Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what is wrong with people?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2007, 02:44 PM   #1
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Why are so many "musicians" letting go of the things that make good music?

Let me elaborate. Last Sunday, out of an obligation I made because I kept putting it off and wanted to not hurt anybody's feelings, I played guitar at some friends' house. Two of the guys there were drummers and they kept switching off. Neither one of them were good. Not trying to be mean; they would tell you the same thing. But there is a definate reason behind why they were no good. Not because a lack of experience; each of them had played for about 4 years. The problem, from what I could tell, is they had no appriciation for good music. They kept trying to impress each other with their double-bass "skills", giving no heed to perfecting ALL of the OTHER pieces of a drum set. I guess as long as you can hit 2 pedals really fast, who cars about the rest?

(Note: This is an incomplete thought. It may not make a lot of sense or stay on topic, but I had to get it off my chest, cause that crap just bugs me.)
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 02:51 PM   #2
chrismc
empty page

chrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud ofchrismc has much to be proud of
ditto man. i hit drums for a band a while ago, and most of the drummers i know (bar one) are posers. being in a band is a fad for these people. it gets them looks.
chrismc is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 02:51 PM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
You seem to have discovered why we used to make fun of Berklee Collee of Music grads - exquisiste technique but absolutely no soul or spirit - and of course, nothing at all creative or interesting. But perfectly done!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 02:51 PM   #4
sarramkrop

Yeah, you tell them.Waht is wrong with them?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:19 PM   #5
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
I have a friend who is OBSESSED with the band Bright Eyes, and i mean OBSESSED, anyway he 'plays' guitar and sings like Conor Oberst, and is trying really really hard to try and pretty much completely copy what Conor does and has done.
But, he refuses to listen to any thing other that Bright fucking Eyes, he won't listen to any historical music and by historical i mean Beatles etc, the bands that Conor probably listens to and has great appreciation for.
Ive tried to get him to listen to the music of other singer/ songwriters who make that acoustic type music that Bright Eyes fits into, but he wont have it.

Anyway, this reminded me of what you said about your drummer friends, he has no appreciation for other musicians, and i think to be a musician you have to, You just HAVE TO!, otherwise how do you understand where you are coming from?
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:24 PM   #6
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
Enthusiasm over talent is what matters

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:31 PM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Enthusiasm is rubbish, you can be enthusiastic about ploughing the same rut. iMagination is the key, willingness to dump all youve previously learned.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:33 PM   #8
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Enthusiasm is rubbish, you can be enthusiastic about ploughing the same rut. iMagination is the key, willingness to dump all youve previously learned.

Ah yeah, I think I meant in a live on stage kinda situation... but of course you need all that stuff behind you!

I dunno... Im just trying to look clever...

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:42 PM   #9
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I havent been to a live gig in a while. I guess when it looks unenthusiastic it might not really be so. Many gigs ive been to where the band has looked half arsed but that has added to the appeal, it can be part of the show if you can carry it off
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
I have a friend who is OBSESSED with the band Bright Eyes, and i mean OBSESSED, anyway he 'plays' guitar and sings like Conor Oberst, and is trying really really hard to try and pretty much completely copy what Conor does and has done.
But, he refuses to listen to any thing other that Bright fucking Eyes, he won't listen to any historical music and by historical i mean Beatles etc, the bands that Conor probably listens to and has great appreciation for.
Ive tried to get him to listen to the music of other singer/ songwriters who make that acoustic type music that Bright Eyes fits into, but he wont have it.

Anyway, this reminded me of what you said about your drummer friends, he has no appreciation for other musicians, and i think to be a musician you have to, You just HAVE TO!, otherwise how do you understand where you are coming from?

give him a chinese burn until he admits bright eyes are rubbish and conor oberst is a pussy
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:49 PM   #11
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
or shoot him down with a look that could kill. all women can do it.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
when my ex-bandmates stopped getting into new music and stopped buying cds, i should have known the band was going to shit. it didn't take long before they decided they didn't want to play anymore.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 04:48 PM   #13
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to get at, but my brain was to fried to think straight (from work, not drug related, haha). Seriously, these guys want to just be the next screamo band (which, by the way, I don't understand either). But they want to just start playing without ever learning the basics. And the ONLY thing they listen to is crap like Thursday, Silverstien, and all of that screamo crap. And sorry if that offends you if you are a fan, although I feel I am probably in good company here. But even if in the long wrong you want to do that TYPE of music, that's fine, it's your perogative. But if you want to do it and sound even halfway interesting and original, you have to broaden your horizons a little, otherwise you will just be another carbon copy with a myspace page.
Old 03.13.2007, 05:01 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to get at, but my brain was to fried to think straight (from work, not drug related, haha). Seriously, these guys want to just be the next screamo band (which, by the way, I don't understand either). But they want to just start playing without ever learning the basics. And the ONLY thing they listen to is crap like Thursday, Silverstien, and all of that screamo crap. And sorry if that offends you if you are a fan, although I feel I am probably in good company here. But even if in the long wrong you want to do that TYPE of music, that's fine, it's your perogative. But if you want to do it and sound even halfway interesting and original, you have to broaden your horizons a little, otherwise you will just be another carbon copy with a myspace page.
well what i can think of is not everybody wants to be a professional musician. some people just wanna be in a band for fun, and that's ok, let natural selection take its course, or move to a place that offers more options; "northern ky" is still "ky" and maybe just maybe that's el problema??
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 05:06 PM   #15
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Actually Lexington KY offers more as far as creative music goes than here... I wish I never moved in the first place. But don't discredit KY, just because we don't wear shoes and marry our siblings
Old 03.13.2007, 05:24 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Actually Lexington KY offers more as far as creative music goes than here... I wish I never moved in the first place. But don't discredit KY, just because we don't wear shoes and marry our siblings

ha ha, yeh, i was YOking. they have a decent university for the humanities in lexington, no? that's probably why...
Old 03.13.2007, 06:19 PM   #17
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Yeah, Lexington is nice, I really do miss it. It was a very cultured town considering it's size. It had a big city mentality without losing it's smaller city charm.

Ok, that sounded stupid, but if you know Lexington, you know what I mean.
Old 03.13.2007, 07:21 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, Lexington is nice, I really do miss it. It was a very cultured town considering it's size. It had a big city mentality without losing it's smaller city charm.

Ok, that sounded stupid, but if you know Lexington, you know what I mean.

ive been there, but shuttled between my hotel & the local dennis since i was there for work. people were super-nice and friendly and very hospitable. i was taken therefore to this truckdriver place to eat all these greasy specialties of southern cuisine that were dangerous for the heart yet very tasty.

however my sights now are on the hot brown sandwich, which i plan to try next time i go there, if i ever do-- matter of fact i might go just for the sandwich.
Old 03.13.2007, 07:49 PM   #19
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I always say it... There are a million guitarist around here - they can play amazing, fast and proeficiant but they still play an open mic in this shitty town and that is because they have no talent

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 09:01 PM   #20
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ive been there, but shuttled between my hotel & the local dennis since i was there for work. people were super-nice and friendly and very hospitable. i was taken therefore to this truckdriver place to eat all these greasy specialties of southern cuisine that were dangerous for the heart yet very tasty.

however my sights now are on the hot brown sandwich, which i plan to try next time i go there, if i ever do-- matter of fact i might go just for the sandwich.

Not really big on the hot brown myself. You know, I don't really like horses either. Maybe it was a good move afterall haha

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth