Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page attn: computer nerds; please help me make XP faster
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.16.2009, 04:39 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
im trying not to post anymore here but that piece of macbook pro ballsac just died on me.

i am getting the color wheel of death within 60 seconds of booting, no matter what i do.

so now i have to go to that craphole known as "the apple store". what a piece of shit afternoon this will be.

listen to me, you fucking fanboi fool:

APPLE HARDWARE IS A PIECE OF SHIT

Aren't most such problems solved by getting a mate with a Mac to run your hard-drive as a slave, get all the information off and re-format everything?

Ultimately though, I agree with you. Apple are, if at all, only marginally less mercenary a company than Microsoft. The choice should come down to application - arty things, music, go with Mac; games, internets, word processing - PC; abject masochism - Ubuntu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 04:59 PM   #42
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Aren't most such problems solved by getting a mate with a Mac to run your hard-drive as a slave, get all the information off and re-format everything?

Ultimately though, I agree with you. Apple are, if at all, only marginally less mercenary a company than Microsoft. The choice should come down to application - arty things, music, go with Mac; games, internets, word processing - PC; abject masochism - Ubuntu.

arty things go with mac? im trying to edit video for fuck's sakes. macs eat shit. final cut pro eats shit too-- avid is better. protools runs on both.

I'M GETTING A THINKPAD AS SOON AS I GET SOME MONEY.

so i booted in safe mode-- it cacked when i opend a folder. i suspect hardware failure-- leaking caps on the motherboard, faulty power supply, ram taking a shit, focked hard drive. something. my friend's HD died 3 days after the warranty had expired.

the thing with apple is not that they are less mercenary-- they are MORE mercenary. they try to sell you utter and complete shit at every turn. they are like california drug pushers offering you "good stuff" and then "better stuff" that will cost you double.

they are a more mercenary cuz they make shit that's defective by design, like the fucking battery that fell on my lap 3 weeks or so ago-- it's held by tape now, cuz it was held by a flimsy piece of shitty soft metal and "fixing it" is not covered by warranty and costs over $600 (not sure in pounds).

IM GETTING A NEW THINKPAD AS SOON AS I GET SOME MONEY.

those suckers are built to last.

oh yeah-- vista business, here i come, apple and their marketing whoredom can go eat a decroded piece of shit.

i'm going to need some whisky tonight, holy mother of fuck.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 05:31 PM   #43
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Snow Leopard is giving me dropped connections. Shit sucks.

But the only time I've ever heard had hardware issues is Mac's shitty magsafe meltdown problem. Worst part about that it that they stopped replacing them outside of warranty so people have to shell out 80 bucks for a new one.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 05:34 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Design-wise, certainly more mercenary; business model, MS win. But yeah, sacks of crap, the lot of 'em.

I've had Vista for a fair while now, and had no significant problems. Nothing that you wouldn't expect. Battery life is a bit cack, CPU gets caned if you've got too much running, but nothing that a smidge of tinkering didn't fix.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.16.2009, 05:35 PM   #45
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Final Cut Pro actually rules. Garageband rules, too. Those come with the computer, right? I want a Mac.

Personally, I use VirtualDub for editing (though Adobe After Effects is where to go if you're interested in thousands of VST plugins you'll never use) and Adobe Audition/Fruity Loops for music on mah comp.

I want a mac!

...I use ME, though. Maybe I should try a later version of Windows at some point. Oh, I've tried Vista. I didn't understand why I had to give Windows permission 10 times just to open a jpeg file.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 08:17 PM   #46
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
well I'm a fucking idiot. Somehow. Somehow I managed to make it so that even though I had a detectable connection, I couldn't get online. It took me going back through 2 restore points (and over an hour) to correct this.

I really think my next computer might be a Mac. As much as I felt I was awesome for not giving in.
Old 09.16.2009, 08:23 PM   #47
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
1. Buy a second hard drive.
2. Put everything you want to keep on it.
3. Reformat and reinstall windows on your old HD
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 09:01 PM   #48
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
all my music is on my external hardrive.

EDIT: so i don't give a fuck bout the computer itself.
Old 09.16.2009, 09:09 PM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hee heh heh

"ballsac".

Old 09.16.2009, 09:27 PM   #50
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
im trying not to post anymore here

cleverly disguised hiatus-post?

why so srs?

PROTIP: COMPUTERS ARE SHIT
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 09:50 PM   #51
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
From The Top Eight Computer Myths!:

You don't need to defragment your hard drive very often. Modern drive optimisers like Windows 98's Defrag which position program data according to how often you use it can, indeed, improve performance a bit, but there's no reason for even a heavily used computer to be defragmented every week, or even every month. Yes, it'll be faster if you do. But the difference will probably be tiny.
Hard drive performance in toto makes very little difference to system performance, on machines with adequate physical RAM. The difference in performance between unfragmented and moderately fragmented drives is small, and the larger the drive, for a given level of filesystem activity, the less fragmentation it will suffer.
If you're using Windows NT or 2000 and NTFS-formatted drives, bear in mind that NTFS is famously insensitive to fragmentation - which is just as well, because it's hard to do anything with NTFS without it fragmenting data. This is why Microsoft claimed for so long that NTFS was immune to fragmentation, and no defrag utility was needed at all!
NTFS performs poorly on old drives with lousy seek speed, but the trade-off is that its performance as fragmentation increases remains quite steady. Once the NTFS Master File Table (MFT) becomes fragmented, you can indeed lose performance, but how much you lose still depends on what files are where and how you use the computer. Look at overall system performance, rather than just disk subsystem performance, and the difference due to fragmentation often fades into the noise.
How much effect fragmentation has on performance depends heavily on what files are fragmented, where the fragments lie, and what filesystem you're using. Generally speaking, the upshot of all this is that frequent ritualistic defragmentation, in the absence of a significant measured performance loss (not just how your computer "feels" to you), is, obviously, unnecessary.
Fragmentation certainly can severely degrade system performance, especially on Windows machines without enough physical RAM, or which are doing very disk-intensive tasks like serious database work or high data rate video editing. Defrag weekly, though, and you're probably just going to grow hair on the palms of your hands.

No one ever suggested he defrag weekly.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 09:53 PM   #52
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Design-wise, certainly more mercenary; business model, MS win. But yeah, sacks of crap, the lot of 'em.

I've had Vista for a fair while now, and had no significant problems. Nothing that you wouldn't expect. Battery life is a bit cack, CPU gets caned if you've got too much running, but nothing that a smidge of tinkering didn't fix.

Yeah & I've never had any problems with any Mac I've ever owned. Big deal, we can talk shit about how great or crappy our computers are all day. The reason I suggest Macs to people is because they always win customer satisfaction surveys. Every time. Therefore, even though there's a chance that someone will have a shitty experience with one, it's less than if they are using Windows.
Old 09.16.2009, 09:55 PM   #53
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
that's because customer satisfaction surveys are based on the fact that the computer is actually working.

ps: I have 2 macs and 3 pcs.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 10:35 PM   #54
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

i don't... care. I can't believe I'm arguing Mac vs PC. Just use what you want
Old 09.16.2009, 11:01 PM   #55
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
you guys did see how i put cadbury eggs as nuts and placed them in eyes in this thread right
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 11:03 PM   #56
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
All I'm going to say about mac and pc is:

If you know a lot of shit about computers in general, you probably will need to use that knowledge to troubleshoot your windows based pc. You will succeed sooner or later and feel vindicated in your battle versus the mighty microsoft.

With an apple, you don't need to know a lot of shit about computers to troubleshoot things, because rarely will have any problem with the software, internet, virus' etc.
BUT
If you do have a problem with your mac it will more than likely have to do with a battery losing charge, or something you wouldn't expect to break on a pc breaking on your mac.

I've used both pc's and mac's extensively and I prefer the interface of mac OS X over XP or Vista, not because it looks cooler or some bullshit excuse I saw in this thread, but because it really makes more sense to my brain and its easier for me to navigate.

I've never had a problem with a mac that wasn't covered under my warranty or apple care, but i know some folks that have, and all i can say is ALL CONSUMER LEVEL COMPUTERS ARE MASS PRODUCED, you are bound to have some fall the through the cracks pc or mac.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 11:06 PM   #57
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
yeah good post
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 03:24 AM   #58
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
im trying not to post anymore here but that piece of macbook pro ballsac just died on me.

i am getting the color wheel of death within 60 seconds of booting, no matter what i do.

so now i have to go to that craphole known as "the apple store". what a piece of shit afternoon this will be.

listen to me, you fucking fanboi fool:

APPLE HARDWARE IS A PIECE OF SHIT

Um Yeah, I think you should definitely go back to the Windows.

At least you didn't take out all of your frustration on me! Why is it that when someone favors Mac's over PC, they're dubbed "FanBoi"? Can you explain this. Where the fuck does that come from? Do you even know what you're talking about or just unconsciously babble out cliche' junior high nerd talk?

Ya' know, there's ways to trouble shoot a spinning wheel, which I am experienced with, but for your sakes, sorry.
FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 03:30 AM   #59
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

All I want to say to this thread is:

FUCK YEAH! SONATINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09.17.2009, 04:01 AM   #60
Glice
invito al cielo

I expect he's asleep, so I'll answer for !"£$% - I think the point that he and I agree upon is not one of 'oh, PCs are better than Macs' but the point that Shifty Prophet has also said, "ALL CONSUMER LEVEL COMPUTERS ARE MASS PRODUCED". Which is true. My criticism of both computers is that the companies behind them operate in exactly the way that large, multinational companies with (between them) near-total market monopoly (so probably worse than OPEC) do, ie, like bastards.

I typed this response using a Vista laptop. You may type yours on a Mac, if you so desire.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth