Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Further Education / Going to University again
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2011, 12:30 PM   #61
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Gimple
if you had anything to say, you'd say it.

you don't, thus you produce pointless wankery, deliberate obscurantism. you don't want anyone to be able to get it, because that would rob you of your meaningless ego centric speciality.

guys like you are essentially window shopping hipsters who move references around in order to say nothing. its a purely aesthetic display. like flower arranging. these people just get stuck like that in their mid 20's and then they are fucked, they will never escape. they hit a certain plateau and madness awaited beyond it so they doubled back on their tracks and are just going around in circles. i dont blame them. but its not a good thing.

the people that actually have something to say are already saying it, and it's free. that's because it's written for the purpose of affecting the world, not retreating from it. it needs to be understood, because it is trying to transmit a meaning.

fuck jsotr for suing the guy who released their archives for free.

i'd say that i hoped the tory cuts lost you your job but it's probably worse for you to just be allowed to continue drawing your circles.

and dont pretend i'm trying to get a rise out of you you narcissist. i don't care that much. you are your own reward.

Anyway. Research is something I'd be interested in, not so much the teaching though. Maybe someday. My dissertation contains the right portion of wankery, I suppose. That's inevitable (and diverting).
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2011, 02:33 AM   #62
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
I originally went to an art school my freshman year. Then pretended to take a class a communtiy college once a year to satisfy my parents while I developed my tolerances for drugs and alcohol. Now, I'm 24 and working on an aa degree. While there were many other factors and circumstances I won't elaborate upon, both personal and financial (and legal) I gotta say that while at times I am disappointed with my decisions to put off education, I also have a much stronger resume, as well as life and work experiences in many fields. I can bar tend, cook in 4 star restaurants and below, drive a fork lift, repair canoes, and fix most engine problems on most cars.

But another reason I have taken so long to get my degree is because I simply love learning. I am not too fond of our education program and process here in the usa, but I love learning about new and old topics, having an overall and well rounded knowledge of any and everything. I can use poems and oil paints to express the life cycle of eudicots and monocots. Not that I would, but the point is, I could, thanks to what I have learned in college. My only real incentive to graduate is a piece of fucking paper that might get me a higher salary. But in this market/economy, where 9/10 bachelor degree graduates can't find a job, why should I rush?

This also ties into something that's been troubling me a lot lately: the importance of money and wealth versus a life of content (as in the contents of a book, not content as in happy...or I guess both apply). What good is a 6 figure income if you work too hard to enjoy it? A fancy house and car to show off to people? Luxurious vacations to exotic places for a week, where your only memories are from photographs? The truly wealthy man should not be determined by his finances, but rather his ability to earn a living no matter where he goes. And in order to do that, one must need a well rounded and well informed education of many studies and work experience, and the humility to accept and perform any job, no matter how "beneathe" him it may seem.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2011, 11:03 AM   #63
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
This also ties into something that's been troubling me a lot lately: the importance of money and wealth versus a life of content (as in the contents of a book, not content as in happy...or I guess both apply). What good is a 6 figure income if you work too hard to enjoy it? A fancy house and car to show off to people? Luxurious vacations to exotic places for a week, where your only memories are from photographs? The truly wealthy man should not be determined by his finances, but rather his ability to earn a living no matter where he goes. And in order to do that, one must need a well rounded and well informed education of many studies and work experience, and the humility to accept and perform any job, no matter how "beneathe" him it may seem.

I likk ethis part. Everyone in my family and most other people I work with think going to college is precisely to make BIG BUCKS. NOt just get a good job...but to make BIG BUCKS. They always tell me how lucky I will be and how much money I'll have any all that jazz but....I have toconstantly remind them that I am studying to become a teacher....a job which isn't paid so much around here. Then the persuasion comes. "Why don't you want to work downtown in a big ass building" they tell me. I dont' want to. I don't care about making a lot of money. I"m fine with a salary to get me by.......(Oh...I also forgot, I'll be running a company with my siblings in a few years.)
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2011, 02:50 PM   #64
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
right, having money is nice, but you should also have enough time spending it, no? So I think the best constellation (for me) would be to work only part time, while having the income of an (average) full time job (you also won't feel what we have here and call tax progression to such an extent). And the right education might be a big help in achieving this aim.
Old 09.07.2011, 03:40 PM   #65
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
right, having money is nice, but you should also have enough time spending it, no? So I think the best constellation (for me) would be to work only part time, while having the income of an (average) full time job (you also won't feel what we have here and call tax progression to such an extent). And the right education might be a big help in achieving this aim.

I don't quite understand this. I sometimes need time off or time to do anything and can't get any and it's very frustrating... but I don't understand the aim to work very little. I'd be bored. Honestly, I think a better aim is to work at something you're passionate about and gives you pleasure. Money is important, but not that important. I think there's a sad culture that "work" should mean something that is boring and unpleasant.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2011, 03:58 PM   #66
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

well, I'm hardly ever bored in my free time ... nor in my job at the moment.

My aim wouldn't be work very little, like one day per week, but work something like 20 hours a week (which I do now in fact). That sounds like a good work life balance in my opinion. If I decide to do training on court, I'll have to work 40 hours anyway (for 5 months). No drinking on weekdays - hooray.
Old 09.07.2011, 06:03 PM   #67
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
well, I'm used to 60 hours a week, 40 would be great, 20 hours would get me bored. It depends what you're doing really.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth