Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Rip Grant Hart Of Hüsker Dü
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Holy shit.

RIP.

Fuck.

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/665401001/

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
There are a lot of painful ripples going through my social spheres today. I only knew him a little bit myself, but every interaction I had with him was extremely Pleasant and he was an incredibly kind-hearted person. A couple of my good friends were extremely close to him, even having lived with him for quite a while at one point and I feel for them today especially. Not to mention his immediate family. Around here people not only respected his musical contributions to the world, but actually knew the man as a man. He touched a lot of people. He will definitely be missed. I saw him around town quite a bit, and there was even one time when he helped do lighting for one of my old bands. If you would have told my teenage self that he would be tearing down the lighting rig after one of my shows I would have said you were crazy, but there you have it. I think his songs from the early days have aged way better than Bob's, and I'm absolutely certain I will be giving Zen Arcade a good loud spin this evening.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2017, 07:33 PM   #3
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
There are a lot of painful ripples going through my social spheres today. I only knew him a little bit myself, but every interaction I had with him was extremely Pleasant and he was an incredibly kind-hearted person. A couple of my good friends were extremely close to him, even having lived with him for quite a while at one point and I feel for them today especially. Not to mention his immediate family. Around here people not only respected his musical contributions to the world, but actually knew the man as a man. He touched a lot of people. He will definitely be missed. I saw him around town quite a bit, and there was even one time when he helped do lighting for one of my old bands. If you would have told my teenage self that he would be tearing down the lighting rig after one of my shows I would have said you were crazy, but there you have it. I think his songs from the early days of aged way better than Bob's, and I'm absolutely certain I will be giving Zen Arcade a good loud spin this evening.

He was the McCartney of the Dü. He wrote "Green Eyes," and "Pink Turns to Blie" and so many more.

Thanks for sharing. I never had the pleasure of meeting him or seeing him perform, but I was positively obsessed with Hüsker Dü in high school, and they're a staple for me even now. Wherever I go, whatever I'm going, the ability to listen to Zen Arcade, New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig is an absolute necessity for me.

I'm very sad about this, but I'm happy to see the well-wishing from members of the music community. He really will be missed.
Old 09.14.2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Bob Mould has a good post about Grant on his Facebook page. He doesn't gloss over the differences they had but still pays a fine tribute to him. The best thing about the post is two photos of the two of them together, one taken in the very early days, and one taken much more recently. The Husker Du Facebook page simply has a photograph of Grant--subtle but evocative.

RIP, Grant Hart.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2017, 08:51 PM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Va2TPejDvpA
Old 09.14.2017, 08:55 PM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Oh God "Green Eyes" ugh good call. So sad. I feel like I always gravitated towards his songs in Husker Du.
Old 09.15.2017, 05:38 AM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Oh God "Green Eyes" ugh good call. So sad. I feel like I always gravitated towards his songs in Husker Du.

He also wrote "Terms of Psychic Warfare" and "You Can Live at Home," so he wrote a majority of my top five or so Hüsker Dü songs.

These songs, along with Mould's (and, of course, countless tracks by SY and Yo La Tengo and so on) absolutely defined my late teen years, when I was figuring out who I was as a music fan and what my own kind of "musical footprint" was. Grant Hart showed me what I always wanted to hear in melodic love songs. There was something uncanny about listening to these songs and realizing all the different shapes and sounds, noises and speed levels "love" songs could have.

Paul Westerberg also had this effect on me, but I think it was Grant and Mould who had the most lasting effect.

My god. We just keep losing these guys. This one hits me harder personally than any death since Lou Reed, I think.
Old 09.15.2017, 08:29 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I blasted my Du
Old 09.16.2017, 11:53 AM   #9
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I knew this was coming, but I'm fucking crushed anyway. You keep me hanging on, Grant.

I hope Savage Young Dü will be followed by properly remastered reissues of the band's catalogue. One of the GREATEST drummers in rock history deserves more than the tinny sound you hear on the currently available CDs.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I knew this was coming, but I'm fucking crushed anyway. You keep me hanging on, Grant.

I hope Savage Young Dü will be followed by properly remastered reissues of the band's catalogue. One of the GREATEST drummers in rock history deserves more than the tinny sound you hear on the currently available CDs.

Agree. 100%.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth