Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page check this dickhead!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2006, 11:05 AM   #1
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Thursday Jun 01, 2006</B>
Arts and Entertainment

New Sonic Youth album too toned down for some By Patrick Dolan
Staff Writer
Sonic Youth is back in action yet again with one of its most toned-down albums to date.
Gone is the moody, effervescent feel that soothed via "Sonic Nurse," and the onslaught of dissonant guitars that helped define a generation of drug-addled hipsters in the '80s is a thing of the past. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the band still can't make semi-interesting music.
Songwriting duties are divvyed up in the same similar fashion fans have come to love. Guitarist and singer Thurston Moore takes the cake with a handful of upbeat singsong tracks, and bassist/singer Kim Deal comes out swinging with her usual flamboyant bombast.
"Rats," Lee Ronaldo's contribution to the album, is another shining epic, but is overshadowed by catchier songs found elsewhere on the album.
The trick to liking Sonic Youth is to just lose oneself and not care about what's playing, no matter how absurd it may sound. But this delivery of songs seems to overreach and in a way negates the band's original mantra: to defeat the oversimplified melody machine and give a swift kick in the arse.
In essence, that's what the title of the album suggests. "Rather Ripped" probably stands for a drunken or disheveled state of mind, and the loud, droning guitars found on "Turquoise Boy" definitely point to an unnerving sense of liberation.
But is it always OK to play loud and not care about the consequences?
While the streaming flutter of notes on "Incinerate" and "Reena" have an indelible charm and might be enough for some diehard fans, many of the songs fall short and seem to lack that tumult of inspiration that once drove the band to soaring heights.
Here's a tip: Skip the first half of the album. What's found on the second half is much more redeeming and consistently fun.
patrick.dolan@mail.wvu.edu

he thinks Kim Deal is in Sonic Youth
everybody point and laugh!
we should all send him angry emails disputing his untrue facts.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:28 AM   #2
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Nah just leave to carry on making stupid music mistakes in front of.....Fuck it. Send him sodding e-mails.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
I've gotta break this apart...

Sonic Youth is back in action yet again with one of its most toned-down albums to date.
Okay. I agree with that.

Gone is the moody, effervescent feel that soothed via "Sonic Nurse,"

Loved Nurse but I don't think moody is the best adjective.

Songwriting duties are divvyed up in the same similar fashion fans have come to love. Guitarist and singer Thurston Moore takes the cake with a handful of upbeat singsong tracks, and bassist/singer Kim Deal
comes out swinging with her usual flamboyant bombast.
Yes, because the Kims look and sound so much alike. He should be demoted for that "oversight"

"Rats," Lee Ronaldo's contribution to the album, is another shining epic, but is overshadowed
Whoa whoa...overshadowed? Rats is as good as any other song on the album. I think we can all agree on that, regardless of our actual favorite.

The trick to liking Sonic Youth is to just lose oneself and not care about what's playing, no matter how absurd it may sound.
Maybe the Whitey album, but a few songs aside there's nothing absurd. And if I didn't care what was playing, I might as well be listening to the Bee-Gees. But I'm not.

But this delivery of songs seems to overreach and in a way negates the band's original mantra: to defeat the oversimplified melody machine and give a swift kick in the arse.
Does any band sound the same after 25 years?

and the loud, droning guitars found on "Turquoise Boy" definitely point to an unnerving sense of liberation.
What a minute, didn't I just read that you missed that part of SY?

But is it always OK to play loud and not care about the consequences?

Fucking make up your mind already.

While the streaming flutter of notes on "Incinerate" and "Reena" have an indelible charm and might be enough for some diehard fans
Actually a lot of die-hard fans are rather pissed about SY's new "indelible charm"

many of the songs fall short and seem to lack that tumult of inspiration that once drove the band to soaring heights.
They have new inspirations and they still can soar.

Here's a tip: Skip the first half of the album. What's found on the second half is much more redeeming and consistently fun.
Here's a tip: Know what you're talking about before you write your review. At least know the fucking band members name.

I want my 5 minutes back.
Old 06.01.2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
id always like to ask these journalists how they'd define good and innovative rock music nowdays?

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 08:31 PM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
It's just some student at West Virginia University. Give him a fucking break. Jesus.

http://www.da.wvu.edu/XMLParser/prin...phtml?id=22824

http://www.da.wvu.edu/

BTW, he also misspelled 'Ranaldo'.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
It's just some student at West Virginia University. Give him a fucking break. Jesus.

http://www.da.wvu.edu/XMLParser/prin...phtml?id=22824

http://www.da.wvu.edu/

BTW, he also misspelled 'Ranaldo'.

Fuck that...if he's going to persue a career in journalism, he needs to know that getting facts wrong (especially the band members' names) as well as going against his own opinion that he stated two sentences prior that he isn't going to amount to shit. I stand by that.
Old 06.01.2006, 10:27 PM   #7
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Most likely he's not pursuing a career in journalism, he's just an ignorant young music fan/college student.

I wrote a couple music reviews for a campus magazine at my university, and I certainly wasn't pursuing a career in journalism.

The review is terrible, I agree. But flaming this guy with emails is super lame. Tear the review apart, fine. Sending him emails is a little over-the-top, I think.
Old 06.01.2006, 10:37 PM   #8
Neongod
the destroyed room

Quote:
Most likely he's not pursuing a career in journalism, he's just an ignorant young music fan/college student.

I wrote a couple music reviews for a campus magazine at my university, and I certainly wasn't pursuing a career in journalism.

The review is terrible, I agree. But flaming this guy with emails is super lame. Tear the review apart, fine. Sending him emails is a little over-the-top, I think.

No emails from me, FYI. I agree with you completely on that. My criticism remains solely on this forum.
Old 06.01.2006, 10:40 PM   #9
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't you hear? Thurston fired Steve on bass and replaced him with Kim Deal.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 10:42 PM   #10
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Oh, OK. That's what I was getting at originally, sending him emails. Not tearing him a new one here.

Anyway, it's hard for me to believe that nobody at WVU has read the review and told somebody at the paper. I mean, colleges are full of SY fans, right? I also don't see why it's necessary to have their paper online.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:12 PM   #11
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Violence
Didn't you hear? Thurston fired Steve on bass and replaced him with Kim Deal.

ha ha

SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 02:09 AM   #12
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

right on..
nothing else to say..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 04:44 AM   #13
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

sending him Emails was totally over the top, 100% over the top, but i didnt actually mean we should do it, i was joking-looking for something to write really, i could of easily said we "should gather all the villagers with torches and march to his house and burn his house to the ground while his wife and kids are in bed"
but on a different note - career in journalism or not if your gonna write an "in depth" review of Rather Ripped you should at least be able to get the names of the band members right, like i mean, who in this day and age with the internet at everyones fingertips can say.."i could'nt actually find out the correct name of Sonic Youth's bass player"
the mispelling of Lee's name is trivial, i have terrible spelling myself and this comes from eating paint chips off the walls when i was a young lad, but i dunno about you guys, if i'm gonna put something up online for people to see (apart from this forum - which would be the exception cuz i dont really care to much if i get a spelling wrong here or there, you guys now know about my paint-chip obsession) i'm gonna have the facts right. otherwise, whats the point?

a little of this may be my fault though, my name is Jerry, but if i see it spelt Gerry i fuckin loose my mind, i'm probably only guessing Kim GORDON thinks the same.

but yr right, sending him e-mails is totally over the top - but i didnt really mean we should do it, i just love to shock, lets send him SYPHILIS instead.
Old 06.02.2006, 05:03 AM   #14
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
nah..
you shouldn't be offended jerry..

we knew it was a joke, but some didn't and it kinda snowballed from there..

and syphilis is a good idea..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 05:23 AM   #15
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
nah..
you shouldn't be offended jerry..

we knew it was a joke, but some didn't and it kinda snowballed from there..

and syphilis is a good idea..

cheers Candy, nice one man.
Old 06.02.2006, 06:13 AM   #16
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
"What would Europe been without the syphilis"

Jens Bjørneboe
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 09:44 AM   #17
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
What a fucking retard...
Old 06.02.2006, 10:30 AM   #18
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
he thinks Kim Deal is in Sonic Youth
everybody point and laugh!
we should all send him angry emails disputing his untrue facts.

HA...

HA
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 10:46 AM   #19
i'm a guitar
empty page

i'm a guitar ain't too shabbyi'm a guitar ain't too shabby
kim deal.......lee rOnaldo.........he forgot the thrustnon moore,,,the steven shelly,,,,,and 'the brand new guy' jimmy o'roke...........................................[some times when i'm talking very quick and exited a mistake the girls names too]
Old 06.02.2006, 01:15 PM   #20
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that's a pretty big mistake to make. Kim Deal is in Pixies, not Sonic Youth. What a dumb fuck. He's right about the album, though. It does come across as uninspired in some parts. Mostly the beginning of the album. There are some parts that are just lacking.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth