Chinese characters. I suppose that could make Chinese harder or easier, depending on how you look at it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 06:17 PM   #24
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
nobody from japan around, no?
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth