Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ethnic, Racial, Religious, etc. Identity
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.17.2010, 03:34 PM   #121
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
everyone knows its butters! that's me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9My-2KtvU
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 03:49 PM   #122
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
happy ash wednesday y'all

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 04:47 PM   #123
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
happy ash wednesday y'all

it's ASS wednesday, with that american apparel thread
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 04:52 PM   #124
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ps - re: african-american

wikipedia to the rescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...an_American.22

please people, read for comprehension before ranting:

"The term African American carries important political overtones. Earlier terms used to identify Americans of African ancestry were conferred upon the group by colonists and Americans of European ancestry. The terms were included in the wording of various laws and legal decisions which some thought were being used as tools of white supremacy and oppression.[124] There developed among blacks in America a growing desire for a term of self-identification of their own choosing."

"With the political consciousness that emerged from the political and social ferment of the late 1960s and early 1970s, blacks no longer approved of the term Negro. They believed it had suggestions of a moderate, accommodationist, even "Uncle Tom" connotation. In this period, a growing number of blacks in the United States, particularly African American youth, celebrated their blackness and their historical and cultural ties with the African continent. The Black Power movement defiantly embraced Black as a group identifier. It was a term social leaders themselves had repudiated only two decades earlier, but they proclaimed, "Black is beautiful"."

"In this same period, a smaller number of people favored Afro-American. In the 1980s the term African American was advanced on the model of, for example, German-American or Irish-American to give descendents of American slaves and other American blacks who lived through the slavery-era a heritage and a cultural base.[124] The term was popularized in black communities around the country via word of mouth and ultimately received mainstream use after Jesse Jackson publicly used the term in front of a national audience, subsequently major media outlets adopted its use.[124]"

"Many blacks in America expressed a preference for the term, as it was formed in the same way as names for others of the many ethnic groups in the nation. Some argued further that, because of the historical circumstances surrounding the capture, enslavement and systematic attempts to de-Africanize blacks in the United States under chattel slavery, most African Americans are unable to trace their ancestry to a specific African nation; hence, the entire continent serves as a geographic marker."

"For many, African American is more than a name expressive of cultural and historical roots. The term expresses pride in Africa and a sense of kinship and solidarity with others of the African diaspora—an embrace of pan-Africanism as earlier enunciated by prominent African thinkers such as Marcus Garvey, W. E. B. Du Bois and George Padmore."

---

so, suchfriends is a black panther, but the rest of the country took a cue from jesse jackson (she's got you son in her).
Old 02.17.2010, 05:00 PM   #125
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of people on this board are clearly having an identity crisis.

"a subjective sense as well as an observable quality of personal sameness and continuity, paired with some belief in the sameness and continuity of some shared world image. As a quality of unself-conscious living, this can be gloriously obvious in a young person who has found himself as he has found his communality. In him we see emerge a unique unification of what is irreversibly given--that is, body type and temperament, giftedness and vulnerability, infantile models and acquired ideals--with the open choices provided in available roles, occupational possibilities, values offered, mentors met, friendships made, and first sexual encounters."
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 05:08 PM   #126
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ps - re: african-american

wikipedia to the rescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...an_American.22

Interesting history, although phrases like, "Many blacks in America expressed a preference for the term," and, "Some argued further..." are problematic, particularly as no citations are given (or COULD be given for that matter).

Further, since my experience has taught me that any number of blacks reject the term, its ubiquity is in question.

Again, interesting, and thanks for posting, but I do believe I'll continue my unpopular plea for precise language.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 07:15 PM   #127
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb's Crunchy Delights
i used the kjv because i like it, but i haven't found anybody who disputes that it's slaves that he means and is specified in other translations.

if jesus was so caring and thought we should all be kind to each other and consider everybody to be equal, why didn't he condemn slavery in spite of the prevailing attitude of the time?

you can separate love and hate. one's kissy kissy and the other's punchy punchy

couldn't we have a discussion about another book like Imajica, the Pigeon or Love in the Time of Cholera?

The Bible is such a lonely book...

"And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her."

"Then the elders of the congregation said, How shall we do for wives for them that remain, seeing the women are destroyed out of Benjamin?"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 07:50 PM   #128
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
lol seven years. fucking amateurs.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 07:51 PM   #129
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
lol seven years. fucking amateurs.

I see you picked up on my point exactly. very perceptive

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 08:00 PM   #130
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I have been entasked with The Devil's Favorite Girl© for 13.

Job knows not of my patience.
Old 02.17.2010, 08:17 PM   #131
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I have been entasked with The Devil's Favorite Girl© for 13.

Job knows not of my patience.

but he knows of your frequent need for motherboard replacements. he told me about it.
Old 02.17.2010, 08:23 PM   #132
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I do not commerce with the devil.

it's a trick. get an axe.

ps: I would like my religious identity to be listed as "Grand Inquisitor".
Old 02.17.2010, 08:42 PM   #133
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Are you a Leo?

[chortle]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 08:49 PM   #134
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Again, interesting, and thanks for posting, but I do believe I'll continue my unpopular plea for precise language.

language is never completely precise-- think of it as defined by 3 vectors

one axis is chomki's universal grammar

another axis is social usage-- not everyone applies the same logic

the third axis is time, which causes drifting, evolution, and leaves many fossils behind--e.g., grammar-defying idioms & rules, the english subjunctive, etc.

besides, reality is so fucking detailed, absolutely precise language is by definition an impossibility-- read some borges. "the analytical language of john wilkins" is a good one.

here african-american is a political tool, i say power to those who've wielded it & fuck correction.
Old 02.17.2010, 08:59 PM   #135
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You quote one name in the context of linguistics, and you quote fucking Chomsky? What are you, a fucking idiot?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.17.2010, 09:01 PM   #136
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
bloody chomsky.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 09:07 PM   #137
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
bloody chomsky.

I don't think you'd say that if you understood the deep structure of language. Then again, you'd be a fucking retard to take that utter horseshit seriously.

Quote:
Old 02.17.2010, 09:24 PM   #138
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I don't think you'd say that if you understood the deep structure of language. Then again, you'd be a fucking retard to take that utter horseshit seriously.

i actually love chomsky, well enough to give him a wry smile and wink if i ever saw him.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2010, 09:27 PM   #139
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You quote one name in the context of linguistics, and you quote fucking Chomsky? What are you, a fucking idiot?

if you were less of a retard you'd see why i named chomsky-- it's not namedropping. it makes a point.

you write pretty, but you think like a fartbox. hence, a theologian.
Old 02.17.2010, 09:28 PM   #140
Glice
invito al cielo

Nah, he's ok. It just aggravates me how he's given precedence over someone like Dave Crystal.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth