Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Credit Crunch/Recession Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2008, 12:55 PM   #21
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I am graduating now. As in by the end of the month.

And it is a BA in Philosophy.

Cry me a river.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 12:57 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the only risk you see is that if your large multinational company is in dire financial straits and can't make payroll from cashflow, you might be in shit regardless. dont mean to scare you, but if banks are not lending sometimes even big businesses can sink (see: american auto industry).

Thanks for not scaring me. I'm not really too worried, I look at the figures, I know what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 12:58 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley

Cry me a river.

ha ha ha ha

o cmon!

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 12:58 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Cry me a river.

I'm sure you can bullshit your way into a job easier than a business graduate. Philosophy might not be directly useful, but you've really learnt nothing if you can't baffle people into think you're more capable than you necessarily are (that's not meant as an insult either).

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.16.2008, 01:00 PM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Thanks for not scaring me. I'm not really too worried, I look at the figures, I know what's going on.

im currently shitting my pants cuz my revenue has depended on people who do advertising, but i'm looking for a new niche.

bank robberies maybe...
Old 12.16.2008, 01:00 PM   #26
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

That requires a master's degree, at least.
Old 12.16.2008, 01:02 PM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm sure you can bullshit your way into a job easier than a business graduate. Philosophy might not be directly useful, but you've really learnt nothing if you can't baffle people into think you're more capable than you necessarily are (that's not meant as an insult either).

i dont think he has the same confidence in his education as you have. i don't mean it as an insult either, but he's buying the bullshit about "the uselessness of philosophy degrees"-- when actually the world is in need of people who can think clearly.
Old 12.16.2008, 01:06 PM   #28
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Obscurantism is fun, I must admit.

Though if I hear business types tossing "paradigm" around to describe their marketing campaigns, I might murder them.
Old 12.16.2008, 01:08 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Well, I was the same when I was coming out of the same qualification he's getting. It's pretty natural, stage-fright, suddenly realising that this thing that you've devoted years of your life to that you're passionate and, hopefully, good at, is not particularly vocational. It was about three crappy, short-term jobs in that I realised that half the struggle in any job is convincing people that you're right, which philosophy is very, very good for. It's also good for mitigating office-tension, something that a jumped-up business BA isn't going to have.

Quote:
Old 12.16.2008, 01:10 PM   #30
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'm doing fine. I currently have lots of money with very little need for "stuff".

I'm graduating next month with a BA in RAP SUPERSTAR. the future's so bright, I have to wear welding-goggles.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 01:11 PM   #31
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
i dont think he has the same confidence in his education as you have. i don't mean it as an insult either, but he's buying the bullshit about "the uselessness of philosophy degrees"-- when actually the world is in need of people who can think clearly.
Actually, I don't buy it. I just love the attention that comes with pity.

A philosophy degree looks pretty badass when you follow it up with a masters or whatever in something specific.
Old 12.16.2008, 01:13 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Actually, I don't buy it. I just love the attention that comes with pity.

you're in the right place for that kind of crap.

do you want that served with a side of derision?

Quote:
A philosophy degree looks pretty badass when you follow it up with a masters or whatever in something specific.

even by itself. but anyway, if you love school, this is the right fucking time it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I'm doing fine. I currently have lots of money with very little need for "stuff".

I'm graduating next month with a BA in RAP SUPERSTAR. the future's so bright, I have to wear welding-goggles.

i thought robinstigator had massacred you last time. you're asking him for a rematch?

i might put on my don king wig & profit from this shit.
Old 12.16.2008, 01:42 PM   #33
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
anyway, in all seriousness, this is the first month i've felt the pinch-- clients not so eager to jump on projects as in months before. OUCH i say. OUCH.

Same here. I'm hearing from clients who tell me they're cutting their freelance budgets. Yikes. I'm seriously going back to working for the man--have some irons in the fire right now. I need to get hired before hiring freezes go into effect.
Old 12.16.2008, 02:53 PM   #34
sarramkrop

Quote:
you're in the right place for that kind of crap.

do you want that served with a side of derision?

even by itself. but anyway, if you love school, this is the right fucking time it seems.

i thought robinstigator had massacred you last time. you're asking him for a rematch?

i might put on my don king wig & profit from this shit.

Aren't you the dude who actively partcipated in making the election of someone who's going to make you feel the pinch even more seriosuly than everyone else before real (i.e. wasting time and changing nothing)? Shouldn't you be the one who will have the deadpan look on his face when derision will come in all the brutal force of grim reality?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 02:59 PM   #35
sarramkrop

Quote:
Well, I was the same when I was coming out of the same qualification he's getting. It's pretty natural, stage-fright, suddenly realising that this thing that you've devoted years of your life to that you're passionate and, hopefully, good at, is not particularly vocational. It was about three crappy, short-term jobs in that I realised that half the struggle in any job is convincing people that you're right, which philosophy is very, very good for. It's also good for mitigating office-tension, something that a jumped-up business BA isn't going to have.
I never heard anyone using philosophical concepts to give the impression to others at work that they're right, and I work in a pretty 'arty' establishment, where you'd think that sort of practice should be thriving.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 03:04 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I never heard anyone using philosophical concepts to give the impression to others at work that they're right, and I work in a pretty 'arty' establishment, where you'd think that sort of practice should be thriving.

Yeah, but (if you'll excuse the prickery) I work in a more 'properly' corporate environment, where everyone's very keen to use high-falutin' concepts to edify the lack of actual content to their ideas.

Quote:
Old 12.16.2008, 03:09 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
at the moment I am looking for work as a catholic school teacher, though the hiring period is not until June, so now it is just choreographing my future movements.

However, here in CA the sky is falling, they are predicting a $7 trillion dollar deficit, which I can't even believe because the annual budget of the entire nation last year was barely over $3 trillion.. however they are laying off public school teachers by the thousands..

lucky for me Ethiopia is marginally affected:

In October this year, the PM told the parliamentarians that the financial crisis does not have that much effect on Ethiopia because the country's financial sector has not yet integrated with that of the developed world.

In fact, the long serving banks in Ethiopia are state-owned, and it has only been 14 years since private banks entered the sector. The country's strict banking regulations do not allow foreign companies and investors to penetrate the financial sector.

you know there is trouble in paradise when third world countries offer better prospects than california!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 03:11 PM   #38
sarramkrop

Quote:
Yeah, but (if you'll excuse the prickery) I work in a more 'properly' corporate environment, where everyone's very keen to use high-falutin' concepts to edify the lack of actual content to their ideas.

Anyone (if you'll excuse my prickery) who's been to the South Bank on a regular basis would not only disagree with that, but find it absurd. A big art complex in London isn't some small business company based in Bristol. Guess where the 'proper' corporate enviroment bit comes from.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 03:14 PM   #39
sarramkrop

Good thing which always happens in times of great economic strain is that all the best (and worst) ideas come to the fore from any corner, so not all is bad.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 03:27 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Anyone (if you'll excuse my prickery) who's been to the South Bank on a regular basis would not only disagree with that, but find it absurd. A big art complex in London isn't some small business company based in Bristol. Guess where the 'proper' corporate enviroment bit comes from.

It really isn't a small company. If you've had a drink in the last week, they've had an oar in it somewhere. But whatever, you're right, London does have more than it's fair share of prickery. London does not, by any means, have a stranglehold on corporate prickery. I'm not entirely sure what the point is now, but... yeah. Eat it.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth