Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page the 3 remastered releases
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2006, 10:35 AM   #1
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Just ordered Sonic Youth's eponymous record in the local store.

Not sure about the 2 other ones, namely Ciccone Youth & Thurston's solo album. I have the originals of both of these and the new version appears to have the same tracklist and a mid-price of 12.5€.
So I wonder what will be different about these last 2?

Quote:
...feature an updated mastering supervised by the band
What does is really mean?
sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
It should basically sound cleaner and fresh, and if it's been supervised by the band then itshould represent the sound that they hoped to achieve.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 10:39 AM   #3
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
it basically means if you have the originals don't bother... they were reissued for widespread domestic consumption as they are somewhat rare...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 10:47 AM   #4
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i've got Thurston's solo album, i'm gonna get the whitey album now cuz i could never get it, well lookin forward to it
fishmonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I have yet to get The Whitey Album as well, I'll just order the 3 together once I get the chance. It's nice to see new SY stuff out every few months.
Old 03.21.2006, 02:45 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I only bought the EP.....It's great and dirt cheap.
Old 03.21.2006, 02:52 PM   #7
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2004

What does is really mean?

Mastering is basically (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) taking the songs after they'll done in the mixing stage, and making sure that all of the songs sound basically the same in 4 stages: A good pair of headphones, a bad pair of headphones, a good pair of speakers, a bad pair of speakers. The room is acoustically "tuned" so that no added bass or treble is put to the music.
DoubleNickels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
The website of FNAC, a big disc seller here in France, notes that Ciccone Youth White(y) Album's is coming with bonus tracks, is it true ?
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 04:47 PM   #9
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I picked up all 3 rereleases the day they came out and I've been loving them so much ever since. I keep wondering why Geffen didn't just reissue the EP when they reissued everything else...definitely a classic! And sounds very different than their other stuff.

As for the whitey album...I dont think it has bonus tracks, but I could be wrong.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:08 AM   #10
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
The store I go to only had the EP in so I picked that up. Gunna get the other two tommorow.

It's nice that they're really F'in cheap.
IntoTheGroovey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:49 AM   #11
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
The website of FNAC, a big disc seller here in France, notes that Ciccone Youth White(y) Album's is coming with bonus tracks, is it true ?

No information about extra's can be found.
sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 04:12 AM   #12
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
I have Psychic Hearts and but the copy of the first EP I have is bootlegged with the master dik single on it, plus the orginal songs played backwards, but I swore I saw something about the first EP having extra songs, if that is the case I'll get that and the whitey because I don't have the whitey.

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 07:45 AM   #13
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
cant wait to get the self titled. i ordered it on amazon,a nd it should be wingin its way to me impendingly soon. itll be the first itme ive heard half the tracks...anyone know how good the quality of the live tracks is?
doctor dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 07:50 AM   #14
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
The live tracks sound great in a 'not recorded on very sophisticated equipment kinda way'... which is fine by me.
Sonic Death is one of my all time favourites of theirs.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 08:22 AM   #15
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Still haven't seen any in the shops over here. Nor the FOur Guitars relese, which I really want to hear.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
Yo.
The thing that sucks is that for someone who already has those releases, I'd have to buy the whole thing over again in order to get the bonus tracks. If I come across a lot of money, I'll probably buy the vinyl versions, but until them, I'm not too concerned.
Old 03.22.2006, 10:35 AM   #17
space cake
empty page

space cake has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i picked up the ep last friday for $10, hah!
and its glorious and yea. but i do find myself listening mainly to the bonus stuff, for now.
space cake is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 03:14 PM   #18
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Today I ordered EP and White(y) Album, I'll normally received them around the 31, I can't wait...

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:18 PM   #19
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
the ep sounds great,

cosmopolitan girl is the best live track on there
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:23 PM   #20
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I found and bought Psychic Hearts & the Whitey Album today so now I have all three. Wohoo.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth