Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mondo Golem (my former project) - Making Sense Of It
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
This is a shameless self-promotion thread. Sorry, guys.

At the age of 16 I started a music project called "Romeo Bizarre" which later on I would rechristen to "Mondo Golem". It was hard to make out which genre I went for then as it is now. Mostly it was just a hobby and to be completely honest, I now hate most of the material I produced back in the day. But for some reason I look back at it with a smile on my face. To me it meant doing something creative and had a very cathartic character. Granted, a lot of it was just the anarchic, atonal bullshit you would expect to hear from a 16 year-old guy. But creating music to me meant entering a vast realm of possibilities, aching to be explored. I saw as a true and pristine exercise of freedom. And eventually I got better at it over time.

So how would I describe the music I produced in the four years of the project's existance? It is a weird mix of atonal no-wave influenced, stripped down recordings, some minimal wave, dark ambient, post-punk, gothic-rock and surreal synthpop. One term that definitely fits is "lo-fi", my recording techniques were spartanic and limited. But since most of the songs I produced were pretty much demos anyway, I guess that adds to the character. I'm still not sure what to make of my output but I thought I'd put some of the tracks that I think were the better ones on one final compilation. I discontinued "Mondo Golem" last year and now I'm in the mood for a retrospective, I guess you could say I'm making sense of it (hence the title).

The whole album is available on youtube now. I thought some of you might find it interesting. It's not really good by any means but it once meant a lot to me and maybe there actually are a few people who enjoy the rough character of it.

So, without further ado:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek-2...ZPMTxqs_i_TF2g

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth