Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 7: polvo - today's active lifestyles
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.15.2008, 12:50 PM   #41
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
99% of music is math and all music can be reduced to math if you think about it. I highly doubt there are that many bands that are complex for complexities sake, except something like Orthrelm.

The only thing with math rock and mathy bands is some of the dumb band names and song titles. Rumah Sakit, for example, has the worst song titles I've ever heard. And there's this fucking amazing math rock band called "Giraffes? Giraffes!" ....... I mean, come on!!

Other than that, yes, a 7/4 beat is usually more interesting than a 4/4 one.

What are you talking about? You make little sense.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2008, 01:45 PM   #42
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Really 99% of everything is math if you think about it.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2008, 01:47 PM   #43
sarramkrop

I've never heard anything more ridiculous than that. Sorry, no offence to be taken.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2008, 01:52 PM   #44
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Well I was just saying because when I write a song the last thing I'm thinking about is math. Just because it has patterns or can be measured in frequencies does not make it math. But when you think about it that way everything can be broken down into math taking a bath for example, first the have the rate at which the water flows and then the volume it takes up in the tub. Then once you get in you start dealing with displacement and over time, at a constant variable depending on room temperatures the heat will change. So on and so on.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2008, 01:56 PM   #45
sarramkrop

Oh, I see.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2008, 06:46 PM   #46
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I made perfect sense. In fact, it's impossible to convey my message more plainly than how I conveyed it.

The only thing I didn't elaborate on, a 7/4 beat or whatever usually sounds more interesting and creative and will perk up my ears more than the same ol' 4/4 beat. But 4/4 beats work fine too usually. It doesn't really matter. I'm just saying, if you write off bands just because they're considered "mathy", you're losing out on lots of incredible, forward-thinking, creative songs.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2008, 09:50 PM   #47
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I would agree that 99% of things are math. I mean even using a computer, you are interacting with a device that is performing millions of mathematical calculations per second.
Old 03.16.2008, 07:04 AM   #48
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I would agree that 99% of things are math. I mean even using a computer, you are interacting with a device that is performing millions of mathematical calculations per second.

but what about the many amazing phenomenons of life itself? breathing, talking, listening, sexing... do you put this down to maths?
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2008, 07:17 AM   #49
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Haha sexing. Well, if you wanna get into genetics...
Old 03.17.2008, 07:16 AM   #50
sarramkrop

Ok, whatever.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 10:23 AM   #51
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i do agree that most everything we do is related in some way to math. we just don't think about it that often, if at all.

i love basic math and stats, but algebra is not my favorite subject.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 10:25 AM   #52
sarramkrop

To state that all music is math is a little silly, that's all.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 11:51 AM   #53
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
it technically is, i mean all intervals are mathematic. in the middle ages when all of they split up the seven libveral arts, it was split into a group of 3 and a group of four. in the group of four where all kinds of mathematics and music...

anyhoo i DLed this album the other day and it is pretty sweet....

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 12:54 PM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I avoid this band like I avoid most bands described as "math rock." It's not fair and hypocritical on my part but hey life sucks.

there is absolutely nothing but genius noise rock in polvo's discography

math rock is just a term, get over it.

it means nothing
Old 03.17.2008, 12:55 PM   #55
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My Celebrate the New Dark Age 3 seven inch vinyl EP is my pride and joy. I hunted it for years.

Polvo is oneof my top 5 bands ever. Lve what they do and how they do it and what it makes my brain feel.

my
Old 03.17.2008, 12:56 PM   #56
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
but what about the many amazing phenomenons of life itself? breathing, talking, listening, sexing... do you put this down to maths?

yes. no one is saying math causes this, but that math is integral to everything.
Old 03.18.2008, 12:20 AM   #57
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

I have the copy with the tigers. On CD though.
Old 03.18.2008, 12:30 AM   #58
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
there is absolutely nothing but genius noise rock in polvo's discography

math rock is just a term, get over it.

it means nothing
That post is from over six fucking months ago. If you read further, you would see that I did get over it.

You assholes can quit jumping down my throat about it.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2008, 01:53 AM   #59
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
this thread is hilarious.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2008, 01:59 AM   #60
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Arguments over maths = lol

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth