Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Oh, also White Stripes appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.26.2011, 08:57 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
As far as mainstream (kinda) modern rock/roll that actually winds up on the radio, the White Stripes are pretty much as good as it gets. (strictly speaking of popular rock, here)

I can't believe how interesting they managed to sound with only two instruments and a rather limited general sound (garage rock), or how heavy they were. I also can't quite wrap my mind around how awesome a guitarist Jack White is.

I know- they're a pop band and everyone knows about them. But so what? At least a FEW of those bands have to be good.

Stripes are one of'em.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2011, 01:07 PM   #2
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Pavement in 2000 also, and yeah- I wasn't blown away.

I'm a moderate Pavement fan (as in, I love the first three albums + Westing) but hearing some of my then favorite songs stumbled through by five bored-looking poorly dressed geeks was not exactly the thrilling experience I was anticipating.

I saw the Stripes three times (I think) between WBC's and Icky, and they just plain brought it. Earlier on, in the club shows, the sheer heaviness was particularly palpable. But they could even fill ARENAS with that sparse little arrangement they had.

There are plenty of Stripes songs I don't love, or skip thru, but on the whole, they had a much better career than any of their contemporaries.
Old 10.27.2011, 03:44 PM   #3
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield

they had a much better career than any of their contemporaries.

Yea seriously, remember when they guys were actually thought to be on the same level as the stripes?

Anyway I always loved the white stripes I just remember being so happy hearing fell in love with a girl, loving it and then being amazed that the group was being widely accepted by the radio. They proved you could still kick ass within the mainstream, if you didn't get to see these guys live ever you really missed out.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2011, 03:51 PM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ why so much hating on the vines?

Anyways.....destijl luv. I haven't listened to much after Elephant....I don't know why...maybe I should....oh well.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I have always thought White Stripes is a poor manīs Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. JSBE was the first band in that genre and also the best. White Stripes have some great songs but all the albums Iīve heard are too mediocre to me. I say listen JSBE instead.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2011, 02:41 PM   #6
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
"Offend in Every Way" is an amazing song

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2011, 10:57 PM   #7
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
i read
the olson twins appreciation thread

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2011, 02:21 PM   #8
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

"The Union Forever" quotes fucking Citizen Kane. Plus they're color-coordinated. How classy can you get?
Old 10.29.2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"The Union Forever" quotes fucking Citizen Kane. Plus they're color-coordinated. How classy can you get?
If you need to ask, my friend, you're lost.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2011, 02:58 PM   #10
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
If you need to ask, my friend, you're lost.

Indeed.
Old 10.30.2011, 06:08 AM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A band I've tried to like on a number of occasions, but never with any success. I lump them with The Cure and The Pixies as bands that other people like, for reasons I can't quite fathom.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
remember that (fake) sex video of Meg?
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2011, 01:37 PM   #13
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I remember reading, back in '01, some SPIN writer's verbal diarrhea saying the Srokes and Stripes were the new Beatles and Stones....

Baha!

As it turns out, the White Stripes are more like the Beatles than the Strokes (who strike out almost always, but have three or so great songs) ever were, even during the Is This It? explosion. How? Well, the Stripes, like the Beatles, had a definite and elemental look and feel. They started out as experts in simplicity, making just plain right-on pop songs, just like the Beatles. "Third Man" is like "Apple".... both bands expanded on their initial perfect-pop sound with the addition of psychedelics and bizarre experimentation. Granted, the Stripes are no Beatles... but they're closer to the Beatles than the Strokes, especially now that their career is over and we can look back at the non-stop stream of hits they released, and critically acclaimed, platinum selling albums, each of which built upon the last..... Except for Icky Thump, which was great record, but more like a return to their original sound, only thicker and with more color and radiance.

Also.... some asshole at pitchforkmedia.com said, in 02, that the BLACK KEYS were better at playing the blues, and shamed the Stripes. The Keys, he said, delivered TRUE "delta" blues, while the Stripes were just some "mid-western rich-kid interpretation" of it.
Bullshit.
The Stripes are not a blues band, they're a rock band, in the tradition of the Stooges, and they came from motherfucking Detroit, a city whose only real benefit to society has been garage rock (Stooges, MC5).
The Black Keys are JSBX and Stripes imitators, blatantly. I can't believe how loved they are by the populous. They write bullshit stoner rock that has nothing to do with the blues. Anyone with eyes and ears can see that they're just the Stripes without character, talent, muscle, or red and white.
Old 10.31.2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I like the Black Keys more than Stripes altough Iīm not a big fan, I have only Brothers. In my opinion Brothers is much stronger entity than any of Stripes albums Iīve heard.
Old 10.31.2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
A band I've tried to like on a number of occasions, but never with any success. I lump them with The Cure and The Pixies as bands that other people like, for reasons I can't quite fathom.
The Cure is great and Pixies is good!
Old 10.31.2011, 09:40 AM   #16
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
The Cure is great and Pixies is good!

The Cure is godlike, and the Pixies were brilliant and eccentric.

I still really love the Pixies, but none of their material gets me going like it did when I was 15.
Old 10.31.2011, 09:45 AM   #17
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I like the Black Keys more than Stripes altough Iīm not a big fan, I have only Brothers. In my opinion Brothers is much stronger entity than any of Stripes albums Iīve heard.

Eh... difference of opinion, I guess. White Stripes came first. White Stripes were more interesting, and Jack White is definitely a better guitarist and song-writer than what'shisname from the Keys.

I haven't heard a lot of Keys, but to me they seem like a slightly blusier Fu Manchu or at best QOTSA. It's stoner rock, more influenced by Sabbath than Zeppelin.

Show me some of their good shit and maybe I'll at least tip my hat to them. As of now, they're just sitting in Jack's massive shadow, and always will be unless I'm shown something worthwhile.

Plus, the Keys have become a mainstream party rock band. Also, whenever I say their name I feel like I"m saying "Blackies", and that's weird.
Old 11.01.2011, 02:10 AM   #18
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Eh... difference of opinion, I guess. White Stripes came first. White Stripes were more interesting, and Jack White is definitely a better guitarist and song-writer than what'shisname from the Keys.

I haven't heard a lot of Keys, but to me they seem like a slightly blusier Fu Manchu or at best QOTSA. It's stoner rock, more influenced by Sabbath than Zeppelin.

Show me some of their good shit and maybe I'll at least tip my hat to them. As of now, they're just sitting in Jack's massive shadow, and always will be unless I'm shown something worthwhile.

Plus, the Keys have become a mainstream party rock band. Also, whenever I say their name I feel like I"m saying "Blackies", and that's weird.

To me is still the same is music mainstream or not (whatever the mainstream is).

I donīt believe you will change your opinions when you heard these (I donīt have need to change it anyway, itīs just positive people have different opinions) but hereīs some of my favourite songs from brothers (although I think there is no bad song in that album):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5SHOX6eomk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iacm...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymwLv...eature=related

As I said, I donīt think theyīre great, I think they just make quite enjoyable music, nothing new (like for example Warpaint).

I am a huge Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath fan. Iīm not a huge stoner fan, but Kyuss is just great! I also like some Monster Magnet albums, donīt like Queens of Stoneage that much, but their desert sessions 9 & 10 is just great! (thereīs Pj harvey also). I think thereīs no genre where I like all itīs bands, but thereīs not genre thatīs music I donīt like at all.

Although I first started that "who was first" I donīt think it is essential. And White Stripes is not first band with only guitar and drums, there was for example band called Deja Voodoo at eighties (the guitarist has only four strings)!

I think Black keys is mix of JSBE and Lenny Kravitz.
Old 11.01.2011, 11:29 AM   #19
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Saw them open up for Pavement in 2000 and they were great. Better than Pavement. Malkmus just jacked off the whole time.

Yeah, I saw the show in Baltimore.

The audience actually BOOED the White Stripes, who were unknown at that point. After "Jolene" someone yelled "Fag!"

I bet the fuckers who booed eventually became fans and nowadays tell people, "Yeah, I saw them back in the day. I was into them before anyone else."

And yes, I think every Pavement memember was drunk and would've rather not been on a stage playing music.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 09:04 PM   #20
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
People here sure are dissing Pavement during what the band admits was them falling apart because they were about to go on hiatus and just not giving a shit anymore.....

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth