Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Blue Sabbath Black Cheer/FIGI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2009, 01:18 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Is anyone else really bothered by this name similarity? I knew BSBC first and I really dig thier mega harsh horror noise, therefore when I saw the name Blue Sabbath Black Fiji, I thought it would be the same band with a variation in sound. When reading a review of BSBF however, I realized its a totally different band. This caused me to be totally skeptical of the praise this band was getting, the word "Fiji" alone made me think that they were gonna be a Not Not Fun surf-drone or whatever band (like Sun Araw and Ducktails and such) which is a genre I have absolutely NO time for, though I liked Araw's "Beach Head" lp. Then, my friend told me how ripping BSBF was, and I was like watevs, he gave me two casettes, and I listened to them. I was surprised to say the least; crazy freakout guitar-noise duo with good ol dayglo/dada aesthetic. I'm even more irritated about this name now that I know the band is good. Apparently, the name similarity is no coincidence as evidenced by the review here http://smoothassailing.blogspot.com/...lack-fiji.html, but Blue Sabbath Black Fiji just sounds like a fuckin dumb name. Band names I think are important; its the very first impression of a band's aesthetic. Blue sabbath Black Cheer is a great name. Anyone else bothered by this shit?

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2009, 01:20 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, about the surf thing, its probably just because Blue Sabbath Black Fiji is like "fun noise", I mean, lots of noise is fun or humorous or whatever, Nautical Almanac is, and the Schimpfluch crew, To Live and Shave in LA, etc.. But BSBF are likterally like party noise.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.06.2009, 01:24 PM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

I read on the Live and Shave in LA blog that Tom Smith did a recording session with them, which is what allowed me to give them a chance. Really wanna hear those sessions.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.06.2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i like ducktails more than either of those two
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2009, 10:28 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, I like every band mentioned in this thread (Ducktails, Sun Araw, and of course Predator Vision and Wet Hair are all amazing.. especially Predator Vision), though Blue Sabbath Black Cheer's creepy drone is more up my alley. I always just figured the Fiji thing was a tribute, as I had heard BSBC had broken up. Fiji's music is alright, really has nothing (soundwise and otherwise) to do with Cheer so yeah the name is kinda silly but they can do what they want. Just kinda odd all around though I guess that's noise for you.

*edit* I guess Black Cheer are still together. Well, that's great.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth