Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Feelies thanks SY
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.12.2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.expressnightout.com/conte...ng_the_dro.php

Strum and Drum: The Feelies Bring the Drone

WHICH IS THE definitive Feelies lineup: the quartet that debuted with 1980's "Crazy Rhythms" or the five-piece that emerged from the studio with 1986's "The Good Earth"?
At the core of both groups were Bill Million and Glenn Mercer. During the band's early '80s hiatus, the two stayed together, doing soundtrack work, collaborating with other musicians and honing their sound.
"There was a period where we started writing parts for percussion, with the idea that we wanted to downplay the use of cymbals in our music," Million recalls.
The cymbals didn't play nice with the Stratocasters both guitarists were using. The Strat is versatile, but its pickups are noisy, and the treble blazes like a magnesium flare. No doubt Fender's classic ax shaped the fevered strum that often propelled songs past the five-minute mark.

"I think it was just the sound of both of those guitars that when you put [them] together with a ride cymbal ... it had a way of canceling everything out, and you couldn't distinguish the finer points of an arrangement," Million explains.
Million switched to Gibson. The rhythm section became bassist Brenda Sauter, drummer Stanley Demeski and percussionist Dave Weckerman. That was the group that stayed together until 1991, and that's the band that will play the 9:30 Club Saturday.
Mercer had long urged a reunion, but it wasn't until last year that it happened. And once again, it's time to thank Thurston. "We had an offer to play on July Fourth with Sonic Youth, and I was kind of reluctant to play with a commitment," Million says. "Thurston Moore was very adamant about having the band, and he pretty much wouldn't take no for an answer."
Now there are new songs and plans to reissue early albums. Expect catalog faves and classic covers that can outshine originals by the likes of Patti Smith and even the Beatles. Also expect furious blasts and the meticulously slow-building rave-ups that are a <A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSo3wgmbFQc"">Feelies trademark.
"I'd be kind of hesitant to overanalyze what we do," Million says. "We've always been really into the intros and outros of songs, I can tell you that."
» <A href="http://www.expressnightout.com/thescene/details.php?venueid=796196">9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW; with Shrubs, Sat., Mar. 15, 7 p.m. (doors), $20; 202-265-0930. (U St.-Cardozo)
Written by Express contributor Glenn Dixon
Photo courtesy Benjamin Mcdonald Clayton
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth