Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ranking Beefheart albums
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 11.16.2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
the end of the ugly
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,164
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Hereīs my list, best is first:
1. Trout Mask Replica
2. Lick My Decals off, baby
3. Doc at the radar station
4. Ice cream for crow
5. Safe as Milk
6. Strickly personal
7. Spotlight Kid
8. Shiny Beast
9. Clear Spot
10. Unconditionally Guaranteed
11. Bluejeans and moonbeams
12. Mirror Man
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2010, 03:27 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo
 
atsonicpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 29,282
atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=180418

enjoy. 2 page discussion on the topic.

mine

1. ice cream
2. decals
3. doc
4. shiny beast
5. trout mask
6. strictly personal
7. safe as milk
8. spotlight
9. mirror
10. clear
11. bluejeans
12. unconditionally

doc is the best for beginniners, decals is probably the best overall (though not my personal fav), trout mask is the most important, strictly personal is the most underrated (and better versions of all the songs exist on mirror man and safe as milk reissues; there is an album called IT COMES TO YOU IN A BROWN PAPER BAG that came out a few years ago that collects all those songs, as well as one or two never before released songs, and it's by far my favorite beefheart album, but I'm not including it since it's not a "Real" album; regardless, hearing strictly personal without the audio bromo seltzer is priceless)
__________________




 
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2010, 04:27 PM   #3
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo
 
DeadDiscoDildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,921
DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer Decals to Trout Mask.
But Safe as Milk to them all. (does that make me an untrue beefheart fan?)

I like the bluesy psych pop jams.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Mortte Jousimo
the end of the ugly
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,164
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=180418

enjoy. 2 page discussion on the topic.

mine

1. ice cream
2. decals
3. doc
4. shiny beast
5. trout mask
6. strictly personal
7. safe as milk
8. spotlight
9. mirror
10. clear
11. bluejeans
12. unconditionally

doc is the best for beginniners, decals is probably the best overall (though not my personal fav), trout mask is the most important, strictly personal is the most underrated (and better versions of all the songs exist on mirror man and safe as milk reissues; there is an album called IT COMES TO YOU IN A BROWN PAPER BAG that came out a few years ago that collects all those songs, as well as one or two never before released songs, and it's by far my favorite beefheart album, but I'm not including it since it's not a "Real" album; regardless, hearing strictly personal without the audio bromo seltzer is priceless)

I agree about the doc, it was also first album I heard. But if somebody wants kind of "mainstream" Beefheart album at first, I will recommend Safe as Milk or clear spot. To some ears Doc might be a little odd. I agree also Decals, it was very hard to me decide which is better, trout or decals. Some day it is decals, some day trout.

I havenīt heard those different versions of Strictly songs. I check out, if those albums are in my hometown library. Iīm kind of "puritan" I mean the original versions of the songs are the most important to me. Of course it is interesting to hear some different versions, but I think itīs kind of boring that in many cd re-issues are bonus songs that are for example mono versions for the original album songs.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2010, 02:38 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
the end of the ugly
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,164
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I prefer Decals to Trout Mask.
But Safe as Milk to them all. (does that make me an untrue beefheart fan?)

Not at all, Safe as Milk is very great album! Maybe I wonder a little, if someone prefers Unconditionally or Bluejeans, although they are not as bad albums in my opinion as I many think of them. The rest Beefheart albums are just great, eventhough I think the four greatest albums are: Trout Mask, Lick my Decals, Doc at the radar and Ice cream.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2010, 04:54 AM   #6
Mortte Jousimo
the end of the ugly
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,164
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Not at all, Safe as Milk is very great album! Maybe I wonder a little, if someone prefers Unconditionally or Bluejeans, although they are not as bad albums in my opinion as I many think of them. The rest Beefheart albums are just great, eventhough I think the four greatest albums are: Trout Mask, Lick my Decals, Doc at the radar and Ice cream.

I was going to say, that I think Unconditionally and Moonbeams are quite ok albums to me, although many Beefheart fans donīt like them at all.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|


Thread Tools

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth