Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY = VU
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2010, 03:45 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think Jesus and Mary Chain were more like a modern VU, if we're talking boring, druggy, hazey, vaguely noisey but still accessible stuff.

Sonic Youth are way more interesting, as they've actually broken down barriers within the confines of rock music (VU did too, but in a much more narrow way). If anything, they're a modern day Captain Beefheart -- without sounding anything like the Captain, mind you. They have reconfigured the language of "rock" music, not just added some blackness to it, but actually pulled it completely inside out... created their own language, if you will.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 03:48 PM   #22
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
03. - angel of sin

only need a few years to live
only need a few things left to give
only need a mind left not to sell
only need anything

only need your heart girl
only need something that won't betray

<solo>

forsaken,
she walks in
she looks like an angel
an angel of my sin

her skin is smooth like cigarettes
her hair is like angel hair pasta that tastes nice when you chew on it also she dyed it green
i want to feel her love,
buzz
the smoke, touch me, i am yours
our hearts bleed into one
they melt into the candle
the candle that burns of our love

but you betrayed my broken soul
you fucked with my heart
i am the broken man
ghost of our dead love

why cant you feel anything?
you threw my poetry journal in the bin,
and my heart fell in with it
i had to ask the janitor after school would he open the bin for me so i could get it out
he said no, it had already been taken away by the garbadge men
again, i am betrayed by this fuckin society

only need anything,
left that she won't betray
ever day, the hell is longer
getting ready to leave this place
stay with me, by my side
my love shields you
from the lies
of this dead world
and we will be again
in our heart shaped box.
i will let you in
i will find away
the acne tears a hole
when i squeeze it, and it bleeds
try to kill it, with clearosil
but i remember, it doesnt work
what have i become?
my sweetest girl?
every girl i know, doesnt talk to me,
in the end.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 04:25 PM   #23
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Without knowing the context of this comparison, I will just say that I think Jesus and Mary Chain were more like a modern VU, if we're talking boring, druggy, hazey, vaguely noisey but still accessible stuff.

Sonic Youth are way more interesting, as they've actually broken down barriers within the confines of rock music (VU did too, but in a much more narrow way). If anything, they're a modern day Captain Beefheart -- without sounding anything like the Captain, mind you. They have reconfigured the language of "rock" music, not just added some blackness to it, but actually pulled it completely inside out... created their own language, if you will.

i would definitely say vu created their own musical language
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 04:26 PM   #24
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
youtube.com comments page for FLOSO - ANGEL OF SIN OFFICIAL VIDEO (c) UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP

fishdix47ohio 2 days ago its wonderfal 2 c how young people enjoy thoughtful new grunge anthems that blast away the hypocracy of our borken society. things were different before 9/11 and it HAS to do with worshipping of lady gaga and all the brainswashing about who are "the enemy" mainstream media feeds us now adays

dAmAgEdSOUL1Ns1De 3 days ago shutup you fagort it doesnt matter wat genre it is good music is good musci just like wat u like what makes u feel like tearin up the fucking society inside RIP KURT FUCK THAT BITCH COURTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!11111

bongzilla25 3 days ago what i love about this video is you can see the confusion and pain in floso's eyes like he is really relating to my life he was jus a forgoten neglected kid and floso brings ma experieance back to life, to all the children who have cryied for help and never heard may they all rest in peace RIP KURT GRUNGE TILL I FUCKIN DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK THAT BITCH CUORTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!111

emmAngel13(urcyanidekiss) 5 days ago 3,40-3,48 yeaaa yeaaaa oooooooooooo yeaaaa.... love you...  i hear u floso u r the poet of r ganeration r hearts inside speak and u r the profet of r broken lives!!!!!1

xXxsliverinchainsxX 1 week ago yeah same here most girls in my town have fallen in love with JLS and justin beiber but I absolutley HATE them! its weird though, i get bullied for being different but i just love being different, most people think im weird coz i love rock music, but everyone else has been infected with the Disney virus,its where you start to love hannah montana, wear skimpy clothes and wear loads of make up!!!!!!!!! But ive managed somehow to steer clear of that!!!!!! i want to marry you floso FLOSO YOU KNOW WAT MY HEART SAYS HOW CAN YOU MAKE SUCH BEAUTIFUL POETRY ITS LIKE YOU CAN HEAR INSIDE ME I SAW YOU ON 06/03/10 CLEVELAND WHEN YOU DID THE SOLO OF BROKEN HEART I SWEAR YOU LOOKED RIGHT AT ME I WAS AT THE VERY FRONT IN THE GREEN DAY HOODIE I KNOW YOU FELT WAT I FEEL PLEASE EMAIL ME SO WE CAN BE TOGETHER MY MSN ADDY IS xXxbRoKeNcObAiNgoddessSPARKLEHEARTxXxbubbles@aol.c om PLZ EMAIL ME PLZ!!!!!1111
Old 06.28.2010, 04:47 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i would definitely say vu created their own musical language

Sure, but not to the degree of something like SY, or Beefheart. VU definitely added some dissonance and blackness to their songs, but really, stripped-down -- and especially on later records -- they were pop songs. Drugged-out, hazey, simple, ugly, and boring pop songs. Obviously, not EVERY song is like that, like Sister Ray, but even that kinda stuff was sorta in tune with what was going on at the time. In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida anyone? (I'm just kidding, but only slightly)...

Old 06.28.2010, 04:48 PM   #26
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Poison Arrow is pretty VU sounding.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 05:02 PM   #27
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
youtube.com comments page for FLOSO - ANGEL OF SIN OFFICIAL VIDEO (c) UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP

fishdix47ohio 2 days ago its wonderfal 2 c how young people enjoy thoughtful new grunge anthems that blast away the hypocracy of our borken society. things were different before 9/11 and it HAS to do with worshipping of lady gaga and all the brainswashing about who are "the enemy" mainstream media feeds us now adays

dAmAgEdSOUL1Ns1De 3 days ago shutup you fagort it doesnt matter wat genre it is good music is good musci just like wat u like what makes u feel like tearin up the fucking society inside RIP KURT FUCK THAT BITCH COURTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!11111

bongzilla25 3 days ago what i love about this video is you can see the confusion and pain in floso's eyes like he is really relating to my life he was jus a forgoten neglected kid and floso brings ma experieance back to life, to all the children who have cryied for help and never heard may they all rest in peace RIP KURT GRUNGE TILL I FUCKIN DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK THAT BITCH CUORTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!111

emmAngel13(urcyanidekiss) 5 days ago 3,40-3,48 yeaaa yeaaaa oooooooooooo yeaaaa.... love you...  i hear u floso u r the poet of r ganeration r hearts inside speak and u r the profet of r broken lives!!!!!1

xXxsliverinchainsxX 1 week ago yeah same here most girls in my town have fallen in love with JLS and justin beiber but I absolutley HATE them! its weird though, i get bullied for being different but i just love being different, most people think im weird coz i love rock music, but everyone else has been infected with the Disney virus,its where you start to love hannah montana, wear skimpy clothes and wear loads of make up!!!!!!!!! But ive managed somehow to steer clear of that!!!!!! i want to marry you floso FLOSO YOU KNOW WAT MY HEART SAYS HOW CAN YOU MAKE SUCH BEAUTIFUL POETRY ITS LIKE YOU CAN HEAR INSIDE ME I SAW YOU ON 06/03/10 CLEVELAND WHEN YOU DID THE SOLO OF BROKEN HEART I SWEAR YOU LOOKED RIGHT AT ME I WAS AT THE VERY FRONT IN THE GREEN DAY HOODIE I KNOW YOU FELT WAT I FEEL PLEASE EMAIL ME SO WE CAN BE TOGETHER MY MSN ADDY IS xXxbRoKeNcObAiNgoddessSPARKLEHEARTxXxbubbles@aol.c om PLZ EMAIL ME PLZ!!!!!1111
Post of the year.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 05:12 PM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k

hahahahahaha OMG
Old 06.28.2010, 05:35 PM   #29
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
well.
weather is too damn hot, I think poland might be the same at the moment, isnt it?
last stress phase at university.
the few days in paris two weeks ago were awesome!!

how are you doing? hope everything is fine!!!

Hey brother,

Good to hear that you are doing well. It's hot as hell here too, I can't sleep longer, because of the sun which is shining straight to my window in the morning, and it's making a good temperature inside. Oh! I'm having the final phase too! How is it? I have one last semester left, and the final engineer work needs to be done... Awesome thing that you've been to Paris, I need to go there sometime.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 06:12 PM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucklechimp
Sonic Youth is the modern day VU. In the future people will look back at SY with the same reverence that is now attributed to VU. SY is pop music fucked up completely. Just like the VU did in the beginning.

nah.. VU has a wider audience and bigger influence over other artists.. if anything SY is more like the Dead.. they stuck it out for decades, they evolved and progressed as musicians with each album and year, they had an ecclectic following and partial mainstream success, they became a household name but yet practically nobody has actually heard them, just heard of..

SY=Grateful Dead

VU= more popular than SY

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 06:39 PM   #31
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucklechimp
Sonic Youth is the modern day VU. In the future people will look back at SY with the same reverence that is now attributed to VU. SY is pop music fucked up completely. Just like the VU did in the beginning.

VU were painfully overrated.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 06:41 PM   #32
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
nah.. VU has a wider audience and bigger influence over other artists.. if anything SY is more like the Dead.. they stuck it out for decades, they evolved and progressed as musicians with each album and year, they had an ecclectic following and partial mainstream success, they became a household name but yet practically nobody has actually heard them, just heard of..

SY=Grateful Dead

VU= more popular than SY
I can see where you're coming from with that.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 11:01 PM   #33
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
sonic youth are the modern day sonic youth. conversely, they are also the latter day sonic youth.
You blow my mind
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 11:47 PM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think Jesus and Mary Chain were more like a modern VU, if we're talking boring, druggy, hazey, vaguely noisey but still accessible stuff.

Perhaps we should ask the thousands of bands that VU influenced or SY themselves, then shut up and listen to what they have to say.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 11:54 PM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

SY=Grateful Dead

VU= more popular than SY
Precisely. VU influenced countless artists that don't even play rock music.
Old 06.29.2010, 01:31 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Either way, I'm going to jam SY's "Electricity" cover right now and go to bed.

Old 06.29.2010, 01:48 AM   #37
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Make sure you play their cover of European Son right after that.
Old 06.29.2010, 02:07 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Touché!

Then, just for good measures, I'll listen to their cover of WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU!

Old 06.29.2010, 02:21 AM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Please do. Just don't lose too much sleep over it.
Old 06.29.2010, 09:34 AM   #40
ni'k
invito al cielo

crows Of Grunge Blackness Y'all!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth