Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Scary/disturbing bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2007, 07:29 AM   #21
sarramkrop

The Bomb 20 of 'Flip Burgers Or Die!' is another one that springs to mind. Racist prick that goes by the username of Glice will probably agree with me on this one.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 07:48 AM   #22
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i've got a bomb 20 album, but it's too long and monotonous to be scary
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 07:49 AM   #23
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
although, I don't find them really scarey now, at one time:

Skinny Puppy and most of it's side-bands (Download, Rx: Ritalin [ok, one song still scares me])

Ministry (the people in it ARE scarey [IRL][SRSLY])

Butthole Surfers (don't listen to Cherub under the influence)

I'm too tired to think of anything else, but I'm sure anything that I listened to religiously from 17-25 years of age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I forgot that you are a girl, therefore you are more susceptible to the sight of spiders and the like.

I laughed (really hard) at this, but unfortunately, for the last few weeks, I too have been scared by the sight of spiders. I jump when I see little bits of black fuzz.

for the record: I wouldn't want to meet a juggalo in a dark alley (they might steal my wallet).
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 07:51 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
einsturzende neubauten lustmord throbbing gristle are pretty.. uh. unpleaseant.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 07:55 AM   #25
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i've got a bomb 20 album, but it's too long and monotonous to be scary
Forget about the rest. Flip Burgers Or Die! is the only one that you need to own. I'm not even sure if it was meant to be an album or just an EP, but then I am generally confused by DHR's packaging.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:03 AM   #26
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus Lizard, nothing more scary than a naked lead singer jumping on you
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:09 AM   #27
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Frankie Teardrop as stated several times above; played it to friends once; it worked really well; played them SY's Burning Spear too and the result was the same.

Les enfants, by the Young Gods; I heard that song on the radio once and the melody stuck. I bought the album a few weeks later probably, just for that track, about kids playing various instruments to make noise, disturb earth and start wars. I never played that album much, but the whole thing can't be erased from my mind.

I've been disturbed by Nick Drake (Know) and the Waitresses (ska? disturbing? well yeah, for a few lines on a song).

I've been deranged by the Boredoms, and by USSA by Butthole Surfers (this one had made me laugh out loud; I had dropped a PKDick book after a long read to throw myself into the arms of those persons who turned out to be as mad as the writer I was trying to escape for my own sanity).

Buzzcocks' last album before reformation quite scared me. I used to put it on when I was feeling disturbed. The problems induced by the music would make me forget about my own by the end of either side I was playing.

Liars have something oddly disturbing about them on their coool pieces. The relief of giving up to spleen and letting it rule your world for as long as you feel good about it.

Edit : Jesus Lizard, yes; I never knew how to dwell with Blockbuster; the music is excellent, but lyrics are...
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:24 AM   #28
sarramkrop

What I find really sinister about Coil in general is the fact that I never seem to be able to pinpoint what it is, but a general feeling of wrongness pervades their music and you fail to grasp it. I love that feeling of ambiguity that seems to float in the air when I put their records on. Suicide's Frankie Teardrop is a prime example of human degradation, even more so because you know that the characters in the song happen to exist for real.

Good call on the majority of bands that have been posted in this thread.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:29 AM   #29
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Edit : Jesus Lizard, yes; I never knew how to dwell with Blockbuster; the music is excellent, but lyrics are...

blockbuster's lyrics are hilarious!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:37 AM   #30
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I will agree wholeheartedly with the mention of Nature Unveiled/Dogs Blood Rising era Current 93. Even their more recent LP, "I Have A Special Plan For This World," has a pretty high creep factor. Some Coil is pretty disturbing, but some is actually very relaxing to me.

SPK had it for some time
Korpses Katatonik
Some (and I stress some) Psychic TV
Hybryds
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:46 AM   #31
sarramkrop

I used to find Psychic Tv's cover of 'Good Vibrations' disturbing, but purely because I had seen this interview carried out in his flat just before that came out, and Genesis P Orridge freaked me out. It's not a disturbing version of it at all. The video is hilarious.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:48 AM   #32
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
That video is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I love that they did that back when people still thought of them as "severe" people with cult/military uniforms and haircuts and scary abrasive ritual music, and then in the video they're dressed in bright colors and smiling and driving around town in a convertible while lip-syncing to a Beach Boys cover!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:49 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
jesus lizard aren't scary; they're funny@! boredoms aren't scary; they're godlike. butthole surfers in the old old days, fried by acid.. yeah. that was kinda scary..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 08:56 AM   #34
sarramkrop

Youtube doesn't seem to have it, but I wouldn't mind watching that video again. The sight of Genesis P Orridge having fun in a conventional way is a scary thought in itself.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 09:07 AM   #35
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Die Tödliche Doris is another one
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 09:16 AM   #36
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
^
Sparks?

Ronald has gotten even scarier over the years, what with them wrinkles of his.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 09:30 AM   #37
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I never really thought that Psychic TV was scarey.

I have lots of old Psychic TV on vinyl, but it was never really scarey, just weird.

they really got kind of dance-y toward the end of the 80's too. I was one of maybe 20 people that saw them in Dallas for the Towards Thee Infinite Beat tour, and again, it was weird, but nothing like seeing Ogre from Skinny Puppy disembowel himself on stage.

I think I might be jaded.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 10:15 AM   #38
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
old Swans
old Butthole Surfers
Joy Division

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2007, 10:52 AM   #39
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Picastro
early Cat Power
early Xiu Xiu
Haunting and sad.
Old 09.18.2007, 11:08 AM   #40
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I'm surprised nobody has said Bauhaus

King Volcano is a fucking scary song.

Everything else I would have said has already been mentioned (swans, joy division, neubauten, early sonic youth)
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth