Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What's wrong with The Eternal ???
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.04.2011, 12:16 AM   #21
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Wow. That's an interesting interpretation. I've never associated SY with spirituality at all, but I can see where you're coming from.

It's awesome to talk to people who think about SY as much and as deeply as I do.

Although I have listened SY over 20 years, maybe a four years ago their music hit me totally for a reason I donīt know. Since then I have thought itīs the greatest band in the world (well sometimes I think it is some other, because there are so many great bands in the world).

Before that I thought the "official" material is enough, so I hadnīt got for example any SYRS. One reason was also that my previous retailer said SYRS were too arty, that they werenīt very listenable. That time I wasnīt also very big fan of "Master-dik" (now I think itīs also very great!). So when I got that "hit" I wanted to have all the SY material I havenīt got and I was very suprised how great for example SYR1 was (itīs so beatiful, not "too arty" at all, whatever it means)! I still havenīt got SYR6 and SYR8, because I prefer vinyls, but I will buy them before this year is over! And I havenīt got many singles, because I think many SY b-sides are not so good (Genetic is a true exception, that single I will buy someday) and I also donīt think there is much sense to pay a lot for a couple of songs. Kill Yr Idols e.p is something I really want to have!

Yeah, I think it has been also great to discuss with you, because there arenīt not so many Sonic enthusiastics here (well maybe there are, but some reason they donīt discuss much about SY).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2011, 12:45 AM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Why donīt you put your hate to somewhere else as SY? I mean you havenīt got anything positive to say about SY or SY-members solos since rather ripped. I think everybody knows in SYG you hate after rather ripped SY. If you some reason canīt stay away from SYG, why donīt you be just in the Non-sonics side? I mean this is Sonic Youth FAN-forum, not some common music forum where everybody should critisize the music commonly. I donīt mean anybody canīt say any negative things about SY, but you have say your comments so many times and there is nothing new.

And if youīre going to reply "Iīm just answering the thread", you could have just answered "I donīt like any SY-products after RR" (well I think that would have been also unneccessary, because everybody knows it here). I love Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I donīt like at all Stadium Arcadium. I donīt still have any need to go RHCP-fan sites to repeat all the time how lousy band RHCP nowdays are.
Chillax sweetie. I was only kidding, you know? XxX
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2011, 12:53 AM   #23
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Chillax sweetie. I was only kidding, you know? XxX
Now I finally got it! Youīre just a clown of SYG! And youīre so funny!
Old 08.04.2011, 01:11 AM   #24
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Now I finally got it! Youīre just a clown of SYG! And youīre so funny!
I found a forum where I could feel at home. X
Old 08.04.2011, 08:15 AM   #25
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Although I have listened SY over 20 years, maybe a four years ago their music hit me totally for a reason I donīt know. Since then I have thought itīs the greatest band in the world (well sometimes I think it is some other, because there are so many great bands in the world).

Before that I thought the "official" material is enough, so I hadnīt got for example any SYRS. One reason was also that my previous retailer said SYRS were too arty, that they werenīt very listenable. That time I wasnīt also very big fan of "Master-dik" (now I think itīs also very great!). So when I got that "hit" I wanted to have all the SY material I havenīt got and I was very suprised how great for example SYR1 was (itīs so beatiful, not "too arty" at all, whatever it means)! I still havenīt got SYR6 and SYR8, because I prefer vinyls, but I will buy them before this year is over! And I havenīt got many singles, because I think many SY b-sides are not so good (Genetic is a true exception, that single I will buy someday) and I also donīt think there is much sense to pay a lot for a couple of songs. Kill Yr Idols e.p is something I really want to have!

Yeah, I think it has been also great to discuss with you, because there arenīt not so many Sonic enthusiastics here (well maybe there are, but some reason they donīt discuss much about SY).

The SYRS are touch and go for me. I can listen to Anagrama all fucking day long, and I think the first three songs are good as any album cuts.

There are great tracks scattered through out them all ("International Spy" is fucking incredible), but I can only listen to the serious noise-outs about once a year.

However, I do collect them like mad, and I think SYR is one of the main reasons why Sonic Youth are so much different from ALL other bands. No other contemporary artists do stuff like this.

(Except maybe the Lips, who also invest a lot of time and money into doing whatever the fuck they want, sales be damned; one of the reasons I like them so much.)
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2011, 12:25 AM   #26
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
The SYRS are touch and go for me. I can listen to Anagrama all fucking day long, and I think the first three songs are good as any album cuts.

There are great tracks scattered through out them all ("International Spy" is fucking incredible), but I can only listen to the serious noise-outs about once a year.

However, I do collect them like mad, and I think SYR is one of the main reasons why Sonic Youth are so much different from ALL other bands. No other contemporary artists do stuff like this.

(Except maybe the Lips, who also invest a lot of time and money into doing whatever the fuck they want, sales be damned; one of the reasons I like them so much.)
I love SYR1, SYR2, SYR3, SYR7 and SYR9 as much as those "official" albums! SYR4 is also very great, but it donīt "feed all my Sonic hunger". SYR5 is ok, but also like Thurstonīs solos, there is something missing thatīs in SY (Well I think Thurston got to very near of SY`s greatness in Demolished). By the way, have you got Made In Usa and Demonlover? I think they are also very, very great!

I think only real reason to make art is express yourself. Of course I understand many people have to get their bread for making art, but I donīt believe you can make a good art with thinking "I have to get enough money for this to live". And I donīt feel jealousy to any kind of artist, itīs a real fight if you live just making art without giving away any of your principles.
Old 08.05.2011, 02:54 PM   #27
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
One point that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that it was their first album with Matador. Perhaps that has something to do with the production and choice of songs. As said individually the songs are strong but as a collection there is no flow no theme. It's like they wanted to take a different piece of every type of music that they have played over the years and put them all in one album.
Most of their previous albums seem to have a theme that all songs on that album stuck to.
Old 08.07.2011, 12:15 AM   #28
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
One point that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that it was their first album with Matador. Perhaps that has something to do with the production and choice of songs. As said individually the songs are strong but as a collection there is no flow no theme. It's like they wanted to take a different piece of every type of music that they have played over the years and put them all in one album.
Most of their previous albums seem to have a theme that all songs on that album stuck to.

But if that's the case, why doesn't it sound more like a Matador record?

If it had some kind of S&E feel, I think it would work better, but the songs are SO precisely produced and so clean. It reminds me a bit of WM at times, Dirty at others...

Like i said, the songs are great. I love all of them.

However, does anyone else think that "Antenna" sounds kind of REM-y? I think the chorus is very reminiscent of that band's typical melodic leanings.
Old 08.07.2011, 12:52 AM   #29
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
at the first time i listened to the eternal, i thought it was great.. grew tired of it after a couple of listens

albums like goo & dirty are extremely hard for me to listen to as a whole, but i like a few songs

i think ATL is magical tho
nyc g&f, sonic nurse & murray street are beautiful as well
damn, post early-90's SY needs more recognition
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2011, 09:01 AM   #30
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
at the first time i listened to the eternal, i thought it was great.. grew tired of it after a couple of listens

albums like goo & dirty are extremely hard for me to listen to as a whole, but i like a few songs

Agree, but Goo is one of the only albums I can listen to thousand times in a row and think it just gets better and better. I agree about Dirty though, only a few songs if im not in a dirty-mood so to speak.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2011, 11:22 AM   #31
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

If it had some kind of S&E feel, I think it would work better, but the songs are SO precisely produced and so clean. It reminds me a bit of WM at times, Dirty at others...

However, does anyone else think that "Antenna" sounds kind of REM-y? I think the chorus is very reminiscent of that band's typical melodic leanings.

Personally I wouldn't know what a Matador record sounds like as I'm not that familiar with them. I agree totally about the clean sound though and that's what I would have considered a Matador production.
Old 08.07.2011, 11:30 AM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Narrative, you ignorant twats.
Old 08.07.2011, 12:23 PM   #33
donnie
little trouble girl

donnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's asses
If the sound is clean, it's because it sounds like Sonic Youth sounds. It's right there in front of you and nobody's been messing with it. It sounds good but nobody tried to make it sound better. In that sense it is like ATL-it's what the band sounds like at a moment in history. Compare to Dirty, with, I think, alot of tarting-up the sound by Mr. Vig, booming bass, doubled vocals, and other artifacts of "production."
I like the Eternal, so maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread. I especially like how the drums are up in the mix. Steve is often obscured in the mix-you don't totally realize it until you hear them live and understand how he's driving all of it. It occurs to me, this is what SY sounds like with a rhythm section. It's the Ibold effect. So it is more rocky and at times even poppy, but I think that's ok. SY busted all kinds of music to shards in the day, but it doesn't mean they have to keep busting now. They busted it already. What's next, that's what counts.
donnie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2011, 01:51 PM   #34
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

i think ATL is magical tho
nyc g&f, sonic nurse & murray street are beautiful as well
damn, post early-90's SY needs more recognition

To me, Goo and Dirty are totally different. Goo is more reminiscent of DN than people give it credit for.
Old 08.07.2011, 05:14 PM   #35
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Nurse has such a great vocals / jim o' rourke / production / progressive moments / beautiful sounds / cover art. I don't care if it sounds like something from the past in few songs (or not), or it has similar mood with Murray Street. That's the quintessence of the later / grown-up Sonic Youth.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2011, 05:53 PM   #36
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Actually just played it for the 1st time in months and was struck by the genius. It typically takes me afew years to have aa full appreciation of the sy albums. Love it.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2011, 05:55 PM   #37
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl
Sonic Nurse has such a great vocals / jim o' rourke / production / progressive moments / beautiful sounds / cover art. I don't care if it sounds like something from the past in few songs (or not), or it has similar mood with Murray Street. That's the quintessence of the later / grown-up Sonic Youth.

Amen sonic brutha!!!

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2011, 01:03 AM   #38
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

I donīt understand about that discussion about lack of theme in Eternal, because to me itīs very hard to find clear theme from any Sonic Album. I think the sounds have been the thing ties SY-albums, and it is so in Eternal. The clearest "theme"-album is BMR and I think there isnīt also that kind of theme that is for example Who Tommy or Pretty Things S.F Sorrow. Yeah, maybe there is some kind of theme in Sister, but I think it is just behind of that album.

Maybe the problem is that Eternal sound so perfect. When I first time heard Eternal, I truly though itīs their "Sgt Pepper". I have come down to that, but I listened Eternal few days ago (I havenīt listened it a while) and still it sound very good to me. Washing Machine donīt truly sound to me like Eternal. Maybe there is something same in Daydream Nation and Goo -production, because they also have kind of "well-produced-drum sounds", but to me they also sound quite different. I knew somebodies that were very disappointed to Daydream Nation, maybe the reason is that it has so modern sounds if you compare it to Sister.

What I said before from those drumsounds, I think when you are recording with protools there always come same drum sounds if you really donīt pay attention to them (I have heard many demos made in Protools that have exactly those same drum sounds as in Eternal). And I think itīs very boring because of course drum sounds has to be like the music and those "pro-tools drum sounds" are good only in Heavy metal or hard rock.
Old 08.08.2011, 01:37 AM   #39
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

Well, I have EVER compared SY and REM, but I have to admit maybe there is something same in Antenna and REM. I donīt know why is it so, but I have always thought REM is very much poorer band than SY, maybe more narrow is the correct word. Of course REM is quite ok band.
Old 08.08.2011, 11:57 AM   #40
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl

Yeah, I agree. Especially after hearing Nurse live. You can hear the classic post-hardcore thrum, even in the quieter songs like "Unmade Bed". There are definitely a lot of moments that remind me of Sister and Daydream.

The only problem with the album is "Dude Ranch Nurse". At first listen, it was my favorite track on the record, but now I think it would have worked better as a b-side. It's got an incredible groove, but it's thin and feels unfinished, and I wish it had been left off the album.

But yeah- even though Sonic Nurse is not even, probably, in my top 5 SY records, it's definitely quintessential. More so than Murray Street, which in retrospect was kind of a big step from all that came before it. Murray had a much different sound even than NYC and ATL. I prefer Murray Street to Nurse, but Nurse is definitely more classic SY.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth