Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page lee and master musicians of joujouka
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2006, 09:58 AM   #1
nxa
empty page

nxa has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
hi people,
I wonder whether there is any audio footage (live, studio, whatever...) on the net, from the jammings of lee with these guys from Morocco... any ideas?
nxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
there's a recording of the show they did in holland a couple of years ago, lee barely does anything though. still, mmj are awesome regardless.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 02:37 PM   #3
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
there's a recording of the show they did in holland a couple of years ago, lee barely does anything though.

Too much kif, I guess....
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 06:16 AM   #4
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
i wouldn't say barely anything, but he did stay on the background a bit. also his sound wasn't ideal if i remember well. on the old board lee even replied about that show, saying how he didn't want to be a "guitar guy fronting ethnic band" or something to that effect... there's also a recording of their set at bumbershoot 1999 (seattle) existing, i think i like that one better than the one from the hague.

the jajoukas might be touring europe again soon actually. at least i saw they'll be playing in amsterdam in september. dunno if it's a one off thing though.

edit: that's the joujoukas who will be touring actually... damn, it's a bit confusing.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2008, 12:52 PM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sure that I once had a zine, purchased in NY around 1997/1998, that contained an excerpt from Lee's Moroccan Journal (that doesn't narrow things down much, the same excerpt seems to have surfaced in loads of zines) and came with a CD that included among its tracks some music that Lee recorded on his DAT player of him playing with some of the Master Musicians during his September '95 Moroccan trip. I can't for the life of me remember what zine it was though. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them.

It's not The Wire, by the way, although the same excerpt is available on their website at http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/133
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2008, 04:29 PM   #6
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
A friend just gave me a copy of that last month, can't remember the name either - I also have the Morroccan Journals booklet Lee did, I got that at the Worcester MA show in 98.

[edit] was it Yakuza?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2008, 04:37 PM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Found it!

Cool Beans! Magazine #8 Traveling Issue Bonus CD

released in 98.
one of the tracks is a 5-minute untitled piece of improvisation by Lee Ranaldo w/ Master Musicians of Jajouka. there are plans to release an entire album of this stuff, i'll definitely get it. the issue of Cool Beans! that this accompanies has some of LR's Moroccan journal.

Now I just need to find a copy.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth