Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Whats your most memorable Sonic moment?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2008, 08:42 AM   #1
hooligan37
little trouble girl

hooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asses
Just want to know what you guys thought. Or what got you into them?
hooligan37 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 08:50 AM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I listened to EVOL as the fog of the San Francisco Bay was rolling in on the dark summer night like a mystery novel with the fog horns foreshadowing the moans of Marilyn Moore.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Steve signed my shirt after rocking me out hardcore at a sonic youth show

Old 05.13.2008, 10:14 AM   #4
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
the first time i listened to Murray Street.

when they played teenage riot, when i saw them in 2004.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 12:07 PM   #5
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
the first time i heard the feedback breakdown in silver rocket.

july 4th will be my first chance seeing them live ever. i'm excited.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty much the entire time in Nashville where Thurston was about 2 feet away at all times.

Within it, the time he passed his guitar over the crowd during Mote or when he was walking across the monitors and the one in front of me tilted forward, Thurston stumbled and I pushed it back, thereby, possibly saving Mr. Moore from falling into the crowd.
Old 05.13.2008, 01:41 PM   #7
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I listened to Daydream Nation. God, I was noisily fucked.
Old 05.13.2008, 02:51 PM   #8
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I heard the noise jam on the end of pattern recognition. I thought my school band at the time were pushing the barriers in terms of feedback squalls... this just made me wanna give up.

Either that or that youtube video of kool thing a hultsfreed 02 when thurston does that feedback thing with his pedals... i stayed up for ages after that setting up my 1 mulituse pedal so i cud do the exact same thing the next day at a school gig in front of loads of 12 year olds all covering their ears.

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 03:01 PM   #9
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
When I discovered them with Nevermind (what was it anyway) on a Virgin Megastore, that video blew me away... It was incredible, I couldn't even guess what that "Indie" logo on the corner of the TV meant at the time.

Also not so long ago, it was like 1am and I was listening to my iPod, and I played NYC ghosts & Flowers (my favorite song ever done by anybody), and I could feel the shivers growing on me as the crescendo went, and when the great wall of sound came at the end I felt like I was floating, I could litteraly feel waves going through my whole body. It was an incredible experience, I'll never forget it...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i love those sonic experiences.

the end of mote, the last 4 minutes, when I first heard goo, on headphones in my dark bedroom at my mom's

man, that shit screwed me up for life! I love it! no regrets!
Old 05.13.2008, 03:33 PM   #11
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

the end of mote, the last 4 minutes, when I first heard goo, on headphones in my dark bedroom at my mom's

One day, the 9111 thing was really getting to me. I was always into hardcore, since 1992. Way after Thurston and Kim and Steve. So, 3 weeks ago, seeing Thurston take his jacket off and walk past McDonald's across from Bicycles, I was relieved of my 9111 anxiety. It is another nice evening. Now China is in the dark. China is in the dark. China is in the dark. China is in the dark. China is in the dark. Go Led Zeppelin! China is in the dark. Go Go Go Go
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 09:19 PM   #12
charles eugene
bad moon rising

charles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's asses
^^^^are u talking about september 11th? if so, thats a pretty heart-warming story

Everyone of their albums was a new memorable sonic moment upon hearing it and they still are for me.

i love thinking back on all the days i spent(and still do) just laying down, listening to the sounds, just spacing out or analyzing the shit out of them.
charles eugene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 10:06 PM   #13
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Probably, the first time I listened to Daydream Nation, which was my first SY album.

This was around 2000 or so, and I was roughly as floored as human being could hope to be by a music album.

And that's only happened to me a few times.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 10:53 PM   #14
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I also remember what made me love SY, it was listening to Confusion is Sex. That album completely changed the way I feel about music. I was in my room listening to she's in a bad mood. God I love that song.
Old 05.13.2008, 10:54 PM   #15
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

that's how i listened to daydream nation, but it wasn't night. i was at my mom's ex husband's place and i just got my order from columbia house and the first thing i listened to on my brand new cd walkman was daydream nation. teenage riot was great, but when i heard silver rocket i was blown away and the album just kept on getting better and better.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 11:12 PM   #16
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
besides almost causing a riot by opening for them...

when i saw them do the noise part in "sugar kane" on later with jools holland. i truly think something inside me went off, like it opened a part of my brain i didn't have access to.

same when i first listened to goodbye 20th century, something changed inside me and i wasn't even aware of it.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 11:23 PM   #17
evolontko
little trouble girl

evolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's asses
First time with MARILYN MOORE on evol was like everything is simple and any way its worth to live on this fucked up world
Old 05.13.2008, 11:44 PM   #18
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles eugene
^^^^are u talking about september 11th? if so, thats a pretty heart-warming story

Everyone of their albums was a new memorable sonic moment upon hearing it and they still are for me.

i love thinking back on all the days i spent(and still do) just laying down, listening to the sounds, just spacing out or analyzing the shit out of them.

yes. 911. the deceased french philosopher Jacques Derrida called it a ritual invocation, the word le 11 sept. or september 11th. i can't find the book. it's a very bright critique of the whole collision of history and philosophy, 'philosophy in a time of terror' by giovanna borradori is the reference. i like to write one with a single stroke so it could be "l" or "/". Conversely, "/" for "l". I don't know.

i was wearing my college overcoat. i was watching the people. thurston appeared wearing a denim jacket and a few seconds later he hangs it over his shoulder, turns the "corner on 14" and disappears into the city. go thurston!
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 12:55 AM   #19
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
When I first heard Daydream Nation, I didn't really "get it." Then, on a late afternoon, I listened to Candle. The intro amazed me, I listened to the intro over and over. Then I "got it."
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2008, 01:06 PM   #20
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I heard "Inhuman" damn that fucking blew my mind!
Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth