Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2016, 08:32 PM   #47721
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Tuesday Night Noise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Yeah, this should belong in a different thread, but what the hell.

I was going to chime in with some albums of my own, but figured I would wait until someone started a thread......
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 12:18 AM   #47722
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
First of all, I'm not a dedicated fan of Steely Dan; I just think Pretzel Logic is excellent. Second, with the possible exceptions of Janis Ian and ZZ Top, these selections are dismal.

You are NOT. See this thread, you self-absorbed Finnish.
I think your name should be R`n`R Nazi. Because just like Nazies, you make your own, unlogical rules what´s R`N`R and what´s not. I´ll bet your soup tastes bad.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 12:20 AM   #47723
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
And Buzzcocks suck.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 03:13 AM   #47724
The Real McCoy
little trouble girl

The Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard suckaThe Real McCoy cold hard sucka
Discovered some great bands recently. The one that sticks out the most for me is Melbourne's Hideous Towns.
The Real McCoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 01:40 PM   #47725
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I´ll bet your soup tastes bad.

I can't blame you there! I don't actually make my own soups. I buy the "just add boling water" kind. Sue me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
And Buzzcocks suck.

If you mean it, you have a neurological condition and you should seek professional help.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2016, 01:43 PM   #47726
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I was going to chime in with some albums of my own, but figured I would wait until someone started a thread......

I'm afraid there are too many posts about it here already. Let's hear yours!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 01.20.2016, 03:31 PM   #47727
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
No Age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I wonder what's up with No Age these days.

These comments are very odd. First, I can think of barely a handful of bands active today who ROCK in such a driving, powerful, pummeling, beautiful, and artistic way as No Age — art both as something you'd expect to soundtrack an installation in a gallery and as instantly accessible rock & roll. (And which band do we know that used to navigate "low" and "high" art so seamlessly?). Even if they were only a sum of their influences they'd be fantastic —only a masochist wouldn't want to hear Damaged mixed with MBV's "Touched"— but they're so much more, punk fury floorboarding a truck of studio/effects tricks wizardry with delicious hooks galore and actual brains for a change. Four practically flawless albums so far that make you search for the boatload of tapes, CD-Rs, 7"s and weirder formats in which they've released even more great music. Even if you don't skateboard.

As for "I wonder what's up with No Age these days", I can't tell whether it means "Oh, those has-beens" or you're genuinely at a loss about their current activities. The former alternative is downright deranged; the latter, abstruse, since they do have a website and an Instagram account and all the bullcrap one expects from bands these days.

http://noagela.org/

"January 15: FYI: Randy Randall is playing with Rat Fist going up the West Coast this week! Come out and say hi!!!"

"January 15: So stoked No Age is playing Marfa Myths Festival this year!!! The line up is awesome!!!"

And now, a bitchen show from last November:

No Age

The Irenic @ San Diego Music Thing
Saturday 14th November 2015

AUD: SP-CMC-8 > SP-SBSB-10 > Sony PCM M-10 (24 bit/48Hz) > Audacity > CDWav

http://nomorethanabigcrashingbeathap...renic-san.html

Old 01.20.2016, 07:59 PM   #47728
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
These comments are very odd. First, I can think of barely a handful of bands active today who ROCK in such a driving, powerful, pummeling, beautiful, and artistic way as No Age — art both as something you'd expect to soundtrack an installation in a gallery and as instantly accessible rock & roll. (And which band do we know that used to navigate "low" and "high" art so seamlessly?). Even if they were only a sum of their influences they'd be fantastic —only a masochist wouldn't want to hear Damaged mixed with MBV's "Touched"— but they're so much more, punk fury floorboarding a truck of studio/effects tricks wizardry with delicious hooks galore and actual brains for a change. Four practically flawless albums so far that make you search for the boatload of tapes, CD-Rs, 7"s and weirder formats in which they've released even more great music. Even if you don't skateboard.

As for "I wonder what's up with No Age these days", I can't tell whether it means "Oh, those has-beens" or you're genuinely at a loss about their current activities. The former alternative is downright deranged; the latter, abstruse, since they do have a website and an Instagram account and all the bullcrap one expects from bands these days.

Whoah, whoah, whoah-- take it down a notch!

Why in god's nam would you think that I was being sarcastic? Do I usually express my hatred of a band with idle ruminations? Do I, Severian, incessant promoter of the Flaming Lips and other shit that hasn't been "cool" since 2002, strike you as the kind of guy who would use the term "has-been?"

Settle yourself!

I was literally wondering when a new studio album might drop from the band. Since, you know, it's been three years since An Object.

I don't fuck with Instagram, and most of my music news comes from obvious places (here, Stereogum, pitchfork, blah), because I have no time whatsoever to regularly visit the official webpages of every band I like just to check and see if a new album is coming out.

I love No Age! I cannot believe you didn't take this as a given, considering the bands I tend to praise. So cool your jets, buddy!

also, I've always considered them more of a modern day Hüsker Dü. Which is kind of like saying Damaged-era Flag + MBV, innit? No Age's sound has a shit ton of Flip Your Wig in it. Moreso than just about anything else, in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. Though the misunderstanding seemed to be entirely one-sided.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2016, 10:28 AM   #47729
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Flaming Lips was never cool. You got fooled by Dallas assholes.
Old 01.21.2016, 11:21 AM   #47730
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Flaming Lips was never cool. You got fooled by Dallas assholes.

Maybe "cool" is the wrong word to describe that particular band. Personally, I think they're a million different kinds of awesome, but I understand and appreciate that they're also probably super irritating to many.

Still, they turned Madonna's "Borderline" into a slow, pummeling death synth epic. Too cool for school.
Old 01.22.2016, 04:27 AM   #47731
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

By the way, Paul Clipson rules! I just stumbled upon his work few days back and it is amazing!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2016, 06:05 PM   #47732
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I was literally wondering when a new studio album might drop from the band. Since, you know, it's been three years since An Object.

I don't fuck with Instagram, and most of my music news comes from obvious places (here, Stereogum, pitchfork, blah), because I have no time whatsoever to regularly visit the official webpages of every band I like just to check and see if a new album is coming out.

This argument is unsustainable. You "have no time whatsoever", but posting that question here took you longer than it would have taken you to click on a simple website link. (Not to mention you do have all the time in the PLANET to bore us out of our screaming skulls with interminable and frequently pointless exegeses of every single goddamn song you can think of).

Just for the record, I don't "follow" anybody on Instagram, Facemook, Twatter, etc. — I don't even have the necessary accounts. But let's move on to the substantial shit:

Quote:
also, I've always considered them more of a modern day Hüsker Dü. Which is kind of like saying Damaged-era Flag + MBV, innit? No Age's sound has a shit ton of Flip Your Wig in it. Moreso than just about anything else, in my opinion.

I've always had problems with phrases like "The [artist's name] of the [time period]"; they sound like "New Dylan", classic platitudes from incompetent writers. Having said that, YES, absolutely, there's a ton of Hüsker Dü in No Age; hell, the duo even filled up for Grant Hart and Greg Norton in 2009, with Randy Randall sporting a reasonable facsimile of Norton's famous handlebar moustache:

First time "In A Free Land" was performed since 1987, by the by. Of course, while no Hüskers album might be earnestly labeled "shoegaze" (dumb label that was, anyway), they were pathmakers from hardcore to a particular kind of melodic rock in which washes of massive guitar distortion colored it all. And then Sugar's records came out on Creation in the UK. All in all, I would like to point out that despite tremendous achievements like reinventing the psychedelic wheel with their cover of "Eight Miles High" (a major candidate for best cover EVER) and Zen Arcade, Hüsker Dü's approach was also a bit traditionalist, straightforward in a way. In that sense, No Age may be closer to a band like Mission Of Burma, who also wrote its share of "pop" songs but messed with electronics both in the studio and, more impressively, live.

Old 01.22.2016, 06:23 PM   #47733
Severian
invito al cielo

You're such a good guy, Soup Nazi.
Old 01.22.2016, 06:35 PM   #47734
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're such a good guy, Soup Nazi.

YAH WELL you're not getting in my pants.

Old 01.22.2016, 10:38 PM   #47735
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
YAH WELL you're not getting in my pants.

That's ok. I have no more time for seduction than I do for Instagramming. I have a strict schedule to keep of boring you assholes until to unclench with my ruminations on every song I hear. I'm already decades behind.
Old 01.24.2016, 01:15 AM   #47736
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Zen Arcade - cold windy record perfect.

Yeah. I've always identified as more of a New Day Rising kind of guy, but honestly I don't know which album I prefer. Zen Arcade is just one of the strongest albums of that decade, up there with Daydream Nation. But on New Day Rising I felt that they settled into a sound that was very much their own. A sound that was a sustainable for a pop band. But seriously, that's a hell of a Sophie's choice.
Old 01.24.2016, 08:26 AM   #47737
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sophie's choice.

Adios Zen, with your four or so good songs. Easily the most overrated album ever. New Day has about seven good songs, making it their best album. So, easily the most overrated band ever. They look neat and have a good sound, they just can't bring the tunes.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2016, 04:49 PM   #47738
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses

confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2016, 07:13 PM   #47739
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Adios Zen, with your four or so good songs. Easily the most overrated album ever. New Day has about seven good songs, making it their best album. So, easily the most overrated band ever. They look neat and have a good sound, they just can't bring the tunes.

I've always been more of a Jesus & Mary Chain kind of guy, especially for that era and the whole noise+pop thing. I still blast early JAMC fairly regularly. But I almost never listen to Hüsker Dü anymore.

Still a great, great band in my opinion.
Old 01.24.2016, 07:52 PM   #47740
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
They look neat and have a good sound, they just can't bring the tunes.

Bellevue now has a room with your name on it.

1887228723372377238423852386 2387 238823892390239724372487 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth