Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth have made some great music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2007, 07:06 PM   #21
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, oh;

- The royally fucked up guitar sounds in SY's rendition of 'Simpsons Theme'.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 07:11 PM   #22
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
My fav SY moment is the 'rise' of Thurston's Mu-tron during Washing Machine. From there until when it leads into Kim's quarter rap and the note someone (Lee) plays after that.
RanaldoNecro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 07:12 PM   #23
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
The drop of the guitar at he end "Winner's Blues" kicks ass as well...
RanaldoNecro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 07:19 PM   #24
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
The drop of the guitar at he end "Winner's Blues" kicks ass as well...

Oh yeah, great ending, that is.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 07:35 PM   #25
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Its that bit in Cross The Breeze where it sounds like jumping off a cliff. You know the bit.
And the first note of pattern recognition where its in tune but not
And the instrumental bit of Rain on Tin that makes the sun come out.
And the transition bit of Im insane that sounds like being taken back to the woods in medieval times and being burned for witchcraft.
And "we kissed, time split, hard edged, tight lipped, see you sometime, ask me if i care"
And "My violence is a sleeping head, nodding out to rising bliss, i left home for experience, carved suk for honesty on my chest"
And of course, the Washing Machine Tshirt. Its better than the album.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2007, 10:43 PM   #26
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
This is a great thread, and I'll name as many as I can, but these are not the only things I enjoy by any means:

-Harmonics / Kim & Lee's dissonant voices in I Dreamed I Dream
-Steve's added percussion on the live versions of "Shaking Hell"
-Just about all of Brother James
-World Looks Red live
-Droning sound/Lee's acoustic in Ghost Bitch
-"fuck. the word is... love"
-Intro to Tom Violence
-Harmonics and Kim's whispers in Shadow of a Doubt
-basically all of Starpower
-Intro of Green Light
-Kim's part of Schizophrenia
-Midsection of Catholic Block
-all of Beauty Lies
-all of Stereo Sanctity
-not to sound super cliche, but pretty much all of Daydream. seriously. especially the riff in the beginning of The Sprawl which sounds kind of like the guitar part during "I wanna know" in 'Cross the Breeze and the verse guitar part of Candle
-Outro of Dirty Boots, all of Tunic, koolness of Kool Thing, crazy part of Disappearer
-Bass lines in 100%, Youth Against Fascism, all of JC
-harmonics / all of Becuz, outro of Unwind, Bass line of Panty Lies
-Intro to Sunday, all of Hoarfrost/Karen Koltrane, Bass line in Hits, most of Heather Angel
-Crazy scratches in Lightnin', intro part of Free City Rhymes, all of NYC G&F
-just about all of Murray save plastic sun
-guitar madness in Pattern, especially intro, harmonics in Unmade Bed, riffs in Stones, dreaminess of ILYGB
-Midsection of Reena, bass line in Rats, when the guitars/bass kick in on Pink Steam

-Stil
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2007, 04:03 AM   #27
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I like HELLOOO part in the beginning in one of the evol songs.
Old 06.02.2007, 02:34 PM   #28
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
The moment when the Indro to Bad Moon Rising falls into Brave Men Run, I'm obsessed with that.
The whole of Disappearer, makes me feel all warm inside.
Every last second of EVOL, especially the doors shutting? in Secret Girl and springy guitar noises, ah magic
Shadow of a doubt, so beautiful and insane at the same time.
Brother James, Love Kims vocals on that!
Teenage Riot, Perfection, great to dance to (especially when you are on your own!)
Expressway to your skull, Full volume and off onto another planet! Wahoo!
Death Valley 69 cos it scares some of my friends!
The Goo videos i love, the silliness of it all
Wish Fullfillment, One of my favourite Lee songs
I'm done for the moment
Old 06.02.2007, 02:42 PM   #29
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Oh and the lyrics to I Love Her All The Time
You would think they were outta place with the rest of the album, but thats why i love it!
Old 06.03.2007, 04:54 AM   #30
lalie
bad moon rising

lalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline hobo
the blissed out ending, where it seems that kim's character has ascended to heaven cos she's just too cool to stick around here.

Ah yes, I've always thought that about the Sprawl.

And actually I've got this feeling too at the end of Cross' the breeze, when that sound of "elevator" starting at 6:20 finally takes her to some higher place.

lalie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2007, 06:18 AM   #31
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
-Mote's insane riffs and disturbingly brilliant noise part at the end
-Thurston's voice in Tom Violence and the little "PING" you hear in the middle noise part
-The intro of Kill your idols
-The intro of Teenage riot "Miss me don't dismiss me"
-The ending of Dirty Boots
-The brilliant solo in Patter Recognition
-The fucked up lyrics in Sugar Kane and Hyperstation
-The noise in the beginning of Dripping Dream
-Kim's beautifull voice in I love you Golden Blue
Old 06.03.2007, 06:44 AM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, tom violence, one of my fav. sonic youth songs.

one i wanted to add but forgot is the GODLIKE music being played during the song washing machine... the lyrics, especially in the first part, is not really my thing, but the music is just unbelievable.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2007, 07:05 AM   #33
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Sister, the whole album :
Catholic block intro and stampede, Stereo Sanctity's riff, Tuff Gnarl 's end, White Kross... I can listen to it every day without growing weary (I know I'm mad).

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2007, 10:05 AM   #34
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
- the scary guitar in the beginning of "she's in a bad mood"
- The noise part in the begining of "brave men run" where it seems that the studio is collapsing
- When the riff came back after the noise in "silver rocket"
- Larsens from "No queen Blues" intro
- The way Kim sings "Halloween"
- The bass in "rats"
and so much things ...
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2007, 11:27 AM   #35
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
yeah, tom violence, one of my fav. sonic youth songs.
My violence is a dream, a real dream.
The noise part in the middle is insane.
Old 06.03.2007, 01:23 PM   #36
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i forgot the stupidity of their version of nic fit

the irreverence of their versions of the youth brigade song on tv shit

the inherent beauty of silver session

the selfishness and indulgence on the syr series has to be respected

the ability to work hard 365 days a year and still have happy family lives

thei approach towards their fans, always friendly allegedly, i can only vouch for steve, a gentleman!

ciccone youth, the comedy and the riffs.....

and their love of contemporary music of all genres

i think ive covered everything....
Old 06.03.2007, 01:24 PM   #37
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpro
I can't think of any other band that has made such great music for so long.

sorry to nit pick rich but the fall????????????

sy are more consistent tho.....
Old 06.03.2007, 01:38 PM   #38
sarramkrop

They were consistently very good up to Sonic Nurse. After that, I've lost interest but I have still the most respect for them . My focus is on how they survived the business of making music in an incredibly hostile world for so many years. The cracks seemed to show on Sonic Nurse, but the longevity and the quality of their music is a slap in the face to most rock bands that do the rounds, this or other days. Noone else did it, and in the well estlablished outerdom of most western music, they did. Credit where it's due.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2007, 02:34 PM   #39
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i was thinking about starting exactly the same thread for a while..
i have countless favourite sy moments but heres my top 5
- everytime kim blows her trumpet - invito al cielo especially
- in washing machine when kim sings ' And then I looked up at her
I looked up...' and then thurstons guitar comes in - ah man thats just pure beauty - and the whole song of course
- 3 part sectional love seat - probably my fav sonic instrumental
- second part of marylin moore (actually the whol song)
- the first ten minutes of radio amatoroj

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2007, 03:14 PM   #40
sarramkrop

I only have three obsessions in my life: Sonic Youth,The Velvet Underground and Andy Warhol.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth