Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.24.2019, 09:27 PM   #2461
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m pretty sure black people are still “the N-word.” Only people I can recall recently being criminally punished on trumped up charges are black civilians.

The difference?

IF the Tambor accusations — from Walter and his assistant on TP and the four or five others who’ve spoken up — then he *resigned by choice from his successful TV show and went to one of his other succesful TV shows,* the poor baby.

Those black men?
Yeah, they were gunned down in the street for no reason. En masse. In record numbers, all across the country.

The resulting nonviolent resistance movement? Black Lives Matter? Yeah, it’s considered domestic terrorism by right-wingers and police.

SURE IS THE SAME SITUATION, AMIRITE?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2019, 09:28 PM   #2462
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
no, ok, yes, i’m trolling because im fucking fed up and having a bit of an ideological crisis

this whole thing about treating people as CLASSES does not sit right with me, not at all.

i mean: allen, weinstein, c.k., tambor: jews

that will be next
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2019, 09:29 PM   #2463
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Don’t bother replying if you’re just going to fart out of your fingertips more. I expect more from you. Discussion at the very least.

And I’m not triggered or offended. I’m just disappointed in your reasoning and your argument.
Old 02.24.2019, 09:30 PM   #2464
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
no, ok, yes, i’m trolling because im fucking fed up and having a bit of an ideological crisis

this whole thing about treating people as CLASSES does not sit right with me, not at all.

i mean: allen, weinstein, c.k., tambor: jews

that will be next

Yeah, I struggle with it too. Believe me. It doesn’t sit well with me either.
Old 02.24.2019, 09:31 PM   #2465
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m pretty sure black people are still “the N-word.” Only people I can recall recently being criminally punished on trumped up charges are black civilians.

The difference?

IF the Tambor accusations — from Walter and his assistant on TP and the four or five others who’ve spoken up — then he *resigned by choice from his successful TV show and went to one of his other succesful TV shows,* the poor baby.

Those black men?
Yeah, they were gunned down in the street for no reason. En masse. In record numbers, all across the country.

The resulting nonviolent resistance movement? Black Lives Matter? Yeah, it’s considered domestic terrorism by right-wingers and police.

SURE IS THE SAME SITUATION, AMIRITE?

yes, “liberals” (false label) are starting to behave the same way as the old racists. not is the same criminal way but in the same mode of thought.

treating people as classes not as individuals.

yep. this is my complaint.

it’s a slow descent, but i smell it

i understand the historical reasons, the fighting fire with fire, i do

but it does not bode well for reason. nope. political expediency comes first.
Old 02.24.2019, 09:36 PM   #2466
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, I struggle with it too. Believe me. It doesn’t sit well with me either.
but it was in your argument see.

it is distorting

it is the current mode of thought

liberals are becoming bolsheviks. it’s been a long brewing process but it’s happening now.

everyone is going to the extremes
Old 02.24.2019, 09:45 PM   #2467
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

also i remember how liberals used to be “soft on crime” and made up excuses: wronged by society. victim of circumstances. left with no choice. etc etc.

was it too soft? did it allow too much and looked the other way and let shit go on? and was hillary a rape enabler after all?

but now it’s the opposite. now everyone is evil, guilty, and unforgivable. and their demise is justified by the social good ahead of us, when everyone will be good and pure.

remember how the french revolution degenerated into the terror? in the name of utopia?
Old 02.24.2019, 09:58 PM   #2468
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
but it was in your argument see.

it is distorting

it is the current mode of thought

liberals are becoming bolsheviks. it’s been a long brewing process but it’s happening now.

everyone is going to the extremes

I am not on that extreme, and I’m troubled by the same extremism. Any extremism is a fucked up and a recipe for political and social disaster.

I’m OK with this instance because Tambor’s life wasn’t ruined, and he left by choice. I feel that’s appropriate if half the women you’re working with are saying you harassed them.

He’s not Spacey. He’s not blacklisted. His life isn’t over. He just left a show. I don’t think it’s extremism to not shed tears about it.

But I’m conflicted too. About all of it.

I really don’t have any of the answers, but this seems like not an unjust solution — Tambor leaving of his own volition. Just doesn’t keep me up at night the way other situations do.

Calling for violence against anyone in any instance other than the defense of yourself or someone in need is horrifying, and I have friend who think I’m a goddamn Nazi sympathizer because I don’t think it’s OK to punch strangers in MAGA hats. Do I want to smack a MAGA troll? Sure. But that’s fantasy. Doing it is not why I am about, and not what many of my friends were about when they started to develop their political identities. They’ve changed, many of them. It grosses me out.

If anyone can say anyone is a Nazi because they voted for Trump, and anyone can say anyone is anything because of what they are, that’s not OK.

Again, I’m anti-extremism in all forms.
Old 02.24.2019, 10:09 PM   #2469
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
STOP OPPRESSING ME, WHITE MAN

IM TRIGGERED

J’ACCUSE
Quote:
OOOOH RACIST WHITE MALE
CALLED ME FRIENDO
SURELY A SLUR
Quote:
ABLEIST

APOLOGIZE. NOW

Dear god, are you a 14 year old who's just discovered Reddit?
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2019, 10:22 PM   #2470
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I am not on that extreme, and I’m troubled by the same extremism. Any extremism is a fucked up and a recipe for political and social disaster.

I’m OK with this instance because Tambor’s life wasn’t ruined, and he left by choice. I feel that’s appropriate if half the women you’re working with are saying you harassed them.

He’s not Spacey. He’s not blacklisted. His life isn’t over. He just left a show. I don’t think it’s extremism to not shed tears about it.

But I’m conflicted too. About all of it.

I really don’t have any of the answers, but this seems like not an unjust solution — Tambor leaving of his own volition. Just doesn’t keep me up at night the way other situations do.

Calling for violence against anyone in any instance other than the defense of yourself or someone in need is horrifying, and I have friend who think I’m a goddamn Nazi sympathizer because I don’t think it’s OK to punch strangers in MAGA hats. Do I want to smack a MAGA troll? Sure. But that’s fantasy. Doing it is not why I am about, and not what many of my friends were about when they started to develop their political identities. They’ve changed, many of them. It grosses me out.

If anyone can say anyone is a Nazi because they voted for Trump, and anyone can say anyone is anything because of what they are, that’s not OK.

Again, I’m anti-extremism in all forms.
the thing is, in the speech of the left, a rich white hetero cis male is guiltier than a poor lesbian afro mayan disabled trans woman. it’s intersectionality reversed: the higher you are in the hierarchy of oppression the riper you are for chastisement by the mob.

and i get the historical reasons for this, and i get the get that the rich white men still have most of the weapons anyway. but when liberals who are supposed to be for the supremacy of the individual, for fair trials and proportional punishments, for equality before the law, abandon all pretense of principle in the name of virtue, then i have nobody left to trust,

im gonna come back to copypasta a bit of robespierre straight from wikipedia. but i gotta go do something first.
Old 02.24.2019, 10:32 PM   #2471
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
You're not being hated for being a cis white male!
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and it just happens to be that most of the people in power are cis white men. I'm not saying that you're more likely to be violent and sexual predators, just that you're more likely to get away with it.

We're just trying to fix this:

Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2019, 11:01 PM   #2472
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
You're not being hated for being a cis white male!
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and it just happens to be that most of the people in power are cis white men. I'm not saying that you're more likely to be violent and sexual predators, just that you're more likely to get away with it.

We're just trying to fix this:

it doesnt work that way anymore kid

read the news

this is the ideological leader of the democratic party:

normally i’d be superproud of of this boricua, and i was momentarily, but she spews so much ignorant nonsense it’s becoming embarrassing.

the new bolshevik democrats of course eat it up. even if it makes zero sense.

also: you’re white
Old 02.24.2019, 11:31 PM   #2473
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

so, sev

just read this,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_Terror

the philosophical foundations of it are... disturbingly familiar

and check out the voltaire quote
Old 02.24.2019, 11:34 PM   #2474
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
So How About All That Tv Y'all Are Watching?
Old 02.25.2019, 08:43 AM   #2475
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
so, sev

just read this,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_Terror

the philosophical foundations of it are... disturbingly familiar

and check out the voltaire quote

So, I’m familiar with the Reign of Terror, the French Revolution and the insidious inverse in ideals that led to the former from the latter, but what I don’t see is a Voltaire quote, so maybe just tell me because I’m not reading that whole page.

Trust me, though, I get what you’re saying. I guess I’m not in a position where I’m comfortable taking any kind of hard stance on it. In my mind, when multiple women accuse the same person of the same kind of behavior, it doesn’t necessarily mean that person did those things and should go to jail (that would be for the flawed but still necessary court system to decide) but I would say that it precipitating the resignation of that person is fair, and not an extreme reaction.

And I share your concern about modern — especially young — next-gen liberals and their penchant for extremism and defending rights violations of the people’s whose rights are being violated are Republicans/Trump voters/“Nazis”/“fascists” because it’s just as fascistic to support the removal of assholes’ rights as it is to support the removal of innocents’ rights.

But I don’t think we’re stoking a revolution fire quite yet. Though, clearly there is a growing mentality that the weapons of the oppressors OK when used by the oppressed, and while that might seem fair at first blush, it is not how America works.

The ACLU defends the rights of assholes like the KKK and white nationalists in freedom of speech, after all.

Still, all of this makes me very uncomfortable. I feel like there’s a very fine line between being critical of jumping to conclusions regarding guilt of white men and being a victim-shamer. That’s a fucked little binary right there.

I can only assume that was an AOC image —it didn’t show up, FYI — and yeah, of course there’s some nonsense coming from that side of the political spectrum right now, but there are also a lot of healthy ideas and expressions. However, again, I’m against all forms of extremism, but there’s also a natural order tothis kind of thing. We have a rich, white male who has gotten away with harrassment and sexual misconduct sitting in the Oval Office, and as long as we don’t effectively police people in those positions, people are going to eventually get sick of it and call for their heads.

Not that I support that, but as long as cis white males rule unchecked, there’s going to be fucking hostility.

In truth, you can blame the law, blame the courts for all of this. If the law was the law, and criminal sexual conduct was punished appropriately and not forgiven or ignored, would any of this even be an issue?
Old 02.25.2019, 08:44 AM   #2476
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113

Still Transparent. Binge-watched through a blizzard. Almost done.

Then I’ll watch the finale of True Detective season 3, which I can’t fucking even begin to imagine how they wrap up in one final hour, but wrap up they did.
Old 02.25.2019, 01:10 PM   #2477
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Not that I support that, but as long as cis white males rule unchecked, there’s going to be fucking hostility.
as long as we continue to judge individuals as categories, we’re digging our own moral and intellectual grave
Old 02.25.2019, 01:18 PM   #2478
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
latest british bakeoff available on netflix. that shit is getting me to eat cake. which is very dangerous for me. cuz sugar is my crack.

maybe i should change shows

breaking bad season 2 rewatch is great.

recently finished VANITY FAIR with some chick olivia cooke (very pretty, fits the part i guess?)

i have never read this novel but this adaptation is a great story regardless of source.

michael palin as old william thackeray is such a strange sight. man, he looks ooooold.

anyway good show. their contemporary covers of classic pop tunes are a decent soundtrack—dylan, joy division, etc. anachronic but works great for my taste,
Old 02.25.2019, 01:50 PM   #2479
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

My wife grew up a huge Luis Miguel fanatic. Luis Miguel executive produced a series based on his life (Luis MIguel: La Serie) which is available worldwide on Netflix, but no available for viewing in USA, probably because of stupid copyright issues etc.

For Valentine's Day I "gathered" up all 13 episodes of the first season, and placed them on a flash drive with Luis Mi's face on it as a gift.

We have seen about 8 episodes so far. Good stuff, very well made, and quite blunt and honest about Luis Miguel's shortcomings and the issues he dealt with as the forced child star by his overbearing dad.

The show really hits home for my wife as she is getting inside info, which I could give a shit about, but I am enjoying the show, and especially hearing Luis Miguel's dad, a Puerto Rican, speak in the extremely loud, fast, aggressive Puertorrican manner. It reminds me so much of my family members, especially the hard-asses.

(it is extremely rare to hear a true Puerto Rican accent on any TV, even latino TV)

I am not a fan of his music, but the dude can sing with the best of them.

Luis Miguel is half Puerto Rican, half spanish, born in Puerto Rico but raised in Mexico and self-identifies as Mexican.

what a mix!
Old 02.27.2019, 10:42 AM   #2480
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

cohenTV!

lol
74114121122123 124 125126127134174 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth