Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth in Vera Groningen book/live DVD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.15.2007, 07:54 AM   #1
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
'Rockin on Paper' is a 320 pages full color history on the Vera Club and it's posters. The Vera Club in Groningen has been renowned for being a cool place to perform for the alternative music scene. Part of it's charm are the posters: silk screened with lots of original artwork. Mementos for both audience and band. This book contains a broad selection of the archived posters (more than 300) between the really early years and somewhere around 2005. Next to it a short historical overview of the Club and some personal memories on some of the -for a variety of reasons- more memorable performances. Interviews with: Lee Ranaldo, Mick Collins, Lou Barlow, Kim Gordon, David Yow, Ross Knight. Text is in both Dutch and English.

With the book comes a DVD containing original live footage shot at and by the VERA Club itself. Exciting performances by: the Gunclub, Monster Magnet, Dead Moon, Giant Sand, Sebadoh, Cosmic Psychos, the Gories, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Dinosaur jr., Sonic Youth and Beat Happening.

http://www.veraboek.nl/

The Sonic Youth songs on the DVD are:

# Sonic Youth: Schizophrenia (aka Sister)
# Sonic Youth: Xpressway To Yr. Skull (aka The Crucifixion Of Sean Penn aka Madonna, Sean And Me)
# Sonic Youth: Pacific Coast Highway
# Sonic Youth: Beauty Lies In The Eye
# Sonic Youth: Tom Violence
# Sonic Youth: White Kross

According to the concert chronology, SY have played in Vera in 1983, 1985, 1986 and 1987. I'm guessing this is all from 1987, but I don't know really.
Complete tracklisting of the DVD can be found here
http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/label/v/verarecords.htm

Now before you all get out your credit cards, it costs €35 ex shipping, with free shipping within holland. I'll see if I can find it in the bookstores later this week to find out what it's like.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 08:11 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks, Pokkeherrie!

I'm going to order now, because I know that your secret plan is buy all the copies and sell them on ebay for extortionate prices. You don't fool me!

EDIT - Maybe not... The publishers want the money wired to them, which costs way too much. I'm waiting for them to let me know if they'll accept Paypal or any other method of payment.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 08:34 AM   #3
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
i want to see what it looks like and if the "interviews" are any interesting before i'll decide whether to get it. there's a few snippets of what's on the dvd here if you don't mind watching 12 minutes of local news items about farmers looking for lost cows and cats being stuck in high trees first.
http://www.tvnoord.nl/streaming/streamingtv2.asp?cid=wmp&pid=Noord&progid=tvod&gid sid=30251&file=NoordNieuws_ma.wmv
it's right at the very end.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 08:36 AM   #4
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It has the Gun Club on it, as well as lots of Sister-era SY. That's quite enough to make me happy.

EDIT - I just watched that news programme. Thankfully it's possible to fast-forward through the cats-caught-up-trees stories - if anyone else wants to watch it, the article that Pokkeherrie's referring to starts at about 12:50. The book looks to be on decent quality paper, which is a good start. The footage isn't professional quality, but I've seen much worse on sale masquerading as professional. I'll risk it.
Old 03.15.2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Pokkeherrie. I hope it will be for sale on Amazon or somwhere else.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
wow, cool!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 03:54 PM   #7
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for info.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 04:11 AM   #8
lukin
bad moon rising

lukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asses
I know that Vera has a full Nirvana show from 1989 taped with really good quality. I guess itīs Courtney who refused them to realesed it.=/
lukin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
More info about VERA, the book they've brought out, and more.

'Rockin on Paper' is a 320 pages full color history on the Vera Club and it's posters. The Vera Club in Groningen has been renowned for being a cool place to perform for the alternative music scene. Part of it's charm are the posters: silk screened with lots of original artwork. Mementos for both audience and band. This book contains a broad selection of the archived posters (more than 300) between the really early years and somewhere around 2005. Next to it a short historical overview of the Club and some personal memories on some of the -for a variety of reasons- more memorable performances. Interviews with: Lee Ranaldo, Mick Collins, Lou Barlow, Kim Gordon, David Yow, Ross Knight. Text is in both Dutch and English.

With the book comes a DVD containing original live footage shot at and by the VERA Club itself. Exciting performances by: the Gunclub, Monster Magnet, Dead Moon, Giant Sand, Sebadoh, Cosmic Psychos, the Gories, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Dinosaur jr., Sonic Youth and Beat Happening.

Some of the posters (look in the menu), which are probably in the book.

ISBN-10: 90-9021438-0 Rockin On Paper - The VERA Club: A History In Posters DVD
This is a book with posters and a DVD with live footage.
Posters made and live footage recorded for/during gigs in VERA, Groningen, The Netherlands

The Gun Club: Ghost On The Highway
Dead Moon: 54/40 Or Fight (with Edwin Heath getting a T-Shirt)
Dead Moon: I'm Wise
Dead Moon: Out On A Wire
The Band Of Blacky Ranchette: Moon Over Memphis
Sebadoh: Sacred Attention
Sebadoh: Brand New Love
Sebadoh: Ride The Darker Wave

Sonic Youth: Schizophrenia (aka Sister)
Sonic Youth: Xpressway To Yr. Skull (aka The Crucifixion Of Sean Penn aka Madonna, Sean And Me)
Sonic Youth: Pacific Coast Highway
Sonic Youth: Beauty Lies In The Eye
Sonic Youth: Tom Violence
Sonic Youth: White Kross
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion: Backslider
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion: History Of Lies
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion: The Feeling Of Love
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion: White Tail
Cosmic Psychos: Pub
Cosmic Psychos: Lost Cause
Cosmic Psychos: David Lee Roth
Dinosaur Jr: The Lung
Dinosaur Jr: Kracked
Gories: To Find Out
Gories: He's Doin' It
Gories: Queenie
Beat Happening: Revolution Come And Gone
Beat Happening: Nancy Sin
Beat Happening: Fortune Cookie Prize
Monster Magnet: Medicine

Edit: Nevermind.

VERA Groningen - Beauty In The Underworld LP/CD
Corelease with Semaphore (08-025574-20)
4 more tracks on the CD (which I don't have, titles?)

The Scientists: Murderess In A Purple Dress (live)
The Feelies: Crazy Rhythms (live)
Sylvia Juncosa: The Desert Song (live)
The Dream Syndicate: 50 In A 25 Zone (live)
Sonic Youth: Broken Eye (live)
The Leaving Trains: So Fucked Up (live)
Dinosaur Jr: The Lung (live)
The Nomads: Real Gone Lover (live)
Alex Chilton: The Rubber Room (live)
The Gun Club: Sexbeat (live)

L I N K
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2007, 06:12 AM   #10
VeraGroningen
empty page

VeraGroningen has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Thanks, Pokkeherrie!

I'm going to order now, because I know that your secret plan is buy all the copies and sell them on ebay for extortionate prices. You don't fool me!

EDIT - Maybe not... The publishers want the money wired to them, which costs way too much. I'm waiting for them to let me know if they'll accept Paypal or any other method of payment.

You can send the money by snail mail if you want. If you really want to do it with Paypal we can use a friend's account.

Cheers,
Vera
VeraGroningen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2007, 06:13 AM   #11
VeraGroningen
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin
I know that Vera has a full Nirvana show from 1989 taped with really good quality. I guess itīs Courtney who refused them to realesed it.=/

you guessed right...
Old 05.11.2007, 06:14 AM   #12
sonicl
invito al cielo

I have the book/DVD. The book isn't really something you'd read from cover to cover, more something to dip into from time to time. There's an interesting history of the club, anecdotes from staff, patrons and performers, and loads of pictures of posters used to promote events at the club.

I've only had time to watch the DVD once so far. It's interesting, rather than essential, with picture quality that is above bootleg but below professional.

I'll say more later, but it's lunchtime now. See ya.
Old 05.11.2007, 06:15 AM   #13
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraGroningen
you guessed right...

... and Sonic Youth?
Old 05.11.2007, 06:19 AM   #14
VeraGroningen
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
... and Sonic Youth?

waddya mean?
Old 05.11.2007, 06:26 AM   #15
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraGroningen
waddya mean?

Sonic Youth's 1987 gig on video? (Complete)
Old 05.11.2007, 06:30 AM   #16
VeraGroningen
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Sonic Youth's 1987 gig on video? (Complete)

Sure. But not available
Old 05.11.2007, 06:33 AM   #17
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

I can understand that. Would be nice to see it sometime though.
Old 05.11.2007, 07:43 AM   #18
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Thats amazing, never been to Groningen, so whenever I'm there I'll go look it up .
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth