Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.05.2014, 12:56 AM   #1001
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Gin and juice was an LA Radio anthem for 1993... good times!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2014, 10:06 AM   #1002
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Haha! Thanks for making me pee a little, SFAD
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2014, 10:12 AM   #1003
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I will.. indeed Doggiestyle dates your era.. if you were alive and between 12-21 in California you knew EVERY SINGLE WORD to EVERY SINGLE track off that record. Indeed, when people DON'T know the whole words we look at them like, "Dude where the fuck were you?"

Damn how old are you?
I mean, I've been alive and in Cali between the ages of 20-21... But I'm assuming you're specifically referring to being those things in 1993.

Which would make you 41-43?
Old 09.05.2014, 10:13 AM   #1004
Severian
invito al cielo

Anybody else loving "Sincerely Yours" by Iamsu!?

It took me a while, but I'm pretty bout it bout it.
Old 09.05.2014, 01:22 PM   #1005
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Im in my 30s so I was a bit younger than.that but I soaked up game from the.OGs.and grew up in the.hood (which as a white kid is harder than people assume.cuz I always made it look easy).. as to.great tupac.records, you said 7DayTheory is.your fav, mine too, do you have Still I Rise? Its esessentially the sequel

Old 09.05.2014, 01:50 PM   #1006
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Where is my ninja the Instigator at I KNOW he is bout it bout it for this one yo

Did you guys know Willie D has an advice column in the HOuston Press? http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/ask_willie_d/
Old 09.05.2014, 01:55 PM   #1007
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Did you guys know Willie D has an advice column in the HOuston Press? http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/ask_willie_d/

I WAS WAITING ALL WEEK FOR YOUR A$$ TO RESPOND TO THAT YO

Old 09.05.2014, 02:34 PM   #1008
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Snoop Dogg - Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$ - 2002 - Doggystyle
After his stint on No Limit, Snoop returns with a celebratory album. Now I must note that I hate that he used "tha" and "da" in the same title, but all that aside, this is a pretty decent record. The major problem with this album - and ultimately with many of Snoop's albums - is that it's just too much. Clocking in at 19 tracks, it's tough to keep the momentum and quality top-notch throughout. Luckily, there's more hits than misses here. And be assured that this is a total party record. Snoop provides several party anthem throwbacks: "Stoplight" jacks Parliament's classic "Flashlight," "Ballin'" revamps The Dramatics' "Fallin'" (and features The Dramatics!), "Paper'd Up" is actually a really faithful cover of Eric B & Rakim's "Paid In Full," (which you may have seen performed in the movie Old School). But it's not all remakes, and a lot of the fresh originals are the real standouts. There's no denying just how awesome The Neptunes-produced cuts are. "From The Chuuuch To The Palace," is Snoop in top form, while "Beautiful" lets Pharrell get some crooning spotlight. These are reminders of just how great a team Snoop and The Neptunes really are. While Paid Tha Cost definitely runs on longer than it needs to, it also doesn't exactly overstay its welcome. And while many tracks are less compelling than the really excellent gems peppered throughout, nothing here is really a throwaway either. The worst material here is mostly just Snoop on autopilot, which isn't totally terrible either.
Old 09.05.2014, 04:24 PM   #1009
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Im in my 30s so I was a bit younger than.that but I soaked up game from the.OGs.and grew up in the.hood (which as a white kid is harder than people assume.cuz I always made it look easy).. as to.great tupac.records, you said 7DayTheory is.your fav, mine too, do you have Still I Rise? Its esessentially the sequel

No, not currently anyway. Still I Rise... Cool. I'll pick that up ASAP

I kinda get where you're coming from. I also was at the younger end of the age spectrum for fans of my local music scene (which was admittedly not at all hip-hop focused, so being white didn't really factor into anything); but I was just old enough to be a part of it...
Old 09.05.2014, 05:49 PM   #1010
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
just got Better Dayz.

Suchfriends, can you comment much on what Makaveli boot material ended up on which later albums?
Old 09.05.2014, 06:10 PM   #1011
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Snoop Dogg - Paid Tha Cost To Be Da Bo$$ - 2002 - Doggystyle
After his stint on No Limit, Snoop returns with a celebratory album. Now I must note that I hate that he used "tha" and "da" in the same title, but all that aside, this is a pretty decent record. The major problem with this album - and ultimately with many of Snoop's albums - is that it's just too much. Clocking in at 19 tracks, it's tough to keep the momentum and quality top-notch throughout. Luckily, there's more hits than misses here. And be assured that this is a total party record. Snoop provides several party anthem throwbacks: "Stoplight" jacks Parliament's classic "Flashlight," "Ballin'" revamps The Dramatics' "Fallin'" (and features The Dramatics!), "Paper'd Up" is actually a really faithful cover of Eric B & Rakim's "Paid In Full," (which you may have seen performed in the movie Old School). But it's not all remakes, and a lot of the fresh originals are the real standouts. There's no denying just how awesome The Neptunes-produced cuts are. "From The Chuuuch To The Palace," is Snoop in top form, while "Beautiful" lets Pharrell get some crooning spotlight. These are reminders of just how great a team Snoop and The Neptunes really are. While Paid Tha Cost definitely runs on longer than it needs to, it also doesn't exactly overstay its welcome. And while many tracks are less compelling than the really excellent gems peppered throughout, nothing here is really a throwaway either. The worst material here is mostly just Snoop on autopilot, which isn't totally terrible either.

Hah, I just bought this a few weeks ago, along with the greatest hits record. Funny.

Anyway, I don't think it's much of anything. I bought both records at a used cd store on a whim, dollar bin gems. They both lacked sleeves so I got them for .50/ea or something.

I put on Greatest Hits first, and maybe that was my mistake. That album kicks odd with "...G thang" and I was seriously groovin to that shit, feeling every track rumble, having a blast. Then I put on Paid tha Cost and I don't think I made it through one song. I will give it another go, though, based on your rec NR.

And SFAD's...

But right now I'm blowing up WAAAY to much new shit to pay a lot of attention to classics. The Underachievers' solo mixtape companion pieces to Cellar Door are incredible. And louder was right about the new Travi$ Scott. That shit is seriously ill. So ill it makes me wonder why (given Scott's status as a Kanye-protégé) the thing was given a mixtape release at all! It's such a strong record that I can't help but feel it should have been on GOOD music!.

I'm also really into this new EP by hip-hop producer Fiendish, titled Gold Pope. I heard about it through Tumblr, And thought so highly of it that I had to buy it from the guys bandcamp site. Minimum contribution of $1.00, but I paid $10.00 and included a message for respect.

Oh yeah, and Iamsu! too. Good shit.
Old 09.05.2014, 06:12 PM   #1012
Severian
invito al cielo

Anyone heard the new Jeezy? I almost impulse-bought it the other day, but decided I might as well give it a listen first. It's been a while since I've invested in a Jeezy record, and I don't think he's exactly at the top of his game as far as most folks are concerned.
Old 09.05.2014, 06:38 PM   #1013
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Sev, I'm the opposite right now. Bumping all this older shit and not really paying attention to the new.

Yo at least check out "From The Chuuuch To The Palace" on Paid The Cost.
Old 09.05.2014, 09:17 PM   #1014
noisereductions
invito al cielo

The Firm - The Album - 1997 - Aftermath
The story starts like this: Nas creates a supergroup called The Firm. He recruits Foxy Brown, AZ and Cormega. They create one incredible track on It Was Written called "Affirmative Action." Then they drop a remix of it - that's an entirely new song that's also incredible. People get excited. They hire Dr. Dre and The Trackmasters to produce their album. Some drama goes on and Cormega is replaced by the less exciting Nature. The album drops, following the huge success that was It Was Written. Then you press play. The album starts out pretty good. Opener "Firm Fiasco" is solid. "Phone Tap" is creepy (and although produced by Dre. is reminiscent of Mobb Deep). "Executive Decision" samples Whodini's "Five Minutes Of Funk." Things are going well. And then... it just kind of fizzles. The Album is mostly front-loaded. Suddenly you start to realize how many of these 19 tracks are skits. You start to wonder why Dre or The Trackmasters were needed to make so many generic sounding beats. You start to wonder why a supergroup that has Nas, Foxy and AZ would need so many guests! And then the whole things comes to an anticlimactic end. The Album is not terrible, but it is terribly underwhelming. It's a nice curio for Nas fans. And it's fun to think about what could have been.
Old 09.05.2014, 09:35 PM   #1015
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Fuck the Firm.. I'm still on that Tupac shit.. I just can't help it. I know I shouldn't be perpetuating 20 year old beef that is also not even remotely my actual business and yet for all these past 20 years I have been beefing with the Firm and with Bad Boy in general. Hilariously a bredren of mine just recently called me out for bumping Janelle Monae when I told him she is literally the only artist on Bad Boy I have ever owned a record by

Old 09.05.2014, 09:38 PM   #1016
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
just got Better Dayz.

Suchfriends, can you comment much on what Makaveli boot material ended up on which later albums?

Better Dayz is cool but I don't like some of the remixes on it, Still I Rise is the best post-humous release which includes material from the Makaveli boots but released legitimately and produced directly by the Outlawz..

Most of what was on the bootlegs has been released on official and semi-official albums BUT they have almost ALL been remixed and even the beats were changed because really what the Makaveli bootlegs represent is the 48 hours of unreleased vocal tracks which Tupac had laid down obsessively after he got shot and had the vision that he was going to die within 2 years, which by the way, eerily came true

To be sure, I am too attached to the Makaveli bootlegs so I prefer those versions but some of the cuts off the official releases I also bump. Still I Rise is one of my favorite Tupac records, like I said, it is in essence the sequal to The Seven Day Theory as the themes, raps, and beats are all very similar. Still I Rise has those crucial tracks like Letter to the President, Still I Rise, Tear Drops and Closed Caskets, As the World Turns, and especially Black Jezus

Old 09.05.2014, 10:04 PM   #1017
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yeah im curious which cuts were indeed remixed for those official releases though?
Old 09.05.2014, 10:12 PM   #1018
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that not only did Tupac get me beefing with The Firm, but then in 1999 Kurrupt started beefing sick with the Firm and I was REALLY fucking into Kurrupt in 1999 yo..

Quote:
Yeah im curious which cuts were indeed remixed for those official releases though?

ALL these were remixed more or less, even if a little bit, some have more radical changes, it will take me some time to go through and actually pick out which ones are literally different beats.. For now I'll put an asterisk next the ones I know off my head that are different on the official releases from the original bootlegs.. If you search these on YouTube the Bootleg versions are labeled as "OG"

Secretz Of War**
As The World Turns
Black Jezus
Hell 4 Hustler**
High Speed
Teardrops and Closed Caskets
U Can Be Touched
When We Ride On Our Enemies**
Never Be Peace
Fair Xchange
Late Night**
Ghetto Starr**
Military Minds**
Who Do U Believe In
Lil Homiez**
Good Life
Letter To My Firstborn
Thug N Me
Everything They Owe**
M.O.B
World Wide Mob Figgaz
My Closest Row Dogg**
Runnin On E**
Out On Bail
Thugz Get Lonely Too

Here is an example of the difference..

Closest Row Doggz Bootleg version

Until End of Time version

here is the Bootleg version of Closest Row Doggz (mistakenly called Roaddoggz but the actual street term is Row Doggz to describe somebody you were in jail together with)

These were all released on Until The End of Time, Better Dayz, Still I Rise, and Loyal To The Game..

Here is a tracklist of the Makaveli Bootlegs for comparison

http://www.mixtapetorrent.com/makave...ape-collection

Old 09.05.2014, 10:29 PM   #1019
noisereductions
invito al cielo

you're the man.
Old 09.05.2014, 10:44 PM   #1020
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqgZOl0jBc

This is definitely Kurrupt's strongest solo record, indeed it was one of the most banging rap records of 1999...

Call Shots.. Loose Canonz..Who Ride Wit Us..Represent Dat GC (feat Snoop).. Tha Streez Iz a Mutha.. Girls All Pause.. Ho'z A Housewife..Callin Out Namez.. it seems like every track was banging yo.. The flow and cadence on this record is superb westcoast, indeed one of the most sophisticated pure rapping records blended with those singing ass westcoast choruses which indeed inspired Dr Dooom to come out with that track in 2000 of "No Chorus"

484950 51 52535461 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth