Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2016, 10:35 AM   #2281
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
nice dood.

I really don't go to shows anymore. I've probably been to a handful in the last 10 years. I was all about it in my 20's. Don't know. Just not really into it any more. Funny as it may seem, I'm much more content to listen to an album alone than see a live performance with hundreds of other people.

I'm not jabbing at you sev, just rambling about getting old haha.
Old 06.21.2016, 08:19 PM   #2282
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
nice dood.

I really don't go to shows anymore. I've probably been to a handful in the last 10 years. I was all about it in my 20's. Don't know. Just not really into it any more. Funny as it may seem, I'm much more content to listen to an album alone than see a live performance with hundreds of other people.

I'm not jabbing at you sev, just rambling about getting old haha.

No, no worries man. I feel the EXACT same way. Shows are a goddamn headache most of the time. In my 20's, there was rarely a week that went by where I wasn't either playing in or attending a concert or two. I saw hundreds of bands back then. But now, there are only a few artists that I'd bother to travel to an arena for.

Kanye West is #1 on that list, because I've never fucking seen him. I caught some glimpses of his set at a festival many many moons ago, but I wasn't into him at the time, and I was actively avoiding his performance, so I certainly don't count that.

I totally know where you're coming from. I actually don't relish the idea of crossing state lines to see a big show in a fairly unknown area, but I strongly feel that I need to see Kanye West while I still can. Last several years I've kept a pretty low show-going profile, seeing "smaller" acts only, like Low and Swans a few times each, and old faves like Melvins or Ghostface when they come around.

I'm pretty goddamn pumped about this though. seriously.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2016, 10:10 PM   #2283
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Gibbs a few weeks ago and he either yelled the lyrics with a DJ playing the beats on the background, or rapped his verses in accapella really fast. It was extremely crowded and the sound was messed up.. so yeah, I couldn't help but think about how I'd much rather enjoy one of his albums at home.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2016, 02:22 AM   #2284
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
im definitely liking this Game. a lot

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2016, 06:58 AM   #2285
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
im definitely liking this Game. a lot

samesies. I almost feel like the fact that it's a low stakes release made him just sort of gather some buddies and make an album for fun and that shows. Nice and breezy.

Also, did you guys hear the new Bishop Nehru? I heard a track yesterday on my Spotify "discover" playlist and it was fantastic.
Old 06.22.2016, 08:09 AM   #2286
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I saw Gibbs a few weeks ago and he either yelled the lyrics with a DJ playing the beats on the background, or rapped his verses in accapella really fast. It was extremely crowded and the sound was messed up.. so yeah, I couldn't help but think about how I'd much rather enjoy one of his albums at home.

Speaking of Gibbs... should we even get in to the rape allegations that one's facing? Pretty unnerving, to be sure.
Old 06.22.2016, 08:16 AM   #2287
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
samesies. I almost feel like the fact that it's a low stakes release made him just sort of gather some buddies and make an album for fun and that shows. Nice and breezy.

Also, did you guys hear the new Bishop Nehru? I heard a track yesterday on my Spotify "discover" playlist and it was fantastic.

Incidentally, I officially quit Spotify yesterday. Cancelled my premium account for the first time since 2012 I think. I still had some time left on my current month, but I just deleted the app altogether.

I pay for Apple Music now, and I'm Apple is so thoroughly entrenched in my life that I wanted to give it a shot as my go to for steaming. I almost never listens to Spotify anyway, and it's been years since they recommended me anything I wasn't already into. Apple Music isn't quite as user friendly yet, but the playlists show me new names every once in a while.

Meh.
Old 06.22.2016, 09:12 AM   #2288
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I find Apple "the company" fascinating.

I hate Apple products, tho.
Old 06.22.2016, 12:36 PM   #2289
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Speaking of Gibbs... should we even get in to the rape allegations that one's facing? Pretty unnerving, to be sure.
I don't believe it. I read there's footage of that chick walking with him to the hotel room willingly. So I think she's just looking for a quick cash grab..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2016, 07:15 PM   #2290
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I find Apple "the company" fascinating.

I hate Apple products, tho.

Ah, I love Apple. I've never been a big brand loyalist, but I have a few exceptions, and Apple is one of them. Ever since I bought my first iPhone, I have been all in. I had a MacBook at that point, and a couple of iPods, but it was the iPhone that really made me say fuck everything else.

Now, I almost never use a non Apple device. Thankfully I work in a newsroom, so we're all Apple at work, and I love it. It's seamless. I'm a bit of an Apple whore I guess. Not because I think it's a social symbol or anything like that. I just LOVE the functionality and performance of the products. Granted, iTunes and Apple Music could use some work, but in terms of quick computing and cloud access for professionals who don't give a shit about video games but still appreciate a kickass display and a really solid design, Apple is just it.

Not that you asked.

I also really like the North Face. I buy North Face coats and spend disastrous, absurd amounts of money on them, but they're fucking worth it.

I'm, like, negative punk at this point in my life.
Old 06.22.2016, 08:12 PM   #2291
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Eh i have always been a tinkerer and gamer. Apple doesnt mesh with those things.
Old 06.22.2016, 08:24 PM   #2292
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ah, I love Apple. I've never been a big brand loyalist, but I have a few exceptions, and Apple is one of them. Ever since I bought my first iPhone, I have been all in. I had a MacBook at that point, and a couple of iPods, but it was the iPhone that really made me say fuck everything else.

Now, I almost never use a non Apple device. Thankfully I work in a newsroom, so we're all Apple at work, and I love it. It's seamless. I'm a bit of an Apple whore I guess. Not because I think it's a social symbol or anything like that. I just LOVE the functionality and performance of the products. Granted, iTunes and Apple Music could use some work, but in terms of quick computing and cloud access for professionals who don't give a shit about video games but still appreciate a kickass display and a really solid design, Apple is just it.

Not that you asked.

I also really like the North Face. I buy North Face coats and spend disastrous, absurd amounts of money on them, but they're fucking worth it.

I'm, like, negative punk at this point in my life.

sell out bastard

Old 06.22.2016, 08:26 PM   #2293
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

and i LOATHE macs

the OS is just so damned needlessly ass backwards its ridiculous. and my $30 android STILL out performs all my friends iPhones on almost every day to day task, and i am not even exaggerating

Old 06.22.2016, 09:18 PM   #2294
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
and i LOATHE macs

the OS is just so damned needlessly ass backwards its ridiculous. and my $30 android STILL out performs all my friends iPhones on almost every day to day task, and i am not even exaggerating

That's weird. I actually have a couple of android phones. One cheapo backup phone for emergencies, and one Droid model. Also an HTC Evo from a few years back. They all eat shit compared to every 4G level iPhone I've ever used. The difference is appalling. In quality, design, functionality, camera, everything. Also the Droid developed a dead spot just from regular daily use. My iPhone 5 and 5s both still function perfectly, and run the newest version of iOS, while all those android phones were using an outdated operating system within 6 months. I'm going on 3 years with the 5s, and I use it as my go to phone even though I got a 6s from my employer for work. That thing just sits and looks pretty. I don't even need to use it yet, and the 7 will be out in just a few months.

But it all depends on what you like, what you need to do, and so on. But overall, I loathe open source apps, and prefer an App Store that regulates content more strictly.
Old 06.22.2016, 09:31 PM   #2295
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yes yes it of course comes down to preference. Im on like my 7th droid. I love the os. I dont understand my wifes iphone. I hate walled off os's etc. Just my mindset as a tinkering nerd.
Old 06.22.2016, 10:49 PM   #2296
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

what i always loved most about Game is he the first true local rapper on the bigtime. even Kendrick and School Boy don't drop enough LA locals only and in particular Hood AF only references. i mean, y'all probably have no idea when Game even mentions it but i grew up in these neighborhoods and streets, i know all the references dropped and it makes me love it so much

Old 06.22.2016, 10:52 PM   #2297
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

haha i remember in ealry 90s when they changed tje name of Compton Blvd which runs through the neighborhood i grew up in to "Somerset Blvd" because of all the negative publicity about the C-P-T..

Old 06.22.2016, 10:52 PM   #2298
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

those of us old enough still call it Compton Blvd

Old 06.22.2016, 10:56 PM   #2299
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

and i was talking about Mac OS that sucks soooooooo much dick, as to iOS i can't say definitively i ve never tried to use it personally

Old 06.22.2016, 11:22 PM   #2300
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
thoughts on things...

Game - the more I listen to this one, the more I like it. I mean, it's this weird stopgap release. I didn't even know it existed until about a week before it dropped. No fanfare. No hype. Cameos by dudes I never heard of. Fantastic beat selection. Just really pleased with this.

Game went quasi-conscious on Documentary 2, with this Streets of Compton its honestly the most straight up gangsta and ruthless record I heard outside of local hood mixtapes in ten years, possibly fifteen. I mean literally, you'd have to be in a gang to honestly get like half of it. It feels entirely like a "local" rap project with ZERO intentions of if anyone else "gets it", its some shit to bump sitting in front of the pad with the homiez drinking brewz. i love it

Quote:
Chili Peppers - First listen was good. I know most of you don't care about RHCP or whatever, but I'm happy w/ this album. Dangermouse producing is a cool fit. Feels like sort of a throwback to the funk-dance stuff they were doing pre-Blood Sugar in a way.
I heard the single, I hate to say it but its getting to be boring. It just sounds like slightly tweaked versions of what they did fifteen years ago... I'm willing to give the record a try, but it strikes me as becoming more like those boring nostalgia records rather then some kind of legitimately "new" stuff or progression the way No Cities To Love was..

Quote:

Radiohead - I finally heard this cuz it's on Spotify now. Pretty damn great. I might (MIGHT) like it more than King Of Limbs and In Rainbows. Well maybe not In Rainbows. We'll see...
This is a masterpiece, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I listened to it literally every single day for over two weeks after it came out. Still listen to it several times a week. I honestly have not had the kind of "first listen" experience about a record like this in a long long time. Its restored my hope and curiosity in obtaining new musics

Quote:
Spinhead Sessions - is f'ing glorious. Unearthed instrumentals from 86? It doesn't get much better.

Speaking of which, I need to get this and Swans already, I am just being lazy I have the money.

at this point, only half a year in, I feel I an say that 2016 has been a better year for music in my mind than 2015 was.[/quote]

65105112113114 115 116117118125165 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth