Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Why are SY so low down on festival lineups?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2007, 12:38 AM   #21
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
SY is ten times the band for their remarkable longevity, consistancy, and perseverance. to hell with being #1, or a buzz band, we know they're the best!
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 01:19 AM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Weren't Sonic Youth to headline the 2004 Lollapalooza before it was cancelled? If you look at it's line-up, there really weren't any big Mtv names except for The Killers and Modest Mouse.

I assume promoters took a page from this by assuming that "the guard has changed" when it comes to pop culture. Mtv crowd don't know 'em, the hip crowd are forging their own scene.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 01:59 AM   #23
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Regardless of their name it seems to me they could have sold some recent singles on poppy hook lines alone. Pookie that 1991 lineup was incredable. Those were the days..

I was talking to someone the other day he thought he was the coolest music guy in the world for going to the NME tour and talking about The Automatic, The Kooks, and the Arctic Monkeys. never heard of Sonic Youth, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr. A complete and utter up himself arse. Who unfortunately did not have the musical knowledge to justify being such a prick.
Well when one takes what is cool from the NME I suppose...
Old 05.01.2007, 10:43 AM   #24
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I think you'll find it's the young "rock 'n' roll" death that benefits those artists reputation, not their short careers. Misunderstood martyrs will always have a captive audience.

Well I know for those two particular artists the young death had a lot to do with it, but if you have a short career, theres no time to screw up what youre good at is there? A lot of bands that didn't last that long have this sense of mysticism and "never made a bad record" thing - the sex pistols, the stooges (before they reunited and made their awful latest album) the velvet underground etc...
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 11:15 AM   #25
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm but 'Nevermind the bollocks' was mindless craptrap and even the almighty Velvets had a few stinkers. I think its to do with this quasi-religious thing that goes through music. Almost like artists have to die for their art.
Old 05.01.2007, 12:43 PM   #26
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Hmm but 'Nevermind the bollocks' was mindless craptrap .

yeah, but it was the start of a new movement. As for why sonic youth aren't high up on festivals. It's because SY have always been a band who thrives off album sales. Whereas a lot of bands, like say black eyed peas to name a band that was mentioned earlier. They have radfioplay and rely on big singles. Which means 'Joe public' have at least heard a few of their songs, so people want to hear these songs so they put them further up. I havn't explained this well, I hope you realise what I mean!

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 02:54 PM   #27
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Yeah I think you have a point SonicSam, its just I cant understand why stuff like Incinerate, Sunday etc,etc cant get radioplay.

I dislike The Sex Pistol immensely because they represent everything I dont like about Punk, its a vulgar consolidation of all the worst elements of the movement. The fact that they sing about anarchy (an insane concept in itself, at least the form of anarchy they talked about) then around the edge of the CD is says "Copyright blah blah, Prosecution blah blah". It seems to me to be more than slightly hypocritical. They seem to be offensive for the sake of being offensive. There is no real message. At least not an intelligent one anyway. Patti Smith, The Stooges, Television, the No-wave bands they represent everything that I love about Punk. The idea of pushing against artistic barriers, making art on your own terms for the sake of art, independent music and community. Not ranting and raving with a safety pin in your noise. It all seems rather silly to me. Its a side of punk I would like to see irradiated from the pages of musical history.
Old 05.01.2007, 03:47 PM   #29
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
It's just because more then 50% of the world has absolutely no taste in music whatsoever.

At least 80%.
Old 05.02.2007, 03:17 AM   #30
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Yeah I think you have a point SonicSam, its just I cant understand why stuff like Incinerate, Sunday etc,etc cant get radioplay.

I dislike The Sex Pistol immensely because they represent everything I dont like about Punk, its a vulgar consolidation of all the worst elements of the movement. The fact that they sing about anarchy (an insane concept in itself, at least the form of anarchy they talked about) then around the edge of the CD is says "Copyright blah blah, Prosecution blah blah". It seems to me to be more than slightly hypocritical. They seem to be offensive for the sake of being offensive. There is no real message. At least not an intelligent one anyway. Patti Smith, The Stooges, Television, the No-wave bands they represent everything that I love about Punk. The idea of pushing against artistic barriers, making art on your own terms for the sake of art, independent music and community. Not ranting and raving with a safety pin in your noise. It all seems rather silly to me. Its a side of punk I would like to see irradiated from the pages of musical history.

yeah, true I mean I don't really like the sex pistols or 'that side of punk', but without them there could possibly havebeen no punk music...then again another band couldhave come along instead of them, I mean the ramones had practically started off punk rock anyway and yeah all that sex pistols anarchy bullshit is so ridiculous.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 09:35 AM   #31
mAraujo
little trouble girl

mAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to beholdmAraujo is a splendid one to behold
They're going to be headlining in Portugal, but that's probably because festivals usually only have one "big" band playing each day, here.
mAraujo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 11:55 PM   #32
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
music today is fucked in the head

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth